Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch gone in recently purchased car

Options
  • 14-06-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a car last Tuesday(Celica) in the test drive and for the first few days it was fine. No sign of the clutch slipping. I did a long journey yesterday and I noticed the car was revving but not pulling. I was a long way from home so had no choice but to drive it for another 50 miles like this. This morning it's totally knackered, can barely get the car moving.
    I don't think it's anything I did wrong. I've been driving it fairly carefully since I'm not used to it yet.

I have a 3 mouth warranty but somehow I don't think it will cover a clutch.
    So not sure where I stand or what to do. :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

A clutch is a wear item so wouldn't be covered under warranty.

I'd say you have a case under SOG act as the car wasn't of "merchantable quality" if the clutch was that bad.

Have you contacted the dealer? What did they have to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It'll cover the clutch. I remember selling a car with such an amount left on the clutch and the service manager said it would be gone before the end of 6 months warranty so they replaced it there and then. I'm guessing that reflects in the fact that urs should be covered. Although it's possible to burn a clutch in a day, i doubt u won't be covered. Let us know how u get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He said bring it in on Monday. Don't know what he's going to say but I have a bad feeling about it as he said the clutch was fine when he sold it. I don't think SOG act covers second hand items.

Although it's possible to burn a clutch in a day,

Yup I realise this, I'm afraid he will accuse me of burning out the clutch through wreckless driving.
    I didn't know a clutch can go from working fine to not so fast. Untill yesterday I didn't notice it slip at all. Although it probably was a little bit with out me noticing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

tuxy wrote: »
    He said bring it in on Monday. Don't know what he's going to say but I have a bad feeling about it as he said the clutch was fine when he sold it. I don't think SOG act covers second hand items.

It obviously wasn't fine if it went that quick.

SOG covers "goods" sold by a business to a consumer - it does not specify the goods have to be new so you're covered.

http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights

Read your rights in the link but don't go in all guns blazing. Only if it turns nasty should you start quoting your rights and insist on a repair or refund.

I'd be amazed if they didn't sort this out - if anything to save their reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is also possible to make a knackered clutch appear ok for the test drive by pouring a bottle of sticky Coke into it.

I'm not saying that this was done ...but it could have.

peasant wrote: »
    It is also possible to make a knackered clutch appear ok for the test drive by pouring a bottle of sticky Coke into it.

Intereasting, I've never heard of this before.
    I drove it for about 220 miles before it went.
    I will see what he says on Monday and get back to let ye know how I got on.

Peasant do you know if there is a way of temporarily fixing a clutch so it would work for about 200 miles?
    Maybe the previous owner did this before trading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Intereasting, I've never heard of this before.
    I drove it for about 220 miles before it went.
    I will see what he says on Monday and get back to let ye know how I got on.

You really need to find out what is covered under the warranty. A clutch is a very grey area when it comes to a used car warranty.

The fact that they didn't tell you outright there and then when you contacted them that it was not covered by warranty is good. Since the car was only bought last week they may cover the whole repair or split the costs with you or only cover the cost of the parts but wait see what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

A worn out clutch can go from appearing to grip OK to slipping beyond any form of drive very quickly (my wife is an expert at that). It may have appeared initially to be gripping, but it would have been slipping all of the time to some extent, which is why failure is rapid. In any case, you'd be hard put to it to wear out a good clutch in 200 miles. The car was clearly not fit for purpose, and I'd say you have a secure claim against the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

peasant wrote: »

I think SIR has hacked peasants login :)

Thanks guys, maybe I was overreacting. The garage has been good to deal with so far so maybe it will be all good on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A mechanic will be able to tell if you knackered the clutch in a couple of days. It doesn't look the same, they usually have big chunks missing and a worn clutch has a fine dust.

Del2005 wrote: »
    A mechanic will be able to tell if you knackered the clutch in a couple of days. It doesn't look the same, they usually have big chunks missing and a worn clutch has a fine dust.

cool, that's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Some places only offer engine-and-gearbox warranties on used cars, but if the guys you purchased the car from have any sense they'll cover it. Much better to have a customer talking about how they did a good job under warranty than to have a customer complaining about how they shafted him :)

Wow things get buried on this forum fast.
    Left the car in this morning and he says the clutch should be fixed by Wednesday. He gave me my old car to use until then. So can't complain. :)

Good result.:)

Was there any argument from the garage?

stevec wrote: »
    Good result.:)

Was there any argument from the garage?

None at all.
    So if it's all sorted on Wednesday I will post to say who it was because I think they deserve a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

He must of known so if he said nothing:rolleyes:

He must of known so if he said nothing:rolleyes:

Maybe but surely he would have known I'd be back fairly fast. Unless he figured it would last 3 months (end of warranty).
    It went in 200 miles I think it would of been hard for him to accuse me of that much damage in that amount of time.
    I know many people who are not careful with their clutch at all and it still lasts for ages.

• Advertisement

Got the car back today. New clutch, the clutch pedal is heavier then when I got it and the clutch is biting sooner.
    He did accuse me of burning out the clutch but he fixed it at no cost so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Got the car back today. New clutch, the clutch pedal is heavier then when I got it and the clutch is biting sooner.

Result! Looks like the dealers treated you well. Why don't you mention them?

O'Brien Motor's Tramore rd Cork :)

Advertisement