Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Porsche Ever?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 4:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭

My humble opinion set out below. I'll start off with the best 5 Porsches of all time (in descending order of desireability). Perhaps by the end of this thread we can all agree on 1. Here we go...

1. Porsche 959 - An 80's icon. Kevlar panels, individual wheel ABS, 4WD etc. As sophisticated as anything on sale today. Finished first in class in '86 Le Mans and 1-2 in Paris Dakar.

2. 993 Carrera - the last air cooled 911. Improved handling over 964 thanks to an all alloy rear suspension/subframe combo and deeply desirable, especially in Carrera 2S and 4S guises (sublime Turbo body).

3. Carrera GT - the roadgoing version of a stillborn Le Mans car, the 5.7 litre V10 was "a bitch" in traffic thanks to its grabby carbon clutch but, that aside, still considered by many to be the best supercar ever made. And it sounded like no other car ever built.

4. 997 Carrera - when it's not being a sportscar, the 997 is refined, cossetting and relaxing. It's even got a Bose stereo. Thing is, when it IS being a sportscar, the 997 is sublime - and that goes for every model from the basic Carrera to the "anthrax on wheels" GT2, the first 200mph 911.

5. Boxster - Back to mid engined layout for Porsche's entry level car - and what a car the Boxster is. Went from stunning concept to (diluted) road car in just four year but drives as brilliantly as any Porsche ever built. Current version still the default roadster. How are they going to replace it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

porsches are generally best up-side down in the middle of finglas in fire.

not too big a fan of them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

S.I.R wrote: »
    porsches are generally best up-side down in the middle of finglas in fire.

not too big a fan of them :rolleyes:

Let me guess...you'd prefer a Galanza instead?

It's probably too hard to choose the 'best porsche ever' each one is completely different from the last. For me it would be between the 930 the 993GT2 or the 997GT3. I has the serene pleasure of driving a 997GT3 for five laps at a track day in Donnington last summer. Words fail to describe what an amazing car it is to drive, it's scary to think what the 997GT2 is like to drive with all that extra power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My mothers car ended up in a field in Finglas, robbed while she was in the shops.

You are real class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

FFS the Boxter? Are you serious? Why not throw the Cayenne in there for good measure.

What about 997 GT3RS or 993 GT2/997 GT2?

Judging by the OP's username I presume he's a boxter owner.

He must not have heard the boxter isn't a real Porsche:D

I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

One of the first cars I'd buy after a lotto win would be a concours 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS.

Tasty!

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Judging by the OP's username I presume he's a boxter owner.

He must not have heard the boxter isn't a real Porsche:D

I'll get my coat

The boxter is a good car - but not a good Porsche. Same story with the Cayenne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The 2.7-litre Carrera RS is widely regarded as one of Porsche's best cars ever - personally the 964 is the best looking the 928 is the coolest and the Cayenne for the physical impossibility of it ( And better still the fact its anti everything the sandla wearing, beard growing, musley eating greenies stand for) Long live the Cayenne

tdc wrote: »
    The boxter is a good car - but not a good Porsche. Same story with the Cayenne.

Can I ask what you mean by this?
    Ok the Cayenne - but why is the Boxster not a good Porsche ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

for me its the 930 as I own one. It was the first useable everyday super car. When it came out it had stuff we all take for granted today as in a turbo and intercooler. A wickedly quick car. Drive it hard in the wet your taking your life in your hands. A beauty to look at imho.

1988 930

• Advertisement

I too like my ' 74 carrera, then again every man likes the smell of his own fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

IMHO the 1973 911 RS, 2.7~200hp, ok 200hp nowadays so what after all a diesel is getting that now, but for the year, the design (a lighter steel body, aluminium wheels / gas shocks / extra stiffened sway bars & the power to weight ratio (coming in under 1, 000kg)
    What a bloody hoot...:D:D:)

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Can I ask what you mean by this?
    Ok the Cayenne - but why is the Boxster not a good Porsche ?

The Boxter was specifically designed for customers who could not stretch to the price of a 911. It symbolises the end of Porsche as a serious sports car manufacturer and the beginning of Porsche as a company that will produce anything in order to gain profits. This led to the Cayenne and the upcoming Panamera.

The Porsche experience was defined by the 911. A watered down, less powerful, less engaging car like the Boxter does not provide the same experience.

Re the '73 RS ducktail - CAR Magazine had a really good June edition celebrating 60 years of Porsche. Derek Bell drove some of the most 'desirable' Porsches and gave his opinion. Here's a video relating to same; http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1475282987/bclid1475274950/bctid1526603205

Enjoy:)

The Boxster critics always make me smile, for a start how many of them have actually driven a Boxster & a 911 in order to make a qualified decision? & I do not mean around the estate & down to the roundabou & back! This stereotypical attitude " oh I wouldn't drive one of them, not a real car at all" & hop back into their *****" Take a Boxster S out for an afternoon & boy the bottom lip would quiver very quickly, actually no, most of them would not handle it, it's a car capable of some white knuckle driving, & if you think it will not bite back, I dare you to give it welly, I for one respect it, good boy...good boy...& it will take on & beat some of the earlier generation 911's, critics did you hear that, 911's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There are times, like now, when Porsches aren't the best cars in their class, so this thread is a bit like "Best VW ever". Nothing wrong with that, but you do have to be a Porsche fan.

Consensus is the GT-R is better than any Porsche ever was, and was the Boxter ever really class leading?

I've driven none of the above, so I can't really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

My Wife drives a Porsche Boxster before that an Audi S4 , and i have to say the Boxster is one of the most enjoyable experiences ive ever had in a car. At first u have to get used to "no backseat" , i know that sounds a little weird but from going from an s4 to a Boxster u get used to the idea of the extra room, having said that when driving it its pure fun & joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Can we ask what your current car is, and what your last one was? Your wife is a tough act to follow!

alpina wrote: »
    for a start how many of them have actually driven a Boxster & a 911 in order to make a qualified decision?

On the road I've driven an SC, 964C2, and a 997C2S. I've had the fortune of tracking a 993C4S, 997GT3 and a 986(non S). I can honestly say that the Boxter I drove came nowhere close to matching any of the 911's I've driven. That being said I haven't had opportunity to drive the 987 - I've heard good things about it though. It's not necessarily that the Boxter is a 'bad' car - it's not, but when it's judged against a 911 it doesn't come close. I think this is where the confusion and allegations of 'green eyes' arises. Judge a Boxter against a VW Bora for example and I don't think you would find anyone that would call the Boxter a 'bad' car in that instance.

tdc wrote: »
    The Boxter was specifically designed for customers who could not stretch to the price of a 911. It symbolises the end of Porsche as a serious sports car manufacturer and the beginning of Porsche as a company that will produce anything in order to gain profits. This led to the Cayenne and the upcoming Panamera.

The Porsche experience was defined by the 911. A watered down, less powerful, less engaging car like the Boxter does not provide the same experience.

Have you not heard of the 924, 944,968 and 914, or even the 912, these were all lesser models than the 911 developed by Porsche.
    The 924 was actually designed as an Audi for god sake and no one says they are not Porsches! But your saying the Boxster a bona fida mid engined, drop top sports car is not a proper Porsche ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is the 3 series not a good car because it was designed for people who could not afford a 5 series too ? :rolleyes:

BTW Porsche is one of the few profitable car companies - if it came to it I would rather see them creating excellent sports car for the masses if thats what it takes, than not surviving at all

Sorry mate I think your argument is idiotic.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Have you not heard of the 924, 944,968 and 914, or even the 912, these were all lesser models than the 911 developed by Porsche.

Sorry mate I think your argument is idiotic.

I think you have missed his argument. You say that the 924, 944 and 968 were lesser models of the 911 - correct but for their time.

I think the point tdc was trying to make is that the Boxter is the lesser version of the 911 for it's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

944 Series 2 :-)

On the road I've driven an SC, 964C2, and a 997C2S. I've had the fortune of tracking a 993C4S, 997GT3 and a 986(non S).

Fail to understand how you felt the need to tell me this, you've just told us you have driven them, would that not rule you out, going by the post I wrote..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

The Boxster critics always make me smile, for a start how many of them have actually driven a Boxster & a 911 in order to make a qualified decision? & I do not mean around the estate & down to the roundabou & back! This stereotypical attitude " oh I wouldn't drive one of them, not a real car at all" & hop back into their *****" Take a Boxster S out for an afternoon & boy the bottom lip would quiver very quickly, actually no, most of them would not handle it, it's a car capable of some white knuckle driving, & if you think it will not bite back, I dare you to give it welly, I for one respect it, good boy...good boy...& it will take on & beat some of the earlier generation 911's, critics did you hear that, 911's

I have to agree with this. I've had the 987S for a year now. The majority of people dissing the Boxster have not driven it and have absolutely no idea of its capability. It sounds simply sensational when you get it beyond 5000rpm and it has acres of power in reserve in all gears.

Someone here has posed the question as to whether the Boxster was ever considered class leading. To which I would respond, read last month's Car magazine and countless other online articles from respected journalists. It is the standard bearer of high performance roadsters. Bar none. I believe this also answers the question of the alleged "cheapening" of Porsche's image. What complete nonsense.

Ronnie3585, it was that Derek Bell article that inspired this thread. I liked his 924 GT ;)

The boxter saved porsche, it is a great car, with great balance and power. porsche held back on the power of the cayman as many critics were saying the s version was better than the entry level 911.

Porsche have been clever with there marketing and while some my turn there nose up at the cayman/boxter and even cayanne, there is no doubting these models have been marketing successes. Thus allowing porsche to buy VW.

Fail to understand how you felt the need to tell me this, you've just told us you have driven them, would that not rule you out, going by the post I wrote..

You asked the specific question;
    The Boxster critics always make me smile, for a start how many of them have actually driven a Boxster & a 911

As I had been somewhat tounge-in-cheek critical of the Boxter I answered your question that I have driven both the 911 and the Boxter and had made an 'informed decision' as you put it yourself. That is why I felt the need to tell you the above information.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    The boxter saved porsche, it is a great car, with great balance and power. porsche held back on the power of the cayman as many critics were saying the s version was better than the entry level 911.

Porsche have been clever with there marketing and while some my turn there nose up at the cayman/boxter and even cayanne, there is no doubting these models have been marketing successes. Thus allowing porsche to buy VW.

True that.

Anyone want to buy my 944 Series 2?

Heh !

Rear_Quarter_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

2008 Porsche 911 GT2.

And some one on one lessons with a certain Mr. Walter Rohl so I dont kill myself.

Beautiful 944. So clean!

Is that a fresh paint job or just polished really well?

• Advertisement

Beautiful 944. So clean!

Is that a fresh paint job or just polished really well?

Both. Had a professional respray and some work done in 2005/2006. The rest is then detailing and polishing.

Advertisement