Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is an Astec system
    Call engineer 14 is telling you there is a tamper condition on that zone.
    Enter clear set full & the system should indicate which zone the problem is with.
    Check that zone & you will probobly find a sensor lid loose or knocked off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Got the following quotation for a domestic alarm setup was wondering how the setup faired and what the quoted price is like?

Quote;
    HKC control panel, Battery back up, Remote keypad, External bell, Internal sounder, 1x PIR, 8x sensors, 3x MC contacts, GSM panel, Certified Installation.
    Total Price: €1398

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not a bad Price, Maybe around €150 on the dear side. HKC is a little dated now. I would be looking for maybe the Signet with web access for that price.
    When you say GSM Panel do you mean a text dialler??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

Yeah thats it. Got quoted from a different company for the europlex signet for 895

Make sure its the SigNet 300. Otherwise there is no IP access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

where would one buy a hkc system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

There are lots of places you can buy them from. I use Euroslaes in Sandyford ind. est. (01 2941802)

They provide a great service, good prices and free delivery (within reason) even if you dont have an account.

I find the Astec Global sensors work best with this system (01 6704202).

There are other good sensors out there, but these are easy to connect and very reliable.

Good luck with it!!

shamcfc wrote: »
    Most good security wholesalers. Keep away from electrical wholesalers , in my experience they tend to be dearer in my experience. If your paying cash dont be afraid to haggle. All these places are hungry for business at the moment. If your thinking of the HKC also check out the new Astec Fusion (the numbers in fishdogs post above) its around the same price as the HKC but has much more features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

Most good security wholesalers
    Like where, in the Dublin area???

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Where in Dublin are you based and we'll point you to the nearest one

• Advertisement

sig226 wrote: »
    Like where, in the Dublin area???

Thanks in advance!
    If you going for Astec
    Unit 31,
    IDA Centre,
    Pearse Street,
    Dubin 2,
    Ireland.

Phone: +353-1-670 4201

or

Reliable Security Products Ltd - Units 2 & 3 - Cian Park Industrial Estate - Drumcondra - Dublin 9 - Ireland
    Phone: + 353 1 837 2445 Fax: + 353 1 857 1685
    or

Phelan Security Systems Ltd. T: 00353 1 8571404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

My alarm is showing a battery fault on it's display but seems to be working properly, what battery is this and can I replace it myself? Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

This is what happened to mine. This is the battery the alarm uses if the power goes / is cut.
    It is a rechargeable battery designed for just sitting there without much use. I got a replacement for mine in maplins, and there are a few posts on here about how to replace it. (what order to disconnect / re connect things) I'm assuming yours is a few years old, as they should last quite a while. (my original one lasted nearly 10 yrs) I would strongly suggest to have it replaced (either by yourself or professional if you are not DIY inclined) before it goes altogether as mine did and that's when my problems started ;)
    Someone will correct me, but I think they are rated in milli Amp per hour, and you can get your rating from the manual, or usually from the battery itself.
    Good luck.

Matamoros wrote: »
    My alarm is showing a battery fault on it's display but seems to be working properly, what battery is this and can I replace it myself? Cheers in advance.

What panel is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark2009

Hi, I need to add a zone to an astec 63DV alarm system. Zone 6 is unused at present. I do not have the engineer code, but I have the user code. Is there a way around this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

My alarm panel just says Secure Watch on it, it's about ten years old now. I might take Def's advice and get the lad back that fitted it to replace the battery, me and stuff just don't get on, I've cost myself more money over the years by having a go and making a b***s of it.

For HKC the battery you need is
    12 vdc rechargeable 3.8 or 7amph
    PM me if you want me to do it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mr_mags

i'm in the middle of wiring for my alarm system,and have velux windows upstairs,do i need to cover these?got a quote from a guy and it seemed kinda high 2100+vat for 5 PIRs,14 windows-inertia +contacts(do i need both?(+9 velux?),gsm unit, and 2 keypads and bell box???i'm an apprentice electrician and was wondering if i can install this myself,but would i be covered insuarance wise after

Price seems right , there is a lot in there. Velux windows arn't essential in my opinion.
    Once they are locked they are pretty secure. Its handy having contact on them though as it prevents them being left open if your rushing out.
    Self install is fine but be carefull not to claim any insurance discounts for having an alarm . It could void your policy in the event of a claim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY.

• Advertisement

The chances are you can just connect in to the unused zone. When you remove the lid from the panel simply put in the user code to stop the alarm going off.

Disadvantage: You cannot change the parameters of the zone! Examples of this would be the pulse and gross attack settings. You may find that this zone is programmed as a 24 hour zone! This may not be what you want. You may have to enter the user code a number of times to stop the alarm going off.

If this does not work out for you you can reset the panel. This is explained in the manual. If engineer lock has been used by the original installer there are 2ways around this. Let me know how you get on first!

Good luck with it!

Got your PM matomoros I'll give you a call tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

def345 wrote: »
    ...before it goes altogether as mine did and that's when my problems started ;)....

What problems did you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is it possible to reset the engineer lock? If you don't have the code?

Remove the mains power.
    Remove the 2 links marked battery & LK1
    Restore mains power to the panel
    When the panel powers up try enter the code 4711
    if the system disarms you have reset it enter 1174 to enter engineer mode.
    If this does not work you will need either the engineer code or an engineer to reset it.
    This method can cause damage to the panel if not done correctly. It would probobly best to deal with a professional at this point. If you take other advice you could blow the main processor..
    PM if its locked & ill sort it for you.

Drop your astec alarm in to astec and they will unlock it for you

fishdog wrote: »
    Drop your astec alarm in to astec and they will unlock it for you
    Thats a bit drastic!:eek: and unnecessary..
    He would have to disconnect & mark everything & then bring it back & redo everything again..
    Anyway how is it going for you BostonB?

Thats a bit drastic!
    Yes it is
    I should have said if the engineer lock has been applied it is one way to sort it out, the other is a bit more involved. It entails shorting out pins on a chip etc.

There is also a safe method for engineers to use on site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Chamonix

Hi all,

information is really great.

Where can I buy an Aritech or Astec Alrm system. I know what I want but I need a list of shops in the Dublin area that stock Astec or Aritech alarms please. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement