Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Santa Fe Emissions "Tweaked"

Options
  • 14-06-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm buying a new Santa Fe from Northern Ireland next week - emissions 191 so getting it before 30th June to save on VRT and motor tax. During the week I saw Hyundai advertsing that the price of the manual Santa Fe here will drop in July - was confused so rang Hyundai dealer here, he said that Hyundai seemed to have "tweaked" the tests so that the Santa Fe now has emissions of 189 pushing into the lower band. The Irish Hyundai website still says the emissions are 191. Rang the guy I'm buying mine from and my Santa Fe definitely has emissions of 191. I don't understand how Hyundai can just "tweak" the test - it's the same bloody car. Anyone any ideas if I can do anything about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

erm they could of tweaked the ecu to produce a little less power at say a higher rev band thus bringing the ove r all rounded figure down a bit.... but meh , just play along....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the emissions tax and VRT would be based on the figure given on the V5 when you go to register the car. Are you getting a great deal on the car now, why not wait and get one at the reduced price after July?

If you are buying the car from the North to register after July, you won't be able to fall into the same tax category as the tweaked Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

I'm getting a really good deal on it - costing 6K less than best model here and has loads of extras. Buying now to register before 30th June and "save" on the vrt/motor tax. It's sitting in the garage waiting to be picked up - sales guy told me that the documentation (would this be the V5? I don't know too much about it) says 191 - does anyone know if this actually comes from the manufacturer or is it registered by the dealer? If they can tweak the emissions for the Irish market, why don't they do it for the UK market?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Muppet2006 wrote: »
    If they can tweak the emissions for the Irish market, why don't they do it for the UK market?
    Would there be a benefit in the UK market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Muppet2006 wrote: »
    I'm getting a really good deal on it - costing 6K less than best model here and has loads of extras. Buying now to register before 30th June and "save" on the vrt/motor tax. It's sitting in the garage waiting to be picked up - sales guy told me that the documentation (would this be the V5? I don't know too much about it) says 191 - does anyone know if this actually comes from the manufacturer or is it registered by the dealer? If they can tweak the emissions for the Irish market, why don't they do it for the UK market?

The Co2 rating for that vehicle is derived from the manufacturer AFAIK.
    Hope you get her in and VRT'd to yer liking.......nice SUV them!:)

• Advertisement

Thanks niceirishfella! Whats the manufacturer AFAIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

AFAIK stands for : as far as I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is the one you're buying manual or auto, and what Irish model are you comparing it to?

I'm pretty sure road tax is calculated on what it says on the V5, not on what Hyundai Ireland are doing to their product.

Sorry about that peasant-I'm new to this:)!!

I'm buying a manual - was comparing it to the automatic here as it has leather interior etc.

Sorry if this sounds stupid .....
    could there be a case where there will be some Santa Fes with emissions of 191 and some with 189 for sale in Irish garages? This would seem crazy as obviously people would just buy the lower emission ones (after July 1st of course). Or is it just a case where Hyundai have notified the dealers that the emissions are now 189 on all Santa Fes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The was an aD in yesterdays sunday times for the new santa fe.
    Now, this was a UK ad for the UK market.
    It had the official Co2 figures @ 191g/km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 setanta

Just to confuse things further, or might be off topic:

Looking at the VLC from my '06 Santa Fe 2WD Manual (7 seater, it has an emissions figure of 202

Advertisement