Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from boards forum because I spoke Irish!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GA361 wrote: »
    I never said that I would bring this on the radio.
    This is more of an internal matter.It is a light-hearted issue to which I didnt expect such a serious reaction.

Could anyone tell me what a troll is?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DeVore wrote: »
    I spent 6 summers in a place outside of Galway called Camus in the 1980s. Love the language, hate the 'tards who beat it into us, forced us to read Peig and hijacked the language (and the real nationalist beliefs) and tied it to some jumped up thug squad extorting money from the 6 counties.

DeV.

If it helps I wont teach Peig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

In common language a troll is just an adgitator?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I know, it's sad that this is how i spend my saturday but i just came across it and became engrossed. i have a few other posts though. Btw, i don't agree with how GA approached the situation, he should have went on feedback as the rules state. Also, i do believe that he is an attention seeker by posting it publicly. But i do agree with him that he should be allowed to post in irish if he wants to. It's not harming me and i don't speak irish. But if the moderator says he can't, so be it. Not the end of the world! Anyway, thanks for believing me:D
    No offence, but would you say the same if I posted a reply to a deeply personal question that probably took you ages to pluck up the courage to ask in a language that you didn't understand. The op wasn't banned for replying as gailge, he was banned for being an arsehole who ruined a thread that was started by someone looking for some help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GA361 wrote: »
    In common language a troll is just an adgitator?
    Yeah, basically someone who is deliberately trying to piss people off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Yeah, basically someone who is deliberately trying to piss people off.

Ha ha.I do enjoy the odd debate now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I know, it's sad that this is how i spend my saturday but i just came across it and became engrossed. i have a few other posts though. Btw, i don't agree with how GA approached the situation, he should have went on feedback as the rules state. Also, i do believe that he is an attention seeker by posting it publicly. But i do agree with him that he should be allowed to post in irish if he wants to. It's not harming me and i don't speak irish. But if the moderator says he can't, so be it. Not the end of the world! Anyway, thanks for believing me:D

I only believe you because I read some of your other posts. (ie. the post on the Grinds thread).

Newbie + Posting in a thread in Feedback = Re-Reg
    Most newbies don't see feedback before they reach 40/50 posts, you did. As soon as AC saw your posts, it was and usually is automatically assumed that you were a re-reg or something along those lines. It's very rare that it's wrong to assume something like that.

Bare in mind that there is a forum in place to deal with the irish language specifically(as a sub-forum of after hours). The post, in question, is one in the personal issues forum, which I don't think different languages should be allowed in at all. And if we allow Irish on the forum, then why can't all the languages be allowed. Also, not every mod can be expected to be able to understand irish.

Also, bare in mind, despite the OP's accusations, he was not banned for speaking irish, but rather questioning a mods decision and going off-topic. I was also banned from PI for one week for issuing a response to someone who criticised, and i was banned because my post was offtopic. If I was not banned, it would be sure there would be more people who would take the liberty of posting off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

janeybabe wrote: »
    If it helps I wont teach Peig!

Isn't it off the course since like, the 90's?

Nah, you can still do it, but hardly anyone does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

DeVore wrote: »
    I spent 6 summers in a place outside of Galway called Camus in the 1980s. Love the language, hate the 'tards who beat it into us, forced us to read Peig and hijacked the language (and the real nationalist beliefs) and tied it to some jumped up thug squad extorting money from the 6 counties.

DeV.

See? See what I mean? Hot. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, but to be honest the writings of Maidhc Dainín Ó Sé - the latest sterotypical rural dullard students are forced to read these days - aren't particularly enthralling either.

Who the hell is peig?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

nevf wrote: »
    Who the hell is peig?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peig_Sayers

zzzzzZZZZZZZZZ

sueme wrote: »
    See? See what I mean? Hot. :D

Yup, he just sold himself to me!
    Yeah, but to be honest the writings of Maidhc Dainín Ó Sé - the latest sterotypical rural dullard students are forced to read these days - aren't particularly enthralling either.

Maidhc Dainin is so cool! He came to our school a when I was in TY. He's so interesting and really funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yup, he just sold himself to me!

Maidhc Dainin is so cool! He came to our school a when I was in TY. He's so interesting and really funny.

see... see...

This is why wimminz shouldn't be allowed on serious threads.

Can't you see there is serious bizness going on here.:mad:

Sherifu wrote: »
    Um, that sounds like fun.:rolleyes:

But I have to say it, right here, right now; the way irish is taught in 2nd level education is ridiculous.

It is forced upon you from an early age, and instead of appreciating it, people like me develop a great hatred for it.

stevec wrote: »
    see... see...

I apologise and offer you beer and then go do the dishes.

Um, that sounds like fun.:rolleyes:

But I have to say it, right here, right now; the way irish is taught in 2nd level education is ridiculous.

It is forced upon you from an early age, and instead of appreciating it, people like me develop a great hatred for it.

A student asked me why she had to learn Irish...and all I could say was she just had to! No reason!

Stupid curriculum ruining my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

if he got banned, that would just be Boards.ie being racist against irish people of course.

Damn Irish. They took our jobs!

A student asked me why she had to learn Irish...and all I could say was she just had to! No reason!

Stupid curriculum ruining my job!
    I'd actually like it if I had to learn irish and it was fun to learn. But the way it is now - don't get me started on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

see... see...

Sorry. I thought the serious business was over.

I assumed the troll would be outed...I dunno..13 pages ago, but carry on, analyse it some more.

/files nails

I apologise and offer you beer and then go do the dishes.
    maith an cailín.:)

FTR, the only bit I remember about peig is the cigarette between the toes bit - LMAO.

I bunked off most of Irish class.

sueme wrote: »
    I assumed the troll would be outed...I dunno..13 pages ago, but carry on, analyse it some more.
    He's still here, about 15 posts ago;)

I bunked off most of Irish class.
    I was in the honours class of irish until just before the Mocks and I switched to ordinary level, but stayed in the honours class.

Got 70% in the Mocks and the teacher let me away without having to do any work for the next two months. Sweeeeeet! Of course, I am screwed now. In my Junior Cert I kept thinking of german instead of irish.... These languages are a tough job.

I've only been learning German recently - the grammar is nearly as fubar as Irish. modh connileach (sp.) FTW.

I've only been learning German recently - the grammar is nearly as fubar as Irish. modh connileach (sp.) FTW.
    And the brilliant thing about german is that you can just use Google Translate to do your homework - a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

ja Herr Google ist mein Freund...
    meine Freundin ist mein Lehrer FTW.

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one who did that....
    n00b...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wow, this has been blown totally out of proportion. I don't see any harm in posting in Irish. Does it really matter whether or not we speak it anymore, if you don't understand it, just ignore it.
    Oh Jesus Christ. NOBODY has a problem with anyone posting in Irish. However, why write a post in Irish when the conversation is in English? Why? What would it achieve other than to be "contrary"? Ditto if the conversation was in Irish and someone posted a comment in English. Somehow I don't think there'd be such an uproar over people taking exception to that. Anyway, that's not even the argument. Once again: the OP was banned for being off topic and arguing with a moderator on a heavily moderated forum.
    I also agree that GA seems to be looking for attention here and that he was banned not for speaking irish but for arguing with the moderators comment which i feel he has the right to do but not publicly on the forum.
    Exactly. So what is your issue?
    -Freebird- wrote: »
    Don't really think it was worth a ban... GA was obviously just being a smart ass by posting in Irish...

However, the last two bans were ridiculous... 'Off-topic posting' FFS
    Off topic posting is not tolerated on Personal Issues which is totally fair. It's fine to a point in After Hours but not Personal Issues. Would you not consider the agenda of the particular forum? There are suicidal people starting threads there - is it too much to ask for people to stay on topic in a serious forum like that?
    Hagar wrote: »
    I have to say that I am saddened that a poster has been taken to task for posting in Irish rather than for the content of the post, which was utter drivel.

He may be a troll and and shyte stirrer but to demand that he post in English is just wrong.

Effectively he was banned for questioning on thread an indefensible demand to post in English only. Not just at all IMHO
    Ah Hagar, come on!! Of course it's defensible that the moderators of PI insist people post comments in English in a thread that's being conducted in English. He then became off topic and got stroppy with a mod. He would have been banned for that whatever the context. Personal Issues is a forum that deals with really serious stuff - being off topic is not appropriate. I've been banned for being off topic on Personal Issues and just left it.
    so what your saying is you dont like people from your own country:eek:
    Yeah, sure. That's exactly what he's saying... :rolleyes:
    What would be wrong with that anyway?

Also OP, the title of this thread is rather misleading. You were not banned from Boards, you were banned from one particular Boards forum. If you were banned from Boards, how the hell are you able to start threads on this forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement