Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt snapped

Options
  • 14-06-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Setting of the the weekend and when i was 40 miles away from home in the middle of no where the timing belt snapped. Best Friday 13th ever:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ouch, that will be an expensive repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's cost €300 already to just buy the belt and get it home:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

unlucky !

i failed to make a 3000 service deal so meh.... we all where unlucky imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not that it matters much now but was it a premature snap or was the timing belt overdue a change?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not that it matters much now but was it a premature snap or was the timing belt overdue a change?

My own fault, bought the car three weeks ago with 66k on it. There was no record of a timing belt and it was the first thing i was supposed to do. Instead cosmetics got in first, wheels etc. so now i have to take the brunt from a foolish mistake. Lesson learned:o.
    The brother has 90km on his and record of a belt so he's rushing of to get his done haha:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My own fault, bought the car three weeks ago with 66k on it. There was no record of a timing belt and it was the first thing i was supposed to do. Instead cosmetics got in first, wheels etc. so now i have to take the brunt from a foolish mistake. Lesson learned:o.
    The brother has 90km on his and record of a belt so he's rushing of to get his done haha:rolleyes:

Unfortunatley an expensive but valuable lession learnt indeed.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unfortunatley an expensive but valuable lession learnt indeed.

Oh don't i know it haha... Don't i know it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ford CVH engines. Snapped timing belt had no effect on the engine at all. Marvellous bit of engineering:D

ART6 wrote: »
    Ford CVH engines. Snapped timing belt had no effect on the engine at all. Marvellous bit of engineering:D

Ha funnily enough i when i was googling it i found out this bit of info haha... F3cking Vw....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ART6 wrote: »
    Or older Toyota non-interference engines! :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

**** luck man

Timing Chain FTW!!!!

DSC03310.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That's not what you like to see your engine looking like when you open the bonnet is it :P

you're missing a few bits :D
    Is that the pistons I see? they don't look damaged.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How many valves were damaged?

Pistons are perfect thank god. At least 6 valves are damaged. There is perfect compression out of 2 sets... Going off tomorrow to get done professionally. Not bad work for one day:P

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Is that the pistons I see? they don't look damaged.. ?

Yeah pistons look OK so it's not a 'worst case' scenario.

crosstownk wrote: »
    How many valves were damaged?

Lol answered above Got in there before u:p

Could be worse, here's the belt
    DSC03297.jpg

Going off tomorrow to get done professionally. Not bad work for one day:P

Did you remove the head yourself? If you did, then why not refit and lapp the valves yourself (assuming the valves can be lapped manually). The engine didn't overheat (or did it?). If it didn't then the head probably doesn't need to be skimmed, but the purists may say otherwise.

Be sure to replace the water pump too, you don't want it to sh1t itself in a few months and result in the same thing happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Probably explains why your pistons are ok..didn't snap altogether..just lost the timing yeah?

• Advertisement

No it didn't over heat. I'm not getting the head skimmed. I'm sending the valves to be done by a fella because i'll be at work all week and i won't have the time to do it myself.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Probably explains why your pistons are ok..didn't snap altogether..just lost the timing yeah?

Had to re align the timing. Had to make a bloody tool to keep it together. Two screws and a bit of metal did the job:D

This was one of the problems
    DSC03299.jpg

Had to re align the timing. Had to make a bloody tool to keep it together. Two screws and a bit of metal did the job:D

Just be a bit careful here - something in the back of my head tells me that the camshaft pulley is bolted on a conical crankshaft and does not use a woodruff key. This means that the pulley can possibly slip on the camshaft.

EDIT : Pic looks like knackered tensioner. That could well have been the culprit - not an uncommon item to fail in a VW.

I'd say the bit of the belt that was hanging of could of been hitting that and eventually breaking it. It's hard to tell. Got an awful fright when it happen. Was doing 50 on a straight road, (luckily), and when it went i thought it cut out and turned the car off to try start it again. When i did this the steering wheels locked as did the breaks, got such a fright i locked up the handbrake:o

On the road again:D Alls done, only 6 valves were damaged so wasn't as bad as i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'll never understand people's fascination with VW!

IF it was a Mazda or a Toyota, the timing belts are of much better quality and wouldn't have snapped after 70k or whatever.

And if they did, a lot of Mazda petrol engines are non-interference so it wouldn't damage the engine.

I can't fathom how VW stand by that sort of low quality in a part, unless you had 5 or 6 years on the belt? Was that the case? TBs should be done every 4 years or 60k miles I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

good work.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

My wifes old 00 Golf came soooo close to the same, tensioner was crumbling, stopped just in time, and this at 40K, I remember when VW stood for something other than damped grab handles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

possibly worst ive ever seen was actually on ona the lads who worked for us. went 2 do the belt on his wifes scenic (i no i no, whats a mechanic doing with a renault) and NO LESS THAN 6!!!! of the teeth on the belt were missing!! timing was perfect, work that one out. btw, all 6 teeth missing were beside eachother!

Advertisement