Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NewsTalk

• 14-06-2008 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Anybody know why there is no Late Night Live consumer slot on newslalk any more:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

No sorry I don't know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is- its only on a Monday night though- Dermot Jewel (I think his name is) from the Consumer Association hosts it at about 11.30PM on Mondays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I lsiten every moonday but roger green is on insteda

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 El Gran Senor

SMC is correct - It's still there on Mondays at about 11.30pm but it can sometimes be a little late as the Panel can run over - especially last week with the Lisbon Treaty

BTW - has anyone noticed people like Joe Duffy (and a few others) calling it the Lis BON Treaty ?

Why do some presenters insist on trying to re-pronounce words differently ? RTE are great about talking about the GOR-dai instead of the GAR-dai

Really really really p^sses me off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Brenda Power was on Newstalk last week talking about the Lisbon Tre-a-ty (three sylables), Orla Barry used to say Thigh-land & 'Thigh-food' before I texted her about the silent H, why was it up to a listner to correct her ? Matt Cooper 'Today FM' = I was thought Irish trueout my school days . . . :o

Eileen Dunne was on the RTE TV News last night talking about Kosova instead of Kosovo, and to be honest I have given-up on Irish Radio/TV pronunciation, because as far as I can see 'anything goes' ~ it just doesnt matter & nobody cares :o

There are probably dozens of similar misprounciations too, but as I said . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed.. Brian Carty,the GAA commentator was pronouncing a player Emlyn Mulligan of Leitrim in the Leitrim/Galway game as" Emm-ill- inn" even though his co-commentator John Maughan was pronouncing it correctly numerous times.

He kept it going thru the whole game and annoyed me so much that I rang RTE to complain.

The previous poster has a very good point, is there no-one who can, after the first 3 or 4 times the on air person gets it wrong contact the person and says" "Listen Brian, that lad Emlyn Mulligan, his frikken name is EMLYN not EMM_ILL_INN, why are you out of step with everyone else and driving the fcukin listeners bonkers."

Can't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

and of course don't forget Michael Murphy on RTE Radio 1 news at the weekends who ar-tic-u-lates ev-ery syl-a-ble. Its one extreme or the other in the RTE newsroom !!
    What about Anne Doyle and Purrrt Leesha. Does anyone from Portlaoise actually call the town that ?

Boardsbud wrote: »
    and of course don't forget Michael Murphy on RTE Radio 1 news at the weekends who ar-tic-u-lates ev-ery syl-a-ble. Its one extreme or the other in the RTE newsroom !!
    What about Anne Doyle and Purrrt Leesha. Does anyone from Portlaoise actually call the town that ?

No they dont, but Anne is pronouncing it correctly.

I wouldn't have an major issue with regional accents,or correct pronunciations viz a viz the colloquial incorrect pronunciation, as in Portlaoise,but stuff like Miriam O'Callaghan pronouncing "get" as "geh" and such like that gets me.

Ah, but is it Portlaoise or Portlaoise-a . . . . .

The problem with Newstalk & all media services here is that you can say either, or make up a new version if you want? there is no consistancy just as previous posters have said :(

There are pronunciation departments in other 'Professional' Radio ststions across the Globe, Newstalk & RTE obviously dont have such services, which is a shame in this day & age.

• Advertisement

Portlaois-eh I would say myself.

Another one is "Crow Park" listen for that as it WILL crop up again.

People are too lazy to say "CrokePark, requires a bit of effort with the tongue and lips so the don't bother.... oops dragging thread off topic I fear, sorry.

Gerry O'Sullivan on Newstalk always talks about the G-A instead of G-A-A always leaving out the second A, but to be fair to Mr saliva I think all Radio presenters say G-A instead of G-A-A for some odd reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

geez, you guys must hate george hook and his speech.

I listen to newstalk more then any station, but I find myself switching off when orla barry is on, or when the Off the ball lads come on..

The off the ball show is just such bad radio since ger gilroy left it, they try to have that 'on the edge' type controversial humour, but just come across as plonkers. Lucky for them they get good guests in john Giles and paul Mc Grath etc,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ArthurF wrote: »

Eileen Dunne was on the RTE TV News last night talking about Kosova instead of Kosovo, and to be honest I have given-up on Irish Radio/TV pronunciation, because as far as I can see 'anything goes' ~ it just doesnt matter & nobody cares :o

Actually Kosova is what the Kosovans call their country so technically it's correct.

You will notice that most Newstalk News presenters say Kosovo as opposed to Kosova that was the point I was making again (inconsistancy) in the media, but actually, you do have a point because even in Kosovo there are arguments between the different peoples as to which is the correct pronunciation, but in this part of the world the Beeb will say Kosovo, Sky say Kosovo, ITN say Kosovo, Newstalk say Kosovo, and most in RTE say Kosovo ~ then Eileen says Kosova . . . . :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I can't speak for the British news outlets, but Irish ones have certainly recently recieved a communiqué regarding the Renaming of the newly independent region as Kosova, highlighting the Albanian pronunciation "a" over the Serbian "o", and containing a request to refer to it as such in News broadcasts (The upper Enclave of Northern Kosovo remains under Serbian Influence and retains it's original spelling & pronunciation for reference) .

I haven't heard all that much reference to it recently, to be honest, but as well as hearing Eileen Dunne and the Newsreaders on Newstalk pronounce it correctly in the last few days, I did hear both Adam Boulton last night and the 6 o clock guy on Sky yesterday say "Kosova"

Leaving Kosovo aside for the moment, what about the other points made in Posts #6 #7 and beyond . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

ArthurF wrote: »
    Leaving Kosovo aside for the moment, what about the other points made in Posts #6 #7 and beyond . . .

Sorry, Since you brought it up, I thought you may want to know why people were calling it Kosova.

As for further discussion, I have commented on #7 with all the relevant information I possess, and to be honest, regarding the other posts you're seeking comment on; I've either not heard the broadcasters in question, or I have no really strong opinion on the subtopics contained therein. In the interest of fairness, I try to stick to commenting on what I know about.

Sorry, Since you brought it up, I thought you may want to know why people were calling it Kosova.

Yes I agree with you, but I am just saying to 'all' lets move on discuss other words too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I don't have anything to chime on in the Kosovo/a debate, but I was listening earlier and had to switch over because of the newsreader. Yes, I understand that breathing is an essential part of our lives, but Tara Duggan breathes after each sentence as if she were about to do a 20 foot dive! She reminded me a bit of those tongue twister puppets from Bosco with their deep breaths.

The station has gone to the dogs since it went national.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about a consumer programme on Newstalk and when it was on, not a thread about the pronunciation skills of various presenters.

If you want to start a thread on that please do. As this has gone completely off topic I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement