Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

koolkid wrote: »
    To clarify. With a few exceptions, most bells do not have a battery. It's a capacitor. It is soldered to the PCB and not easily changeable.

I would like you to back up this statement with an example.
    A capacitor may be used in the strobe circuit to produce the flash but as far as backup power for the bell a battery is used. Capacitors are designed to discharge quickly and not over a prolonged period

For a capacitor to power a siren, say 6V 200mA for 15 minutes, it would be in the 10’s of farads and would be massive. I would probably not be able to carry it up the ladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boxeyes

have no land line (UPC cable and phone) and I would like to install a GSM dialler. I have a Astec 63D
    can someone tell me where to take the best input for the relay to the dialler.
    Can I take the 12V fron the internal alarm or what ???

The input can be either normally open or closed, or do I even need a 12V relay.

Any help appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

its defo the box on the wall outside guys. its been 'chirping' sporadically since we bought the house 4 yrs ago. a lad i know changed the battery (12v ?) on the box inside the airing cupboard as we where getting a warning it needed changing. this warning went when he changed the battery but the chirping returned a day or two later....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its more than likely the SABB that is faulty. If you want to be sure take the unit down & connect it on a short lenght of cable directly to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭altor

its defo the box on the wall outside guys. its been 'chirping' sporadically since we bought the house 4 yrs ago. a lad i know changed the battery (12v ?) on the box inside the airing cupboard as we where getting a warning it needed changing. this warning went when he changed the battery but the chirping returned a day or two later....

You would need an engineer to have a look at it to determine the problem. The tamper on the bell i would not say is the problem, it is likely the external bell is faulty and needs to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bryanbal

Just started to work on this panel.
    Basic question. How do i wire a dual end of line loop into a pir. i have 2 power wires and two alarm wires. two power ok. What combination do i use for the resistors and 2 wires at the pir with 4 screws with 2 alarm 2 tamper. Also is there a setting to have no eol for some zones.
    thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

bryanbal wrote: »
    Just started to work on this panel.
    Basic question. How do i wire a dual end of line loop into a pir. i have 2 power wires and two alarm wires. two power ok. What combination do i use for the resistors and 2 wires at the pir with 4 screws with 2 alarm 2 tamper. Also is there a setting to have no eol for some zones.
    thanks

I hope the attached image helps. Always best to use EOL over Non-EOL.

I hope the attached image helps. Always best to use EOL over Non-EOL.
    Thanks koolkid i have the pir going. NOW I NEED TO WIRE UP ONE OF THOSE DOOR CONTACTS WITH JUST THE 4 WIRES COMING OUT AND NO SCREWS. Can i turn of eol for these zones or whats the best option for wiring these.

There are different makes of these.
    Red/Yellow is usually the zone & Black/Blue is usually the tamper.

There are different makes of these.
    Red/Yellow is usually the zone & Black/Blue is usually the tamper.

Ya thats the combo alright koolkid. i have them working alright. it just seems like alot of connections and is messy.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be really.Have you a number of these prewired contacts going into the one junction?

Shouldn't be really.Have you a number of these prewired contacts going into the one junction?[/QUOT
    Just the one prewired contact. Just think it will be hard to hide all wires and resistors behind small contact.

Also how do i wire from panel to hkc sabb?

Also how do i wire from panel to hkc sabb?

LCS3 connects to STRB (Strobe)
    HC S1 connects to ext - (External Bell -)
    HC + connects to ext + (External Bell +)
    C connects to bho (Bell Hold Off)
    T connects to tamper return

LCS3 connects to STRB (Strobe)
    HC S1 connects to ext - (External Bell -)
    HC + connects to ext + (External Bell +)
    C connects to bho (Bell Hold Off)
    T connects to tamper return

Ya thats the way i was doing it. For some reason the led pattern didnt change to correct pattern until i put the lid on. Also i only have one resistor in,the one that was already in the sabb. Is that correct?
    Thanks for quick replys. Il call it a day.

Correct.The resistor should be in series with the tamper return.

Now For the phone line. The pstn fault clears if I have 2 wires going to top 2 screws or next 2.Which 2 should I wire cable into. Tried a manual test call ,doesn’t work. What settings do I need to check just to ring my own phone.

