Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics long questions

Options
  • 14-06-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

My teacher didn't like circular motion or electronics (magnetism and induction in particular) so he kinda left out massive chunks of these sections, as the only higher level student in te class he told me to work away on these chapters...

Now I've got a good enough grip on most of the electronics (except from the experiments, which we didn't do) but, I was wondering if it would be safe to leave magnetism and circular motion at the back of my mind while I concentrate on the other three possible experiments, waves, heat +temp and the modern physics chapters.

I'm actually hoping for a high enough grade in physics, though I have an incapable teacher...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

My teacher didn't like circular motion or electronics (magnetism and induction in particular) so he kinda left out massive chunks of these sections, as the only higher level student in te class he told me to work away on these chapters...

Now I've got a good enough grip on most of the electronics (except from the experiments, which we didn't do) but, I was wondering if it would be safe to leave magnetism and circular motion at the back of my mind while I concentrate on the other three possible experiments, waves, heat +temp and the modern physics chapters.

I'm actually hoping for a high enough grade in physics, though I have an incapable teacher...

Hmm...tough enough. I suppose circular motion is unlikey enough seeing as it came up last year. Don't really remember magnetism as I didn't do that question in the exam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mac-1405

Pity about your teacher... I'd advise you to focus on what your strengths are but it has been said by a few ppl that circular motion is going to make an appearance so even if just learn of the formula you'll get most of the marks remember if you write down a formula and say what all the things mean it is counted as a definition. But I'd expect that you'll do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I "performed" 6 Physics experiments in my two years, and 4 of those were mandatory ones- You don't need to physically do them so long as you have a good imagination.

It's like in maths, we don't count with our fingers anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

If I was taught it I'd be fantastic at it, but I wasn't. I'll probably just learn the definitions and formulae for both, just in case they throw them at the end of an easy linear mechanics question or a short question. As far as I know, magnetism/induction comes up every year, but most students will leave it out anyway because it is hard...

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Ok, first thing, do the experiments that prove the definition of the amp, capacitance and jus the basics... I'm not talking the mandatories, just the stuff that PROVE in the lab some of the defintions, I think they're vital...

Second, complain about your teachers incompetence...Just because you're the only one doing higher doesnt mean you should just be treated like the ordinary students and not even taught some of the course... if anything, he should be helping you more!!! Just do your best for the last few days of study!! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=yerrahyouknow&page=3

Really good place to watch demos/experiments, my class didnt do any of the electric experiments either coz my teacher is a tard:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

i think circular motion has a good chance of comin up.it just has to do with the centripetal force and all.these are the formulas u need to know:
    1. w = 8/t (w=angular velocity, 8= angle in radians, t=time)
    2.v = rw (v=linear velocity, w=angular velocity, r=radius)u need to be able to derive this formula.
    3.f = mv^2/r OR f = mrw^2 (f=centripetal force, v=linear velocity and the rest are above).u need to be able to use both of these formulae.
    4.T=2(pi)/w (T=periodic time, pi=the letter pi(ie 3.14..)).
    5.T^2 = 4(pi)^2r^3/GM (G=Gravitational constant, M=Mass of planet, r=radius of orbit)use this formula when they are talking about satellites and other planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

carlowboy wrote: »
    Hmm...tough enough. I suppose circular motion is unlikey enough seeing as it came up last year. Don't really remember magnetism as I didn't do that question in the exam...

circular motion didnt come up at all last year, so i think you should definitely look over it... especially deriving the T^2 formula (the really long one) because if it comes up its worth a load of marks. if they ask magnetism there will probably be a short q. on lenz's law- hasnt come up in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

derivations in circular motion:

1.v = rw

s = r 8

s/t = r8/t (dividing both sides by "t").

but s/t = v and 8/t = w

:- v = rw (subsituting for V and W ).

2. T^2 = 4(pi)^2r^3/GM

when a satellite is orbiting a planet eg earth, there is a force of attraction between them and since this is the only force on the satellite, therefore this is the resultant force and is the centripetal force.

so F = GMm/R^2 = mRw^2 (R=Radius , M=mass of earth, m-mass of satellite, G=universal gravitation constant, w=angular velocity).

=> w^2 = GM/R^3

The Periodic time is T=2(pi)/w
    => T^2 = 4(pi)^2/w^2.

=> T^2 = 4(pi)^2/GM/R^3 (subsituting for w^2).

=> T^2 = 4(pi)^2r^3/GM.

Advertisement