Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭altor

It alters your explanation if the board is damaged as that is how it should work if it is straight out of the factory :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

[sigh] Too many companies just want to replace insted of finding the problem. Thats the problem with Ireland today. I have been installing Astec & working with Astec from the start . Cutting the link solves the problem most of the time. If the problem comes back replace the unit , but thats going to be less than one in 10. Going the other way you have just sold 9 SABBSs to 9 people who didn't need them............
    Ahhh !! Now I see why your so eager :rolleyes:
    Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Let me jump back in here for a minute! Koolkid I can actually see your point and I'm very much of the same mind - repair first (if possible) and only then replace. At the same time, Altor makes a good point (and in fairness won't personally be gaining anything if I buy a new one!). I'm not sure now what to do! Might give that red loop wire the snip in the morning and just see what happens but I'm still leaning towards spening the 70 quid and replacing it for peace of mind.

I could say the same thing with regards the coms fault on the id sensors :rolleyes: Anyway, for the peace of mind and not having to get up at the bell again i would spend the €70..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Compudaro wrote: »
    Let me jump back in here for a minute! Koolkid I can actually see your point and I'm very much of the same mind - repair first (if possible) and only then replace. At the same time, Altor makes a good point (and in fairness won't personally be gaining anything if I buy a new one!). I'm not sure now what to do! Might give that red loop wire the snip in the morning and just see what happens but I'm still leaning towards spening the 70 quid and replacing it for peace of mind.
    I have been in this business a long time & the one thing Ive learnt is honesty & good work goes a long way. It frustrates me to see people being talked into something they don't need. Not only in this case but generally across the board in this business. It gives us all ab bad name.
    Compudaro,
    To prove the point I'll tell you what I will do. Snip the red wire (jeez this sounds like bomb disposal) If the bomb goes off... sorry if the bell goes off I will get it replaced & fitted for you for free.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    I have been in this business a long time & the one thing Ive learnt is honesty & good work goes a long way. It frustrates me to see people being talked into something they don't need. Not only in this case but generally across the board in this business. It gives us all ab bad name.
    Compudaro,
    To prove the point I'll tell you what I will do. Snip the red wire (jeez this sounds like bomb disposal) If the bomb goes off... sorry if the bell goes off I will get it replaced & fitted for you for free.

You wont get a better offer than that Compudaro, keep us posted on how you get on..

It frustrates me to see people being talked into something they don't need. Not only in this case

:eek:

Now that is harsh, i hope you did not get the 1 in 10

If I did so be it. The offer stands. I will replace the SABB & I'll come on here & put my hand up . Just hope the OP doesn't take a hammer to it to get a free bell box..:D

We have a deal koolkid! I'll give it a gentle snip in the morning...no hammers! By the way, I just checked the engineer memory and the fault it gives at the time I reconnected the SAB is 'IN'.....anyone know what it means and how can I clear the engineer memory? Thanks again

After you cut the link cable all you need to do is connect the SABB.
    Press Clear 73
    When the display shows 2 SAB press set.
    Press Clear 11 to make sure all is ok Display should say zone -
    Press clear 99 to leave engineer.
    There is no need to clear the engineer log.

• Advertisement

The plot thickens! Took down the SAB this morning and when I went to cut the red loop/link wire I noticed one end of it was disconnected from the circuit board! Now that explains a lot doesn't it! Put it back up, engineer command still showing "2 SAB" so all good? Looks like KoolKid is off the hook for fitting a new one :) Any final thoughts on the case of the "mysterious SAB"?

Like i said the solder joint was either bad or got corroded.
    Should be ok. You saved €70 & I saved a few bob as well,
    Good result all round. Off to the pub with your €70 :D;)

Sounds like a plan! Thanks again Koolkid and Altor for helping me diagnose and sort out.

Your welcome. Any hassle you know where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi

I had an Aritec/Aritech wireless alarm installed 6 or 8 months ago. I've had a couple of problems since - once a short time after installation and the company came and fixed it no problem. However, in the last 2 months I've had the alarm going off when it was switched off, when we were all at home, not opening doors/windows (actually usually when having dinner). It only happened now and again. I rang the company a few times, but they never got back to me, so seeing it was only occasional and didn't happen when the alarm was on and we were out I didn't follow it up.

Now what happened was someone opened a window while aalarm was on. Rushed to stop the awful noise and it comes up with "Zone Tamp 11 Back Room" Well, I know that, that's where the window was opened. The problem is that now I can't use the alarm at all, because no matter what I do according to the instruction booklet, you just get left with whatever step you end up on. It seems as though the instructions don't bring you the whole way through.