Now For the phone line. The pstn fault clears if I have 2 wires going to top 2 screws or next 2.Which 2 should I wire cable into. Tried a manual test call ,doesn’t work. What settings do I need to check just to ring my own phone.

Hi bryanbal,

The A/R B/T is line in and AX/R1 BX/T1 is line out. The dialer on this panel is for contacting a monitoring station. You can get a voice dialer for the ATS its a AST7200.

Ya thats the way i was doing it. For some reason the led pattern didnt change to correct pattern until i put the lid on. Also i only have one resistor in,the one that was already in the sabb. Is that correct?
    Thanks for quick replys. Il call it a day.

For the external bell i would wire it in this way.

+, S1 STROBE PLUS INTERNAL BELL
    +, S2 EXTERNAL BELL
    You also need a resistor wired across the terminals for this.
    TSIR TAMPER RETURN
    CTMP BELL HOLD OFF.
    The resistor off this fitted in the external bell.

altor wrote: »
    Hi bryanbal,

The A/R B/T is line in and AX/R1 BX/T1 is line out. The dialer on this panel is for contacting a monitoring station. You can get a voice dialer for the ATS its a AST7200.

need the AST7200 so. i had it ringing my phone continously but had no way to acknowledge the call and it was just silence with no announcement. that must be my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

need the AST7200 so. i had it ringing my phone continously but had no way to acknowledge the call and it was just silence with no announcement. that must be my problem.

Your dialler was looking for the kiss off from a monitoring centre.

• Advertisement

Yes, it will keep ringing until it gets an acknowledgement.

it just seems like alot of connections and is messy.

There is a junction box with a read fitted you can get, a lot less connections.

There is a junction box with a read fitted you can get, a lot less connections.

These are the ones you want. Fully tampered as well.

These are the ones you want. Fully tampered as well.

Yes, you can get them in reliable security. I use the HKC type but either one will work as well as the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 deepack

i've just bought a new house and its wired for an alarm. I dont want to get a monitored alarm as it seems to be a waste of money. I'd like to get one with a GSM unit to notify me if the alarm goes off.
    Any suggestions what alarms would be best to go with?
    Also if you could recommend a fitter in the Limerick area (I'm lazy on the whole DIY)

Thanks in advance

SigNet would be the best IMO . Thier GSM will also give the option of text commands into the panel. You could also go for the more expensive SigNet 220ip with intergrate web server. This will give you full control via any web browser.
    For installers here is the PSA register of licenced installers. Click search & enter Limerick.

Yes, it will keep ringing until it gets an acknowledgement.

Ftc fault comes up alot. even when i clear it it comes back on next alarm.Can i disable this until i get voice module. Seems to only clear when i power down the panel.

Dgp setup. I have registered a few devices and have tested them for alarm and tamper in dgp menu. HOWEVER THEY ARE NOT IN MY LIST OF ZONES TO TEST IN WALKTEST MENU. Will this be solved if i go to zones menu and add zones.
    Once i have them registered in dgp, is that generally all i need to do in that menu and just treat them like a regular zone and do the rest of the programming through the zone menu.

Ftc fault comes up alot. even when i clear it it comes back on next alarm.Can i disable this until i get voice module. Seems to only clear when i power down the panel.

Did you take the phone numbers you programmed into the dialer out ?
    This Comes up after the panel has failed to make a call to the central station if the amount in the retry count has being reached.
    Dgp setup. I have registered a few devices and have tested them for alarm and tamper in dgp menu. HOWEVER THEY ARE NOT IN MY LIST OF ZONES TO TEST IN WALKTEST MENU. Will this be solved if i go to zones menu and add zones.
    Once i have them registered in dgp, is that generally all i need to do in that menu and just treat them like a regular zone and do the rest of the programming through the zone menu.

You need to add these in the zone options to the engineer walk test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Where can i find decent info to replace a eircom phone watch alarm with a stand alone alarm that is monitored (but not by eircom)?

• Advertisement

hello932 wrote: »
    Where can i find decent info to replace a eircom phone watch alarm with a stand alone alarm that is monitored (but not by eircom)?

Hi hello932,

Is it i wired alarm or a wire free system you have installed ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement