Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from boards forum because I spoke Irish!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

janeybabe wrote: »
    Just want to say that I hope the OP hasn't started people thinking that all Irish speakers are complete tools. I like to think I'm relatively normal!
    I don't think anybody thinks that janey - dunno about normal though, is anybody on boards normal?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

GA361 wrote: »
    If you think that is so obnoxious,why did you reply to a previous thread in English,even though I wrote the original post in Irish?

Because I was replying to someone who clearly has little Irish. I wasn't replying to you.
    stevec wrote: »
    I don't think anybody thinks that janey - dunno about normal though, is anybody on boards normal?:rolleyes:

LOL too true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 the rook nook

janeybabe wrote: »
    Because I was replying to someone who clearly has little Irish. I wasn't replying to you.

Even so,janeybabe,you are still contradicting yourself.
    GA361 is probably write though.We must accept his and evryone other who irish's fundamental rite to speak his/her native linguo.
    You seem to be hell-bent on refusing people's rites to speak their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

GA361 is probably write though.We must accept his and evryone other who irish's fundamental rite to speak his/her native linguo.

Linguo dead?

Linguo IS dead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm feeding the troll I suspect, but hey I like a good bit of ire rising and frankly I am enjoying this.
    That still doesnt cahnge the fact that I am trying to get across to all ye anti-republicans.
    Anti republicans? How in gods name can I or anyone else be against a republic because of this? In any case a goodly number of my family fought for and indeed in two cases died for this little island, while way too many were hiding behind their mothers skirts.
    The fact that you put down the Irish language(i.e our badge of nationhood),by definition makes you anti republican.
    Oh this is tooooo good. You couldn't make it up really. :D
    Irish is more important than English in the eyes of this country's complete administration.
    That's great. If it was so important more would speak it and speak it fluently. But that is of the topic of your ranting.
    No,Collins spoke English to prevent the Black and Tans from brutally murdering any more Irish people.
    :rolleyes:
    Yes they did.That was the reason the moderator gave for banning me unfairly.
    Eh no for the umpteenth time it was your next off topic post. Can. You. See. This.
    I think ye have lost this one.
    Didn' think it was a competition, but right you are.
    At this stage.All it is is mods sticking together to try and beat me down.
    Registered users seem to have different opinions to the mods
    Nope and nope really.

I actually hope this did get on Joe Duffy. It won't, but still.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Indeed. But that's not relevant to this debate. Again, the OP was banned for arguing with a moderator and taking the thread off topic - in Personal Issues, a heavily moderated forum. Plus, while everyone has the right to speak in their native tongue (obviously) there is no reason to do so in the middle of a conversation that's being conducted in a different language - just for the sake of it. Anyway, it's debatable as to whether Irish is an Irish person's native tongue. I consider English my native tongue, and Irish to be the language of our ancestors, which the occupying British unfortunately did their best to destroy, but at least it's not dead.
    Huh?? Who's "you"? And now you've the focus on people "speaking their minds"? I thought it was on people speaking in their native tongues... Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Your opinion is wrong though

They are called opinions for a reason, they cannot be right nor wrong, intelligence is obviously a weak point for yourself.
    Now would you do us all a kind favour by taking your head out from up your arse, brush the massive chip off your shoulder and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dudess wrote: »
    Huh?? Who's "you"? And now you've the focus on people "speaking their minds"? I thought it was on people speaking in their native tongues... Which is it?

Maybe he was speaking to me?

Anyway, in response to his response to me:

facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Well that wasn't worth the read.

/sips tea and looks for a good thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

According to our records you either are GA361 or a sibling/relative. Could you clarify?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

OP: The vast majority of mods have done well on boards.ie, IMO, especially when you consider that they are volunteers. I've tossed in an Irish phrase every now and then on several boards.ie forums, when I thought it appropriate, over the past couple of years, and never been challenged on it. But in all fairness, most of what I've posted has been in English with respect for the larger audience (plus, my Irish could stand some serious improvement, too!). For example: Ni'l ach beaga'n Gaeilge agam. Ta' me' a' foghlaim (Not only that, I could also use an Irish language programme to replace this MS English only!). So I doubt that the use of Irish in a post was the real issue, per se, in your banning, but rather if your post was on topic, understood, and appropriate for the for the thread and forum.

