Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisknet equipment giving problems

Options
  • 14-06-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

OK, I've only been personally home for the past 2 weeks as I just finished college. So, this story is quite new to me.

Anyway, my brother had set up a wireless router (Belkin 54G) with our new ISP Brisknet. He said it wouldn't stream videos on Youtube and browsing the web through both IE and Firefox was difficult, as websites would only partially load.

He also said our Wii wasn't working correctly online either, and a system update wouldn't complete.

When I came home, tried unhooking the wireless router and re-installing it. It completely lost the connection and had to re-install it a second time.

Problems were still there, so decided to hook my laptop to the ethernet coming from the antenna directly...and it works; SOMETIMES.

When my laptop powers on, it takes about 20-30 mins of Vista diagnosing the connection problems, telling me to let it "Find new IP settings" and "Automatically reset the adapter for "Local Area Connection"". When it's connected, it's fine. Everything downloads/streams ok.

Obviously, there's a prob with the equipment. Is there anyway to resolve this by myself, or is this a case to call out someone from Brisknet. I've tried e-mailing them a few weeks ago, but no reply ever came.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, what could be happening is this:

The Brisknet equipment on your chimney/wall is basically a router which has an ip of 192.168.x.x, you're adding another router to this which may be in the same subnet. Try logging in2 your own router and changing the lan ip address, if its 192.168.0.1 change it to 192.168.10.1. Basically, change the 3rd number in the lan ip address. See how you get on after this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, what could be happening is this:

The Brisknet equipment on your chimney/wall is basically a router which has an ip of 192.168.x.x, you're adding another router to this which may be in the same subnet. Try logging in2 your own router and changing the lan ip address, if its 192.168.0.1 change it to 192.168.10.1. Basically, change the 3rd number in the lan ip address. See how you get on after this

OK, unfortunately I'm not in access of the wireless router at the min, but could you clarify why my laptop seems to think there is no internet connection everytime I power up. This effect lasts about 15 minutes after me diagnosing the problems using Vista's network diagnosis prog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try pinging your router next time it happens. Vista's network diagnosis prog doesn't give any output to help you diagnose the problem, all it does is renew the ip address, ie apply to your router for a lease on a new ip addresss, but if this is conflicting then there will be probs. The unit outside on your roof/wall is also a router, it gives leases on ip addresses also. They cant both operate on the same subnet. Most people blame the isp when it happens to be an ip address conflict on their internal network which is what is sounds like to me. Just try what i've posted above.

BTW, when you change the lan ip on your router your gonna get kicked off the router, open command prompt and use the command ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew or simply reboot

Advertisement