Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 14-06-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

What happens if you buy a car that is in one band for emissions and then modify it, slap on a turbo, change the cpu etc.

Say you buy a 520 d and you swap the engine for a 4 lit petrol one
    could they come after you for the VRT owed as well as road tax changes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Nope. VRT payable is calculated at the time of first registration in the state. Anything you do to it after that is none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now I wouldn't be so sure of that.
    If you swap the engine for a bigger one, don't you have to inform the motor tax people about that?
    What is to prevent them from "ratting you out" to the VRT and going after you for a re-registration.

I guess we will find out as soon as the first garage sets up a nice engine swap business :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I wonder have the greens thought of this eventuality?

peasant wrote: »
    I guess we will find out as soon as the first garage sets up a nice engine swap business :D

Let's take that one to the Dragon's Den :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Traumadoc wrote: »
    could they come after you for the VRT owed as well as road tax changes?

VR(registration)T is to do with the vehicle as is when it is registered. So any change after it is registered is irrelevant. But motor tax is based on emissions or engine size. A change there impacts on the tax due...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

So if you change the cpu, or the exhaust will they come after you??

If you pulled out the seats and lightened the car and replaced the engine with a smaller capacity, would they come after you with a big fat refund cheque?

I think Unkel's right, your road tax would be reassessed, but I think the VRT is frozen in time.

Advertisement