**Now I do have an issue with Ruu, because he likes "Ruubarb" pie! (but that's for another forum, like TCN!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Funny how when the OP wrote in Irish he couldn't even be bothered to put in the fadas and even funnier for someone who "claims":rolleyes: to be a "Republican":rolleyes: that he can't even spell Pearses' first name properly.....

When did "Bionn", "ta", "cairdiuil" ever come into Irish?
    Bíonn brón orm nuair a fheicim daoine mar tusa.

Fixed that for the OP, our one and true Republican who can't stand our inability to speak Irish:rolleyes:...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Wow, this has been blown totally out of proportion. I don't see any harm in posting in Irish. Does it really matter whether or not we speak it anymore, if you don't understand it, just ignore it. As for it containing offensive material that needs to be moderated, i have seen much offensive language directed towards GA since he has opened this topic and that hasn't been moderated. As for the people typing in codes such as "01010101". Why isn't this moderated... It contributes nothing to the forum and is not even funny. I would rather see something like that banned than off-topic comments. And i agree that it was the moderator that brough upon the change of topic by posting the warning publicly. This could have been done through email or pm. Anyway, I also agree that GA seems to be looking for attention here and that he was banned not for speaking irish but for arguing with the moderators comment which i feel he has the right to do but not publicly on the forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jaffa20 wrote: »
    As for the people typing in codes such as "01010101". Why isn't this moderated... It contributes nothing to the forum and is not even funny. I would rather see something like that banned than off-topic comments.

It's binary, it's the computers first language and it's only natural that people use it. It's a disgrace that you don't respect that.

CuLT wrote: »
    According to our records you either are GA361 or a sibling/relative. Could you clarify?

Whether I am GA361s friend/relative is irrelevant.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It's important if you are just GA361 backing him/herself up by pretending to be another poster.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Really? So you think that most of the people that share his point of view are accounts he registered himself or his friends/relatives accounts doesn't show how wrong he is? It's also more than a little sad if you have to create accounts to make it look like people are backing you up.

Well you need not worry about that cos I aint.There is no law against two people usong the same computor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well you need not worry about that cos I aint.There is no law against two people usong the same computor.
    Cooties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

That's a little sad, tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Friend or relative, which is it?

It's binary, it's the computers first language and it's only natural that people use it. It's a disgrace that you don't respect that.

Yes that's binary code from the earth planet. Here on Volton, we use only the O. That is what i found offensive :D

Oops now we are going off-topic. Ban for us it is:rolleyes:

Gordon wrote: »
    Friend or relative, which is it?

What does that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Ban for us it is:rolleyes:
    3a5bdfe6c4b6048cbac0aeb38e3ea51f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What does that matter
    Because you seem to be sidling away from answering any questions regarding the fact that you and he could be one and the same. If that is the case then it means that you are both one person, the same person. 2 man posting, 1 man band.

Sherifu wrote: »

LOL :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Sherifu wrote: »

That is one seriously UGLY child.

Gordon wrote: »
    Because you seem to be sidling away from answering any questions regarding the fact that you and he could be one and the same. If that is the case then it means that you are both one person, the same person. 2 man posting, 1 man band.

Not that it is any of your business,but he's my friend.I dont think that my opinion should be taken less seriously because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Don't really think it was worth a ban... GA was obviously just being a smart ass by posting in Irish...

However, the last two bans were ridiculous... 'Off-topic posting' FFS

• Advertisement

I dont think that my opinion should be taken less seriously because of that.

Well he's your "friend" so it makes you quite biased, plus he obviously had something to do with you posting here if you're using the same computer as him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement