Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

koolkid wrote: »
    Hi Robbie exactly what you want by text can't be done exactly.
    What you can do with the SigNet is have one number for an alarm & another number for confirmed alarms.
    A confirmed alarm is an activation on 2 different zones or a panic alarm.
    However It would only send normal alarms to number 1 & confirmed alarms (including PA) to both.
    Its an interesting type of application. I will look into it more & put in a request for future software updates.
    Pet sensors are available & can work quite effectivly with a little bit of trial & error.
    They basically work by masking a certin height above the ground.
    If you have a pet that climbs up on tables & chairs the look in narrow beam curtain PiRs

Your actually wrong here, Koolkid.....:o

It CAN be done on a HKC DMCText digi. Think about it....;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Really!!! Text one number & not the other.
    I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Really!!! Text one number & not the other.
    I'll look into it.
    Think about it...;)

Program your PA Zone as 'Tech1'.
    Program your PA SMS Number as 'Tech1', instead of 'user'...
    Bingo.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

screwlox wrote: »
    Your actually wrong here, Koolkid.....:o

It CAN be done on a HKC DMCText digi. Think about it....;)

Unfortunately the panel is out of date. :rolleyes:

@koolkid So the only thing missing is an IP interface that 90% of customers dont want.
    No point in saying wireless technology improved since its not a wireless panel yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

using technical zones will work for the texts. I stand corrected.
    WRT IP customers do want it. 90% just dont know about it. about 40 - 50% of our our installations are now SigNet with IP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Unfortunately the panel is out of date. :rolleyes:

@koolkid So the only thing missing is an IP interface that 90% of customers dont want.
    No point in saying wireless technology improved since its not a wireless panel yet.

The HKC panel is a great panel but it is very dated at this stage. Anybody buying an alarm now will want to have that alarm for at least ten years if not more so getting a HKC system now would be madness.
    I install them from time to time and I find that the processing speed of the panel is shockingly slow and it's very frustrating when programming zone names as its always a second or two behind, drives me mad.

Regarding the IP interface, this is the way of the future. Full access to the system through a web browser has so many possibilities and anyone who is savvy with the net will want this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

WRT IP customers do want it. 90% just dont know about it. about 40 - 50% of our our installations are now SigNet with IP
    The HKC panel is a great panel but it is very dated at this stage. Anybody buying an alarm now will want to have that alarm for at least ten years if not more so getting a HKC system now would be madness.
    I install them from time to time and I find that the processing speed of the panel is shockingly slow and it's very frustrating when programming zone names as its always a second or two behind, drives me mad.

Regarding the IP interface, this is the way of the future. Full access to the system through a web browser has so many possibilities and anyone who is savvy with the net will want this feature.

Fair enough :)
    Sorry for dragging the thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

Just completed renovating house, rewired the alarm system as the old system wasnt working.

Just wondering what price a signet system to cover the following would cost:

Or would i be better sticking to hkc - proven

2 doors, 12 windows

2 pirs 1 on landing - 1 ceiling mount for rear sunroom/kitchen

3 keypads - front door, back door & bedroom

1 bell - 1 dummy and 1 internal sounder

What is the ip conectivity useful full, can alarm be reset remotely?

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi,

Just completed renovating house, rewired the alarm system as the old system wasnt working.

Just wondering what price a signet system to cover the following would cost:

Or would i be better sticking to hkc - proven

2 doors, 12 windows

2 pirs 1 on landing - 1 ceiling mount for rear sunroom/kitchen

3 keypads - front door, back door & bedroom

1 bell - 1 dummy and 1 internal sounder

What is the ip conectivity useful full, can alarm be reset remotely?
    A lot of equipment there heres a breakdown
    Signet 200p €250-€300
    Sensors €10-€15 each
    Contacts €2
    Keypads €50-€60
    SABB €35-€45
    Decoy €15
    With IP on the signet you can do everything the same as if you were at the keypad.
    I would strongly recommend against HKC at this stage. Much older technology & very limited features compared to the SigNet.
    Proven? Yes but so are the Horizen, Itec, Vista5 & Scope 3 panels.I doubt you want any of them now, do you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Thanks, i was going to install this myself as involved in IT game, do you recommed anywhere i can purchase these in Dublin, northside?

Also do you know any companies that will install this kit as was going to get a price on someone to install the system for me.

Thanks
    A lot of equipment there heres a breakdown
    Signet 200p €250-€300
    Sensors €10-€15 each
    Contacts €2
    Keypads €50-€60
    SABB €35-€45
    Decoy €15
    With IP on the signet you can do everything the same as if you were at the keypad.
    I would strongly recommend against HKC at this stage. Much older technology & very limited features compared to the SigNet.
    Proven? Yes but so are the Horizen, Itec, Vista5 & Scope 3 panels.I doubt you want any of them now, do you?:D

• Advertisement

In druncondra
    http://www.rspl.ie/reliablesecurity/Main/Home.htm

PM me & I will quote for installation if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I can quote you too. My details are on my site.
    Probably best to get at least 3 quotes

Jnealon wrote: »
    Probably best to get at least 3 quotes
    +1 Always good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Cupla questions:

The signet 200p is the first model in that range with IP, from what I can see. Why exactly would I want IP on the alarm, other than remotely setting and unsetting? Is X10 built into it, or is it an external module? And does the X10 module work as a remote X10 server?

I've been getting mixed advice regarding voice diallers and text diallers. Some say they will work with our Smart Telecom line, others say neither will, others say voice dialler will but text won't. Can anybody confirm any of this specifically with Smart?

Many thanks.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

So I have an ASTEC 63 Alarm, and on the display panel, I have a 61 Call Engineer message, along with Fault, and Battery being displayed.

I am assuming the battery needs to be replaced. I've seen the instructions in this sticky and am considering giving it a go ?

I called my alarm installer and was quoted €30 battery, and €68 callout, so am thinking I can save myself at least the callout charge?

Where can I source a battery, and what kind should it be ?

Alarm was installed around 6yrs ago.

6 years is about right for a battery in an Astec system.
    Here is the one you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

hi,
    I have a ten year old HKC Secure Watch alarm fitted. It is working perfectly but would like the option of text messages and text alarm control. Is this possible to retro-fit this option?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a ten year old HKC Secure Watch alarm fitted. It is working perfectly
    No surprise there, they are great alarms. I bet it will keep going for another 10 years if you service it properly.
    Is this possible to retro-fit this option?
    Yes it is Gavin. This will greatly enhance your security too as it uses GSM technology.

A phone line alone is not very safe IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Thanks for the prompt response.

Is this an expensive option?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In the region of €300 AFAIK. Try Borsatec, Phelans or Reliable Security.

• Advertisement

Phelans have ceased trading.. I would recommend Reliable Security.

Phelans have ceased trading
    Oh! I didnt know that, thanks.
    When did this happen?

Last week

Last week

That is a pity, I thought they were doing really well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Another hkc securewatch question . The chime function on the entry door ,can i program it to work on all doors and windows ? I had an horizon panel about 15 years ago and it could but this dosent seem to have the facility .

The chime function on the entry door ,can i program it to work on all doors and windows ?
    Only if you make them all entry/exits. That would not be a good idea though!

Thanks for the reply ,i was thinking more of a full arming but use the chime as the bell .It was handy with kids knowing something was open without a full alarm going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭altor

dsane1 wrote: »
    Another hkc securewatch question . The chime function on the entry door ,can i program it to work on all doors and windows ? I had an horizon panel about 15 years ago and it could but this dosent seem to have the facility .

it is programmed in the option menu of the zones..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭altor

a bit more info for you dsane1..
    to activate the chime you need to set it up in the options menu of the zones.
    then on your keypad enter 0#6 to turn it on and 0#6 to turn it off.. its a good feature for upstairs windows if you have children in the house..
    hope this helps..

• Advertisement

Got it programmed ,thanks altor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement