Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi CD 76 There are only certain sensors that have the arrow. It would be on the side of the sensor head. If you are using Aritech Sensors ensure the writing is horizontal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭altor

cd76 wrote: »
    thanks,

are the arrows insite the sensor ?

If there is no arrow on the sensor head make sure the maker logo is readable from left to right..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Curtis E Bear

Hello everybody,
    Im not sure if this matter was already covered, but i have 3 questions regarding ineirtia switches and pirs,

1- does anybody know of any problems with the astec eneirtia switches?
    I am looking at installing these as they are fairly slimline looking and they can be mounted in any direction. Also considering the airetech but think the HKC look a bit bulky.

2- what are the most reliable sensors?

3- what are the restrictions, if any on the number of pir's wired per zone apart from trouble shooting when activated?

thanks in advance,

Curtis. :)

Hi Curtis,

what system are you looking to put the sensors on ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am looking at installing these as they are fairly slimline looking and they can be mounted in any direction. Also considering the airetech but think the HKC look a bit bulky.
    There are no known problems with Astec slimline sensors
    They are all pretty much the same
    3- what are the restrictions, if any on the number of pir's wired per zone apart from trouble shooting when activated?
    One PiR per zone

• Advertisement

I have installed a few of the slimline sensors from astec and no problems with them.

They are all good reliable sensors.

Depending on what system you install this can vary. Pirs can only be put on 1 zone but with the HKC you can put 10 ID pirs on zones 5, 6, 7, 8. There is no problem fault finding as they are given there own point number on the alarm system.

Hi Altor and Koolkid,
    thanks for your replys. Thinking of putting in a signet 200 system, does this have a bearing on the number of pirs?
    From all that i have read, it seems like a good system provided the correct version of software is installed?

Thanks again for the input.

Curtis.:)

Get a SigNet 220. That way you have the web server also. The same rule applies 1 PiR per zone. But the SigNet 200/220 is expandable up to 128 zones, so theres plent of scope there.

Hi Altor and Koolkid,
    thanks for your replys.

Your welcome Curtis, always here to help..

Thinking of putting in a signet 200 system, does this have a bearing on the number of pirs?

There is 8 zones on the panel so if you need more than this you will need to fit an expander to the system. The max on the 200 is 128 zones.

From all that i have read, it seems like a good system provided the correct version of software is installed?

This is correct, there have being issues but hopefully they have being fixed in there new firmware version 1.4

Thanks Koolkid,

I will probably go for the quad pir's while im at it. By the way, is there any restrictions in buying alarm panels for people that are not in the trade with the PSA lads and all that?

Curtis.

• Advertisement

There should not be as it is not against the law to install your own alarm.

Just dont put the alarm on your home insurance..

Thanks Koolkid,

I will probably go for the quad pir's while im at it. By the way, is there any restrictions in buying alarm panels for people that are not in the trade with the PSA lads and all that?

Curtis.

No Issue whatsoever.
    You can put alarm on your insurance. Just clarify its a self install & not certified to EN50131

ok thanks very much for the advice. Realy appreciate your help.

Curtis E Bear.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm going to need some help setting up a PTZ CCTV camera system soon, Picked up a new DVR system with a joystick that connects vis an rj45 connection, if I can't get figure it out I will have to ask, anyone good wth CCTV systems?

up to this we have worked with a basic system and moved on to an ICTrealtime DVR with borsatec cameras, noticed a huge improvement. Wont be installing this btw its portable kit for a hobby. Will have to post details of the latest DVR. It's 16 channel though so that's good.

Give me a shout if you need anything Stoner. Im not too far from D7 either if you want me to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Don't think you'll get a better offer than that.
    That said you can't go far wrong if the dvr and cameras share a common protocol and they are properly back focused. I find a ND filter does the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Set the camera for 'Pelco P' protocall and 9600bps.
    Do the same with the dvr and everything will work fine.
    You might have to set the same on the keyboard too, if you have one.

