Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I knew someone somewhere would be blaming us

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Stekelly wrote: »
    Em, no, just no. One thing you cannot call the general public of Ireland is the brains of Europe.I come across far to many people on a daily basis who are I'd say skirting the stupidity line and could easily drop into the bracket of "mildly metally retarded" on a bad day than I feel comfortable with.
    So would you say the Irish are below average intelligence compared to say your average Dutch or German voter? Dem tick padies, is that your line? Because if thats what you are trying to say, its something like a "mildly mentally retarded" person would say. Dur.
    Well in fairness , if you look at it from an elction pov, 99% of the people politicians in Europe (regardless of your view on how the decisons were reached) are being told what to do by a quarter of 1% of the population.
    Fixed that for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Maybe people could educate themselves before voting next time should it come up again instead of "I dont know anything about it so I'll just vote _______"

As a matter of fact, although I'd consider that I was reasonably we'll read, and could (more or less) understand Lisbon I voted NO on those grounds. And I suspect a sizable majority of NO voters did too.

But like I said in another thread. I was undecided until the day I cast my vote, and a YES win wouldn't have caused me any loss of sleep.

However looking at the political lies and back peddling since the NO win, if I was asked to vote again, on the same treaty I'm no 100% confident that my NO vote was the right choice.

Welldone Ireland - Power to the people!.

Oh yea, best keep this on topic - taxi drivers.

Got a nice chap last night, he knew where Lisbon was but didn't have a clue where Portmarnock was, or the Malahide Rd. His English wasn't brilliant either. Yea I blaim him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Mairt wrote: »
    His English wasn't brilliant either. Yea I blaim him.

Oh, the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Mairt wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, although I'd consider that I was reasonably we'll read, and could (more or less) understand Lisbon I voted NO on those grounds. And I suspect a sizable majority of NO voters did too.

But like I said in another thread. I was undecided until the day I cast my vote, and a YES win wouldn't have caused me any loss of sleep.

However looking at the political lies and back peddling since the NO win, if I was asked to vote again, on the same treaty I'm no 100% confident that my NO vote was the right choice.

Welldone Ireland - Power to the people!.

Oh yea, best keep this on topic - taxi drivers.

Got a nice chap last night, he knew where Lisbon was but didn't have a clue where Portmarnock was, or the Malahide Rd. His English wasn't brilliant either. Yea I blaim him.

This perfectly sums up how I feel, except I voted yes and in the case of another vote, I would now most definitely be No. Aint democracy wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

+1 Archeron. This whole mess has revealed a more sinister side to European politics. I wonder if the No vote might not be stronger in a subsequent referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Archeron wrote: »
    This perfectly sums up how I feel, except I voted yes and in the case of another vote, I would now most definitely be No. Aint democracy wonderful.

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lol, brilliant:D
    stevec wrote: »
    LOLLED.:D

We need to find a new 'cause' for Rb.;)

Ah, I've my hands full with this as it is (and it's certainly far from over!) but I've a growing gripe with COD4 on the PS3...?
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    so you admit that thousands upon thousands (i would say the majority) voted out of ignorance and yet you think it would be political suicide to get us to vote again?

do you not think it would be acceptable for the government to renegotiate the treaty a bit, explain to people that taxes and abortion aren't affected, that the commissioners don't actually represent their countries and have portfolios such as "human rights" and that our hospitals won't actually be privatised and then get them to vote again?

would you be so against another vote if mass ignorance had ended up with a vote you didn't like?
    Posted via Mobile Device

If a Yes had came through instead, I'd have simply accepted it, as would the majority of the No side tbh.

We certainly wouldn't get an "are you sure" vote if it was a Yes anyway :)

Yep, I think any effort by FF to get another vote and try to get the "right" answer on this will be met by a very bad reaction, particularly if they try to "educate" people on it. People may have voted out of ignorance, but they certainly won't want the Government telling them what to think whilst being faced with a "you got it wrong last time" scenario.

In fact, those who voted out of ignorance for a Yes may well turn to a No should they try to get another referendum on it.

Advertisement