Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broken key in ignition

Options
  • 14-06-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi, I broke my key in the ignition of my Hyundai coupe. I had bent it once b4 and then bend it back so that must have weakened it. The top cm or so broke of inside the ignition barrel, I was able to start it by putting the remainder of the key in and turning.
    Thing is, I brought the car to a Hyundai dealer to get the broken key out and also to get a replacement keys (I never had a spare). The garage said it would be 200 to get the broken key out which I thought was a bit steep but was willing to pay. Upon arriving to pick up the car, they told me I need to get a whole new ignition barrel as I was told I had damaged it when I broke the key inside. Could I have done this? I have my suspicions that maybe they had damaged it or are unable to put it back together after removing the broken key. The reason I am coming to this conclusion is that I don’t think I could have damaged it, and it did start with the broken key inside when I turned with the other half of the key. Could I be wrong here and could I have damaged it?
    Secondly, how much would an ignition barrel cost (aprox), parts were closed Friday evening so I have to wait until Monday to get a quote, what could I be looking at?
    Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OK this has no relation to a car but a similar thing happened to my friend with his motorbike. We got the bit of the key out and went into Ryans Locksmiths in Limerick (after trying ennis), and he held the two bits together and cut the key. Now af far as i can remember he got a quote for the barrel and other bits and it was about 300. Now i could be wrong, but i'd say it's a bit more expensive for a car.
    I'd try an indepent fella first and ask him if it's damaged, they could be tryin to get money out of u, then again i could be wrong.
    Hope this is of some help
    LM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you had damaged the lock barrel you wouldn't have been able to turn the remains of the key in it. The end of the key is not actually in the lock barrel when you turn the key to start the engine -- it presses into contact the electrical end of the lock. Therefore, if the garage had simply taken that end off (not always possible, but I've done it a few times) then they should have been able to recover the broken bit of the key. My best guess would be that they broke the lock getting the electrical contact block off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Cheers for your responses, problem I face now is getting them to admit it if they did break it. Will be asking them for the old ignition barrel back if a new one is put it. This way I can get it checkout by local mechanic.

syl77 wrote: »
    Cheers for your responses, problem I face now is getting them to admit it if they did break it. Will be asking them for the old ignition barrel back if a new one is put it. This way I can get it checkout by local mechanic.

OK, but ignition keylocks are not intended to come off easily. Generally the securing bolts have to be cut or broken out, and that in itself can easily damage the lock. The garage's best excuse would be "we have to break it to get it off, so you can't say we broke it before then.":(

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

ART6 wrote: »
    If you had damaged the lock barrel you wouldn't have been able to turn the remains of the key in it. The end of the key is not actually in the lock barrel when you turn the key to start the engine -- it presses into contact the electrical end of the lock. Therefore, if the garage had simply taken that end off (not always possible, but I've done it a few times) then they should have been able to recover the broken bit of the key. My best guess would be that they broke the lock getting the electrical contact block off it.

ART6 wrote: »
    OK, but ignition keylocks are not intended to come off easily. Generally the securing bolts have to be cut or broken out, and that in itself can easily damage the lock. The garage's best excuse would be "we have to break it to get it off, so you can't say we broke it before then.":(

Sorry ART6, but this is all wrong.

With most ign barrels a long as you can turn them, as is the case here, you can remove the barrel from the main ign housing. A locksmith would then have been able to remove the broken piece. There would have been no need to remove the shear bolts and there is never any need to break them off.

• Advertisement

Sorry ART6, but this is all wrong.

With most ign barrels a long as you can turn them, as is the case here, you can remove the barrel from the main ign housing. A locksmith would then have been able to remove the broken piece. There would have been no need to remove the shear bolts and there is never any need to break them off.

I have been away for a few days so didn't keep up with this thread and may be out of date now. Anyway Mr.Diagnostic, no bother. If you have better advice for the OP, then that's what Boards is all about.:)

Advertisement