Just make sure the I.D of the camera is set for 'camera1' (sometimes set by dip-switches inside the actual camera) and that you turn 'termination' ON.
    (assuming your only going to have the one camera on the same dataline).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks lads, thanks koolkid might take you up on it.:)

Stoner wrote: »
    thanks lads, thanks koolkid might take you up on it.:)
    NPs. Give me a shout anythime. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Afternoon folks,

Looking for a little hep if possible.

Have had all the windows and doors replaced this week. I disconnected all the sensors myself and have tried to reinstall them this morning. However when I try to activate the alarm, the following codes appear on the screen - "A", "1", "A", "C" . I have checked all of the sensors - arrows facing correct way, etc... any help would be appreciated - cheers

Rob

PS - can anyone give me a rough idea how much it would be to install a new wirefree house alarm ? Are the ones on sale in B&Q etc any good ? - thanks again.

• Advertisement

roadster5 wrote: »
    Afternoon folks,

Looking for a little hep if possible.

Have had all the windows and doors replaced this week. I disconnected all the sensors myself and have tried to reinstall them this morning. However when I try to activate the alarm, the following codes appear on the screen - "A", "1", "A", "C" . I have checked all of the sensors - arrows facing correct way, etc... any help would be appreciated - cheers

Rob

PS - can anyone give me a rough idea how much it would be to install a new wirefree house alarm ? Are the ones on sale in B&Q etc any good ? - thanks again.
    A1 A2 etc is the zone open. No quick solution here. Yopu need to disconnect each sensor on the zones showing open one by one & cloe of the cables. Checking the open zones after doing each sensor.
    A decent wire free system (SigNet) would be between €1500- €1800 for 8-10 zones.
    No the ones in B & Q are no good. They dont conform to EN50131

Thanks koolkid

Any idea how the zones are broken down in a house generally - does A refer to upstairs. We inherited the alarm with the house from the previous owners - no instructions with the alarm - so have never been able to wook it other than turn it on and off. Anywhere I might find a copy of the original instructions ?

Rob

They are broken down by how many is on the alarm loop. The front door would be on its own as this is your entry exit zone. A pir would take up another zone.
    best thing to do is start where there is 1 cable going into the sensor and work back, you would need a multi meter on continuity to do this test..

Thanks Altor,

Will have a look in the morning - might have to call in a prof - any idea how much a callout, repair might be in Swords ?;)

Thanks

Rob

roadster5 wrote: »
    Thanks Altor,

Will have a look in the morning - might have to call in a prof - any idea how much a callout, repair might be in Swords ?;)

Thanks

Rob

Your welcome Rob,
    Anything between €60 - €100 depending on what has to be done.

If you need a pro give me a shout and i will have it working in no time :D

Sounds like the system is a Vista 5 or similar. If so Front door would be EE Panic would be just A or PA
    A followed by a number would be alarm zon 1-5
    t woul be a tamper
    Gererally zones would go from downstairs front to back to upstairs front to back, but don't presume.
    Call outs vary from €60- €100
    We do a lot in Swords PM if you want me to check it out. I will look after you on the call out charge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I am looking to get a replacement battery for the panel, judging by the internet, they are a common enough make in America, but am having trouble finding an Irish or UK supplier. Installed by Phonewatch about 4 years ago, but no maintenance contract now.

Many thanks for any tips.

Dyflin wrote: »
    I am looking to get a replacement battery for the panel, judging by the internet, they are a common enough make in America, but am having trouble finding an Irish or UK supplier. Installed by Phonewatch about 4 years ago, but no maintenance contract now.

Many thanks for any tips.

Hi Dyflin,

Were you live and i will get you one ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 magicmac

can any body help me??? i was doing a bit of decorating around the house, and i moved a PIR, but know when i go to set the alarm it comes up on the display "Call Alarm Co.86". as i cannot get in touch with the alarm co. i think another victim of the recession, could any body help me???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement