Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree, in principle, that the EU needs a reform treaty?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Here's an interesting question: the treaty was rejected for a multitude of reasons, but no-one seems to have asked whether the Irish are actually against the idealistic principles behind a reform treaty. Everyone would have their own interpretation of what such principles would be: mine might be less bureaucracy, a fairer say for each country, a stronger voice for Europe on the world platform.

So the question is: do you agree, in principle, that the EU needs another reform treaty? Its an easy enough question. Everyone will have their own ideas as to what constitutes an ideal reform treaty, so I'll like to hear what those ideas are, whether or not they are aligned with the general spirit of the Lisbon treaty.

I voted Yes to the treaty, so my answer here is obviously Yes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

cornbb wrote: »
    do you agree, in principle, that the EU needs another reform treaty?

I don't think it needs a reform treaty and I think one of the failures of the yes campaign was their inability to show that anything in the Lisbon treaty was necessary to the successful functioning of the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

No. It needs a constitution, one that defines the goals of the EU project, the powers and limits of the EU and the relationship between individual states and the union.

This constitution needs to be voted on by the entire EU population, not merely their elected officials. This was the intention of the original version of the Lisbon treaty. When it failed the popular vote in France and Holland the drafters should have got the message but did not.

They are talking about going back to us Irish to find why we are holding up the treaty when really they should be going back to the French and the Dutch.

Advertisement