Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunreacht na hEireann

Options
  • 14-06-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

With all the posts on the Lisbon Treaty i can't leave the following unsaid...

I think people are forgetting the reason we had the referendum to begin with ... It's all down to Bunreacht na hEireann which has given us the rights we have today in making such a decision by voting; This document which is precise, easily understood to every eligible voter and has certainly protected our democracy.

Thank you Eamon DeValera

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I think people are forgetting the reason we had the referendum to begin with ... It's all down to Bunreacht na hEireann which has given us the rights we have today in making such a decision by voting; This document which is precise, easily understood to every eligible voter and has certainly protected our democracy.

I wouldn't get too attached - this is the document that has literally destroyed the idea of balance of democracy - figurehead president, powerless senate and a situation where the same person controls the legislature and the executuive.

Dev knew what he was doing - sealing power for himself.

Sorry for being off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭ixtlan

It is a simpler document than Lisbon certainly, but one would have to ask how many Irish people have read it, and question them afterwards as to whether they were confident they then understood it.

Even bunreacht is open to interpretation as we well know from the abortion referendums.

A treaty/constitution for 27 countries is always going to be more complex especially when they all want wriggle room to implement their own policies.

ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

thats not entirely true, the reason we have referenda is down to Ray Crotty, a farmer from kilkenny! who took the government to the high court over the Single european act of 1987.
    this is the only decent link i could find if a little biased.
    http://www.notlimitednyc.com/folio/pmckenna/agenda/treaty/democracy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's also ongoing review. http://constitution.ie/
    The most recent report, IIRC was the rights of the child in 2006 and we almost ended up voting on that last week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I wouldnt thank DeV now, the original draft gave the Catholic Church a special position, and said the womens place was in the home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

...and then there's the amendments, and the rather large body of quite complex constitutional law that has cleared up what was actually meant by that original "easy to read" document.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

turgon wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too attached - this is the document that has literally destroyed the idea of balance of democracy - figurehead president, powerless senate and a situation where the same person controls the legislature and the executuive.

Dev knew what he was doing - sealing power for himself.

Sorry for being off topic

its also worth pointing out that he removed popular referendum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

eoin2nc wrote: »
    I wouldnt thank DeV now, the original draft gave the Catholic Church a special position, and said the womens place was in the home
    That was inserted at Archbishop McQuaid's request, if not direct instruction too.

btw, it's quite interesting to compare the places of religion within the 1922 Free State constitution (based upon the US constitution) and Dev's 1938 one (based upon the requirements of the catholic church).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

yes the country took a step backwards with the latter imo.also speaking of referenda,there was a smaller turnout to ratify the constitution
    than there was to vote no to lisbon. (useless fact)Posted via Mobile Device

Advertisement