Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The best way to buy Astec is to buy directly from them. They are at Unit 3 I D A Centre Pearse St. Phone: (01) 6704202

This is the cheapest way to buy Astec.

The Aritech can be bought from Kellighers (01) 2952011, Eurosales (01) 2941802. Reliable security can be good on price at times too, it seems to depend on who serves you! Units 2 & 3 - Cian Park Industrial Estate - Drumcondra - Dublin 9 - Ireland (01) 837 2445

Prices will vary a lot so shop around.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Reliable can be expensive. Prices don't vary by whose serving you they vary on who's being served. Customers with accounts obviousally get discounts. Remember if your paying cash don't be afraid to haggle. These suppliers are all eager for business at the moment. If you dont get the price you want tell them you'll go down the road to Phelans.
    PS if you want a good price from Astec PM me & I'll pick it up for you.
    If your looking at Astec you would do well to consider the Fusion. Most versatile & up to date system on the market at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Chamonix

Fishdog, thanks very much for the contact details for suppliers and the info. Much appreciated.

Koolkid, thanks also for the information. I am also going to have a look at the Fusion. I'll PM you if I decide to go with the Astec if that is ok.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No Problem . I am in with them every week anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

My home is wired with 4 core alarm wire to all the windows and doors.

I have a sounder and strobe already wired in by the over eager eletriction on the site 2 years ago.

After reading about it. I am going to attempt my own hardwire instalation.

All I need it is:

The Control unit.
    Keypad,
    8 reed switches.
    2 PIR sensors.

battery for control unit

My question at this time is:

With a four cour wire as opposed to a 6core wire. Am I restricted to what type of control unit?

I was looking at this system . I have seen them as cheap as £35 .
    http://www.sdfirealarms.co.uk/shop/adeaccentaminigen4intruderpanelwithlcdkeypad-p-367.html

I think I can do the whole lot for under 100euro. Electrician quoted 750.

so it worth a go on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

it depends on the system you fit. most intruder alarms only use 4 cores. two for alarm circut and two for tamper. do you have a system in mind? and if so what are you buying for 100 euro????
    i would recomend hkc as they are bullet proof and very easy to instal, maintain and use.
    the panel should cost you approx 130 euro +vat, the pirs would cost about 15 euro + vat and the reeds about 2.50 euro.
    the keypad usually comes with the panel and a battery is about 10 -15 euro depending on ampage. if yer looking for more info check out the electrical section as there are many alarm engineers on there to help

You would be better of without an alarm rather that that thing you linked to.
    Secondly your electrician should not be quoting you for this work now unless he is working for a PSA licenced company.
    4 wires are fine for most. But the external bell is normally 5ot 6 cores, but you can get around this.
    You could also consider the Astec Fusion which would allow you connect 2 wire sensors & bells.
    Along with
    The Control unit.
    Keypad,
    8 reed switches.
    2 PIR sensors.
    you would also need an internal siren
    All that should cost around €300-€350

koolkid wrote: »
    You would be better of without an alarm rather that that thing you linked to.
    Secondly your electrician should not be quoting you for this work now unless he is working for a PSA licenced company.
    4 wires are fine for most. But the external bell is normally 5ot 6 cores, but you can get around this.
    You could also consider the Astec Fusion which would allow you connect 2 wire sensors & bells.
    Along with
    The Control unit.
    Keypad,
    8 reed switches.
    2 PIR sensors.
    you would also need an internal siren
    All that should cost around €300-€350
    What is wrong with the type I posted?

From what a gathered the control unit is a simple relay circuit. with the more expensive units having more bells and whistles. this is from very little research so I do accept that I could be completly wrong on this.

I was shopping for the reeds at 1.70 each

and PIR honeywell type at 12.00 each.

Im not doubting ye . I just dont want the very best.

I want the best value unit.

I have a small two bedroom house .

With the lack of work out there I have all the time in the world to fit it, but money is very tight.

I could spend all day trying to explain what is wrong with it. But I'll just say 2 things ,first off you get what you pay for & secondly if they were any good wouldn't we all be using them & making nice profits on cheaper jobs

koolkid wrote: »
    I could spend all day trying to explain what is wrong with it. But I'll just say 2 things ,first off you get what you pay for & secondly if they were any good wouldn't we all be using them & making nice profits on cheaper jobs

I guess you are making sence.

My friend has an Aritech system. But I cant seem to find them online anywhere. Or the Astec type you sugessted.

Where could I purchace a control board at a good price.

I am going to have to buy one bit at a time till I have the lot gathered.

thanks for your advise

• Advertisement

this is the outside bit . It wired already. but it has 4 wires and only 2 in use.
    DSC00624__Large_.JPG
    DSC00625__Large_.JPG

Jasus. This is going to be a head fryer for a novice.

All astec products can be purchased direct from them
    IDA Centre Pearse Street

cheers koolkid;)

Your welcome. If you want me to pick anything up for you give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

gsxr to give you an idea on what's available i'd recommend you
    have a look at securitywarehouse.co.uk had to wait a few weeks to
    have the stuff delivered, but great choice & value imho

i went for a full grade 3 installation

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Hi All,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but getting a quote for installing an alarm and want to get some feeling here of what I should expect to pay. The house is prewired for window and door contacts. There are:
    14 windows
    4 Doors
    2 Pirs
    Internal Sounder which is not wired currently but can be hooked easily into alarm cable in attic
    External sounder which is wired

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIMMYBOND007

the lad about the psa lience is right lads,some times jobs like this cost you more in the end because psa are gone very strict and are fining lads that are not qualified,even the alarm manufactorys have changed the poistion of the strobes so they know the alarm was fitted are the date the psa came in ,coutry is notting but f*/king regulated:mad: reason why i am telling yous this is i know 2 lads (electricans)that got phone calls off psa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi All,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but getting a quote for installing an alarm and want to get some feeling here of what I should expect to pay. The house is prewired for window and door contacts. There are:
    14 windows
    4 Doors
    2 Pirs
    Internal Sounder which is not wired currently but can be hooked easily into alarm cable in attic
    External sounder which is wired

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Its hard without more info but anywhere between 900-1200 depending on the amount of openings.

How does this effect my home insurance.

If I got broken into. And the asser seen a DIY alarm fit. Would this put my insurance in question? Even if I did not tell them in the first place.

If you are claiming a discount for an alarm your insurance company may be taking it as being to EN50131 standard. If it is not then your policy could be void

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Can anyone tell me what the average drop in insurance quotes an alarm makes?
    Lastbuilders

It can be anywhere from 10%-30%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved from DIY

:confused:it most likely could mean your insurance would be invalid,not tryin to scare you,i am a qualified alarm installer and would not go in to that business because they regulated to much,you cant earn a living without renewing the psa lience which is ok but the price of the lience all depends on what you eared on the pervious year:mad:complete joke,so went back to collage to do gas and oil boilers and they are bringing out analayser reports that i will have to give to customers for there house insurance in case any dogey lads where messing around with boilers and may cause a fire or explosion

Not entirly correct. PSA licence costs are based on a scale related to turnover.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

went back to collage to do gas and oil boilers
    Do you mind me asking what course you did??
    I have always wanted to learn more about these. Thanks!

scale related turn over???this still means the price of the psa lience goes on what you have earned yes or no??so if you earn 1 millon turnover and john down the road earns 500,000 turnover ,who pays the most for there psa lience?its 1 rule for 1 lad and another for the other.wouldnt mind but suppliers of alarms are supose to have a psa lience to eg.argus ,b n q ,homebase ,etc,etc do you think they have a psa lience??the system is a joke all because bounchers where kicking the bol*@x out of lads outside night clubs these rules where brought in.
    I done the gas courses :gis,gid,dsc you can register for rgi once you have these. i also done oil course oft 50/101/105e/600a you can register for oftec after these
    You have to have a trade to do these courses,any trade will do ,you do not need to be a plumber because its not a plumbers job,but well worth doing if you can afford to do them,the whole lot came to €5820
    gas:
    gis=€720
    gid=€1500
    dsc=€1800

oil: 4 in 1 course=€1800

scale related turn over???this still means the price of the psa lience goes on what you have earned yes or no??so if you earn 1 millon turnover and john down the road earns 500,000 turnover ,who pays the most for there psa lience?
    Are you in business yourself???
    Turnover does not gaurantee profit or earnings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sorry to go off topic, but where are these courses run Jimmy??

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

fas and metac,do these courses.metac would be the best choice,they have excellent workshop areas,they are in mouthrath in laois,there can be a waiting list for these courses in fas,koolkid not getting into psa with you,just answer something i am trying to find out,2 companys who pays the most for there psa lience small profit company or bigger profit company?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement