Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭altor

Also if the alarm is to be certified, alarm cable can only be used..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Also if the alarm is to be certified, alarm cable can only be used..
    In theory.

I saw a PhoneWatch (on a new commercial premises) that had all its sensors wired in CAT5E. I was there watching it being second fixed.

2011 wrote: »
    I saw a PhoneWatch (on a new commercial premises) that had all its sensors wired in CAT5E. I was there watching it being second fixed.

If that is true it could not be certified as it is not up to standards.
    Cat5 is not recommended by any alarm manufacturer in the install of there components so if used the alarm is not up to standards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ricfeen wrote: »
    Just a quick question. Will cat 5 do for cable to sensors etc for an alarm system?
    Yes it will. Better resistence than alarm cable. But not very nice looking on your windows. Also not as flexible & a bit harder to work with on junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Cat5 isn't designed to be used for alarm systems. Cables on window sensors are often pulled and tugged by kids or when cleaning etc. As pointed out before Cat5 inner core is brittle and will break very easily, it just can't handle all the twisting and turning that needed for alarms, unlike alarm cable that is flexible and will never snap.
    If the installation is already prewired with Cat5 I would junction it in tight to the window and run a small piece of alarm cable to the sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Hi there, just came across this thread. We've just been told that our burglar alarm control panel needs replacing, a bit of a shock as it's only just over 3 years since it was installed :(. The company are quoting us almost €300 to replace it (almost half what we paid to have the whole system installed in the first place) and I feel that we could be throwing good money after bad. We're also reluctant to pay the company more money when it seems that we were sold a dud product 3 years ago (or am I naive in thinking that an alarm should last longer than 3 years? :mad:). Would anyone know or recommend an alarm company that might replace it for us (we don't need a new system i.e. sensors etc, just the panel) at a reasonable price?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Next they'll say the sensors are not compatible

Lumbarda wrote: »
    Hi there, just came across this thread. We've just been told that our burglar alarm control panel needs replacing, a bit of a shock as it's only just over 3 years since it was installed :(. The company are quoting us almost €300 to replace it (almost half what we paid to have the whole system installed in the first place) and I feel that we could be throwing good money after bad. We're also reluctant to pay the company more money when it seems that we were sold a dud product 3 years ago (or am I naive in thinking that an alarm should last longer than 3 years? :mad:). Would anyone know or recommend an alarm company that might replace it for us (we don't need a new system i.e. sensors etc, just the panel) at a reasonable price?!

Hi Lumbarda,
    That is strange, why do you need it replaced if it is only 3 years old ? Do you know what make the alarm is ?

Hi Altor, it's a Gard Tec system, the dial up part isn't working (it's a monitored alarm) and I guess it must be integrated as they said the whole panel will have to be replaced. I'm just wondering if it's just "one of those things" i.e. it can happen, we're just unlucky (tho' have to say don't know anyone who only got 3 years out of their alarm!) or if it's that it's a bad system and we'd be better off getting it replaced by something that we might get more than another 3 years out of! Any advice much appreciated.

Hi Altor, it's a Gard Tec system, the dial up part isn't working (it's a monitored alarm) and I guess it must be integrated as they said the whole panel will have to be replaced. I'm just wondering if it's just "one of those things" i.e. it can happen, we're just unlucky (tho' have to say don't know anyone who only got 3 years out of their alarm!) or if it's that it's a bad system and we'd be better off getting it replaced by something that we might get more than another 3 years out of! Any advice much appreciated.

I will send you a pm with my number if you want me to have a look at it for you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Which gardtec panel is it. A lot of the times when the digi goes it can be caused by lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

300 for a panel/digi replacement is actually a good price. All things go faulty from time to time and alarm systems are no exception. On the whole of it panels are actually very reliable and rarely go faulty so are unlucky.

The lightening explanation is the likely cause of the digi fault which is fairly common especially in areas where telephone lines are ran on poles.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 €300 is fairly reasonable for a panel if it includes a digi.

Thanks a million for all the advice. It's a Gard Tec GTX. The engineer asked me about lightning as well when he was out looking at it, but it stopped dialling through to monitoring about a week or so ago and I don't remember there being a storm around about then. Guess I could have been asleep though!

BTW I've learnt quite a bit about alarm systems over the past couple of days, but still a long way to go so, excuse my ignorance :o, but what's a "digi"?

what's a "digi"?

The digi is fitted into the alarm panel and is used to communicate with the monitoring station through your home phone or gsm dialer.

Thanks a mill, Altor!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

hi, i'm going to be moving into a duplex apartment soon. details are as follows

apartment is prewired for an alarm system
    need a system for 2 doors
    there are four rooms with windows on one side ( does each window panel count as one?? or is the whole window side counted as one?)
    infra red detector required
    what is the best method to detect entry through removal of a window pane?

could you throw around some suggestions and prices? I'm prepared to pay for a reasonably secure alarm system. i'm happy to discuss through pm.

For an apartment its best to go with contacts on all openings & minimum 2 Pirs (Hall & Lounge)
    Price between €650-€750) depending on the number of openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Hi, I've recently moved into a house with a Scopetronic Homeguard alarm. Lately the alarm has been going off when we are out. Talking to the neighbours it turns out that this happened repeatedly when the previous owner was there, several times a night in some cases. The code on the display is A1, so alarm zone one. Is there any way I can test to see if there is a faulty sensor somewhere causing this? I've downloaded the manual but it doesnt really give any information on this.

Also is it possible to get the alarm serviced? I figure I'll just be advised to get it replaced as its quite old now, but would rather fix if possible.

You are correct, you must have a faulty sensor on that zone.
    You could test the sensors if you have a multimeter ?
    You can get it serviced and the engineer can find the fault for you..
    Them panels are not made anymore but a panel change is still going to give you the same fault..
    Hope this helps,
    Any problems let me know..

• Advertisement

Hi Marley. If the sensors are as old as the panel , a complete new system would be the cheeper option in the long run. If you have a meter procede as follows.
    disconnect the 2 wires from zone A1 & connect to a long lenght of cable. (enough to reach every window) Connect the other end to your meter leads. Set your meter to resistence 200 ohms or 2k ohms & make note of the reading.
    One by one tap each sensor & open & close each sensor, after each action the resistence should return to its original value. any major difference indicates a faulty device. Disconnect that device & close of the cables connecter across it. Continue on till you have checked them all & you will then know what needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

koolkid wrote: »
    Hi Marley. If the sensors are as old as the panel , a complete new system would be the cheeper option in the long run.

Thanks for that. Out of interest for a new system would the house be considered pre-wired or would it mean re-wiring. Eircom will only fit a wireless system as they say the wiring is too old.

Wiring is probobly fine. Eircom just want the handiest & the dearest option. If updating
    look at something like the SigNet where wireless can be easily added if there are any problems.

Marlay wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Out of interest for a new system would the house be considered pre-wired or would it mean re-wiring. Eircom will only fit a wireless system as they say the wiring is too old.

The wiring would be ok but would need to be tested to make sure.
    Most old alarms systems can be replaced and brought up to todays standards by changing the main alarm panel. Phonewatch would rather you put in there wirefree system and not do the upgrade but thats just away of getting more money out of you..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Can anyone recommend a house alarm for a non pre wired out I think a wireless system would be the best way to go.

center15 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a house alarm for a non pre wired out I think a wireless system would be the best way to go.

Hi center15,
    There are different types out there to choose from. I suppose it depends what you want from the alarm. Do you want the alarm monitored, do you want to be able to set and unset the alarm remotely, do you want to be able to add access controls on the alarm, do you want to have it monitored through the internet, do you have a phone line in the house, do you want x10 controls on your alarm.
    Best advice i can give you is get a load of installers in your area out to give you a free site survey. They would be able to give you more info by having a look at the place you want alarmed.. If you want any more info on panels they decide to use or need any more info before you get the alarm installed just post here and i will do my best to answer your questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Thanks for the advice. I really only want a basic system, door, window and movement sensors. Remote turn off isn't too important to me, I've seen some alarms on eBay any advise if something like this will do the job. I'd be well able to install any system really. How often roughly do wireless systems require battery changes?

center15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I really only want a basic system, door, window and movement sensors. Remote turn off isn't too important to me, I've seen some alarms on eBay any advise if something like this will do the job. I'd be well able to install any system really. How often roughly do wireless systems require battery changes?

Stay away from alarms off ebay, if your going to get an alarm to protect your home then get yourself something descent.

The CS250 or the new ATS from ge are two good hybrid wire free systems. They have a built in dialer for monitoring to a monitoring station too.
    batteries on these systems last 4 - 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I'm moving house and wondering if it's worth my while to take an eircom phonewatch system with me. I signed up for the free 3 year monitoring which happened to expire just as I'm moving. I don't plan to continue with this now that I have to pay the monthly sub. Phonewatch have told me that their will be a disconnection charge if I don't continue with monitoring.

In the new house there's a bunch of wires coming out beside the fuse box which I think might be for an alarm system, but I'm not sure. Should I take the phonewatch system with me.

• Advertisement

eman66 wrote: »
    I'm moving house and wondering if it's worth my while to take an eircom phonewatch system with me. I signed up for the free 3 year monitoring which happened to expire just as I'm moving. I don't plan to continue with this now that I have to pay the monthly sub. Phonewatch have told me that their will be a disconnection charge if I don't continue with monitoring.

In the new house there's a bunch of wires coming out beside the fuse box which I think might be for an alarm system, but I'm not sure. Should I take the phonewatch system with me.

Hi eman66,
    You have the system in 3 years so your contract is up with them.. Is it a wire free alarm or wired ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement