Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Porsche Ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Again beautiful. Any excuse to show it off eh?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Again beautiful. Any excuse to show it off eh?:pac:

Thanks. Its for sale - so any chance to get some 'air time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

917K, 959, 550 Spyder & 356 Speedster or Carrera would appeal to me far more than any 911. And I would probably buy a 928GTS, 944 Turbo S or the 968 Club Sport (at least as daily drivers and for a fraction of the cost) in preference to a 911 too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

2008 Porsche 911 GT2.

And some one on one lessons with a certain Mr. Walter Rohl so I dont kill myself.

LOL. I'd be scared sh*tless of that car on Irish roads. If the ultra hard suspension set up doesn't break your back, then all that slipping and sliding will. 50bhp more than the 997 turbo and only 2WD. Also, it runs on Michelin semi slicks as standard. Recipe for some serious trouble...

However, on the track :eek:

Yea, 530bhp at the rear wheels and Irish roads - give it a week and you'll lose your license or your life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Yeah, realistically It would just be for the track, but just think how tempted you would be to bring if for a lash early on Sunday mornings.......

For a day to day, I think I would just go for a early 70's 911, something like this:

po911c68bis.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I think you have missed his argument. You say that the 924, 944 and 968 were lesser models of the 911 - correct but for their time.

I think the point tdc was trying to make is that the Boxter is the lesser version of the 911 for it's time.

Yes, thats what im saying. We could go on and on about the 924,944,etc. but im talking about the Boxter. At the end of the day, to have a real Porsche experience you have to drive a 911. Have you ever heard of anyone driving a Boxter and 911 back to back and then saying the Boxter was the better car?

As I said before, I think that the Boxter is a good car, but it is not up there with the 911. The 911 is a sports car benchmark whereas the Boxter is just a rival to the Honda S2K and BMW Z4 (both of which are also great cars).

Sorry, not trying to cause a big stir but IMO the Boxter cannot compete with the 911. Great car, yes, but should it be included in the top 5 greatest Porsche's ever? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

I actually like the Cayenne, esp the new GTS. It really is up there with Range Rover/BMW X5,etc but it's a bit pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

NiSmO wrote: »

Try explain the "masterpiece" bit to your friends at the Ascot garden party :D

Ha! Enough said:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

peasant wrote: »

Try explain the "masterpiece" bit to your friends at the Ascot garden party :D

they dont make off road tyres for the cayenne and itrsa a 4x4 :

also as JEremy clarkson once said and its 100 % true " you only buy the boxster as proof that your life didnt go as planned.... buy a classic 911 instead "

and no ronnie, if given the choice id take a mr2 any day of the week, much better built, better handling and until the mkIII there where the best looking jap car on the roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

BTW the next 911 will have lower emissions moving it into the 32% VRT band according to todays business post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

JHMEG wrote: »
    Can we ask what your current car is, and what your last one was? Your wife is a tough act to follow!

currently my current "car" is a Peugeot with 2wheels and 18 gears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I am in N.J. in the USA for the week, and drove a 2005 911 this morning. 3.6 litres and 325bhp.

It was awesone. Truly awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

tdc wrote: »
    FFS the Boxter? Are you serious? Why not throw the Cayenne in there for good measure.

What about 997 GT3RS or 993 GT2/997 GT2?

the Boxster is the car that saved Porsche from Financial ruin
    it was a huge gamble and they bet their future on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

S.I.R wrote: »
    also as JEremy clarkson once said and its 100 % true " you only buy the boxster as proof that your life didnt go as planned.... buy a classic 911 instead "

Clarkson also said on the Boxster :

"Porsches do not sound like other cars. And they do not drive like other cars. They drive . . . how can I put this? Better."

As for whoever is comparing the Boxster to a 911 ! are you mad ? They are completely different cars. Its like comparing the Z4 with an M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus i cannot believe all the crap in this thread, the OP obviously being a porsche enthusiast was looking for a decent discussion, and instead the uninformed fill it with comments about how the boxster is a poor mans 911 and not a real porsche etc etc.

The boxster is a perfectly set up sports car, if given the same power as a 911 it would be an interesting battle, of course porsche didnt equip it with the same power, why would they, and have people buy the cheaper car.

its aiming at a different market segment, its a proper open top roadster, the 911 verts look awkward.

of course most people would go for the 911 if they had the extra money but thats true for everything, would a 335i owner buy an m3 if he had the money, of course, doesnt make the 335 a bad car?

any of you slating the boxster, have you driven one, and what do you drive?

id imagine theres a lot of tdi VAG engines in there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

roughan wrote: »
    the Boxster is the car that saved Porsche from Financial ruin
    it was a huge gamble and they bet their future on it
    Have you sold that Boxster yet?

The truley insane Porsche 9ff GT9 anyone?
    Cyrus wrote: »

But its got two red letters which means its putting out 400bhp with a new chip!!11:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

AudiChris wrote: »
    One of the first cars I'd buy after a lotto win would be a concours 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS.

Tasty!

Would you pick a white one with red stripes and wheels or a white one with blue stripes and wheels though?!? :D
    It'd be in my lotto garage too! Along with a 997 GT2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

NiSmO wrote: »

Engineering master piece - maybe. A useful vehicle? No. If I want to travel with my family and luggage very quickly on the road, I'll buy an RS6 Avant. If I want to cover off road ground very quickly I'll buy a bowler wildcat. I do not want a halfway house, and Porsche make sports cars. That's why everyone has it out or in or whatever way you like it for the Pepper.
    For the record, I also see X3's, X5's, X6's, ML's, Q7's, Range Rover's, etc as all pointless devices.
    Also, the boxter is an excellent car, regardless of the attitude of it being too affordable to be a proper Porsche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Biro wrote: »
    Engineering master piece - maybe. A useful vehicle? No. If I want to travel with my family and luggage very quickly on the road, I'll buy an RS6 Avant. If I want to cover off road ground very quickly I'll buy a bowler wildcat. I do not want a halfway house, and Porsche make sports cars. That's why everyone has it out or in or whatever way you like it for the Pepper.
    For the record, I also see X3's, X5's, X6's, ML's, Q7's, Range Rover's, etc as all pointless devices.
    Also, the boxter is an excellent car, regardless of the attitude of it being too affordable to be a proper Porsche!

In any event the OP was asking re the best Porsche ever. Which is not the Cayenne or the Boxster.

Cyrus wrote: »

any of you slating the boxster, have you driven one, and what do you drive?

+1

OTK wrote: »
    Have you sold that Boxster yet?

gone ages
    have a lovely 07 S now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

roughan wrote: »
    gone ages
    have a lovely 07 S now
    Lovely. I've never driven one but I'm told they're fantastic.

btw Carzone seem to be still showing your ad.
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Boxster/NCT-0510/890150/

Advertisement