Any ideas? I rang the company AGAIN yesterday morning but they haven't phoned me back and tbh I have given up on them now.

Thanks in advance!

Hi JuliusCaesar,

This is becoming more of a problem everyday with the use of the 433 frequency on alarm systems. The thing with this frequency is there are too many wire free devices on it, e.g. wire free doorbell, remotes and so on. I would say you have a cs250 installed. The 868 frequency is the one anyone looking for an alarm should be getting installed.

Your zone 11 tamper fault is because the lid fell off your back window sensor. To fix this you will need to open the sensor again, there is a spring inside the sensor which is not closing the tamper on the sensor. If you watch inside the lid when putting the cover back on you should see it slot into the the lid. There is a round circle where the spring is held in place inside the lid.
    As you have said enter your code to silence the alarm when you remove the cover again..

Hope this helps, any problems let us know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bombscare

Folks, a few questions:
    - where can I buy a few Visonic wireless shock sensors (MCT-303), either online or in Dublin?
    - How much do they cost?
    - Is it difficult to add these to an existing Visonic Powermax Complete system, just to add more coverage?
    - One more thing - do they work? Are they reliable? Is it worth getting them?

Cheers.

Hi Bombscare. Welcome to Boards.
    bombscare wrote: »
    Folks, a few questions:
    - where can I buy a few Visonic wireless shock sensors (MCT-303), either online or in Dublin?
    Try Reliable Security . They are in Druncondra
    - How much do they cost?
    €40-€50
    - Is it difficult to add these to an existing Visonic Powermax Complete system, just to add more coverage?
    Do you have engineer access?
    They work, they are reliable. Are they worth getting? It depends on how much more secure you will feel with this extra security.

Hi bombscare,
    Folks, a few questions:

ADI
    Unit 5, Ballymount Business Park
    Ballymount Road, Walkinstown,
    Dublin 12, Ireland
    T: +353 (0) 1 450 1366
    - How much do they cost?

Prices are much cheaper if your in the trade.

If you dont know what your doing the answer is yes, these sensors have to be calibrated and learned into the system. If not done right you could get false alarms on them.

Yes, they are worth getting if you want to protect your windows and doors rather than just putting in motion detectors around the house.

Try Reliable Security . They are in Druncondra

Do they do visonic sensors ?

• Advertisement

They do, yes.

Thanks for the info, i thought they just sold the wire free sensors for the signet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

One down side to these shocks is the poor battery life. One wholesaler I use is actively discouraging the use of these because he is getting too many returns

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi

I hope to get wireless system installed in old house so wired is not an option as not all wondows seal correctly

I can get a Wisdom system installed for 1000 or a HKC for 1400. I understand installers charge more but is the price difference worth it

I would pay 400 if worth it as do not want any alarm issue ie false alarms etc as person using the house is elderly

Thanks
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The wisdom is a good piece of kit but I would shop around as Risco are doing some good deals at the moment.
    Without knowing the specifics I cant tell you if thats a good or bad price

I was on to Reliable Security today and they dont sell the wire free sensors for the powermax alarm.

Looking for any wireless I would always call in advance. They have sourced it for me loads of times. In fact there is very little they can't get if you let them know what you need.

noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi

I hope to get wireless system installed in old house so wired is not an option as not all wondows seal correctly

I can get a Wisdom system installed for 1000 or a HKC for 1400. I understand installers charge more but is the price difference worth it

I would pay 400 if worth it as do not want any alarm issue ie false alarms etc as person using the house is elderly

Thanks
    Noel

Hi Noel,

Your better of getting the new Agility alarm system than the wisdom from Risco if going for the wire free system.
    Is the installer going to cable for the alarm for the HKC or install a quick bridge on the system to install wire free devices ?
    HKC have a new panel coming out in the next couple of weeks so if going the HKC wired route i would wait till that is out.
    Without knowing what you want installed i cant compare or let you know what is your best option..

Looking for any wireless I would always call in advance. They have sourced it for me loads of times. In fact there is very little they can't get if you let them know what you need.

Not very "Reliable" if you have to order it in advance :D

• Advertisement

For most things , even panels I would always make a call first. No point in getting there & screaming at the guy at the counter because something is not in stock. I have often call on the way for SigNet panels. If they have none they simply send an order number to Europlex & pick it up there. Either that or they deliver to us.
    Ahhh ......I remember the harship we had to endure years ago with no mobile phones..:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement