Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to replace my Golf?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

im thinking of getting a new car but i dont know what i want. im driving a mk4 golf at the moment and after i sell that i will have around 12K to spend on a new car. not really sure what i want though there are a few guidelines i will have to follow.
    • has to be in or around 12000 euro
    • max 1.6 litre
    • must be reliable, not too expensive to run
    • mileage must be reasonable, nothing over 40,000 miles

think thats it. the reason it cant be bigger than a 1.6 is because im only 19 and i simply will not pay anymore for insurance.

my car has nearly 80,000 miles on it and thats the main reason i am getting a new one. i want a car that has reasonable mileage (say 40,000 but depending on the car i wont mind if its a bit over;) )

i was half thinking of getting another golf as i really like them and i have never had any real problems with mine in the last year or so that ive owned it, but wheres the fun in that?

any suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd go for a Mk5. Have a Mk4 and two MK5's in the family. Although the comfortline seats in mine aren't as comfortable and the MK5's, they are a smashing car. The extra 5bhp in the 1.4 is enough lol. Make sure u get a nice spec as there are plenty out there. U might just scrape a 04 Mk5.
    Here's an example
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-new/1072521/
    I don't think it's a comfort though...Bad thing lol, go for comfortline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

tdc wrote: »
    my car has nearly 80,000 miles on it and thats the main reason i am getting a new one.
    80,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained car. VW's own guidelines are that their engines must be able to hit 300k km before they can enter production, which is roughly 186,000 miles I think. So by VW's own admission, your car has another 106k left in it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

tdc wrote: »
    the reason it cant be bigger than a 1.6 is because im only 19 and i simply will not pay anymore for insurance.

Did you look for quotes on larger engines? Up to 1.9L say? You might be surprised that they aren't that expensive (assuming you have a full licence).

It may be a good idea to check out some options before you rule them out.

I'd probably look at something like this if I were you: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/318/Nicest-on/1080499/

Agreed on the 80K miles, its nothing, although it might make it attractive to a buyer as its still a bit from that 100k mark which people seem to freak at.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

A nice sportline mk5 would be the machine to go for. However the mk5 golfs do seem to give endless trouble with the electronics and immobilizer system. Ahhh well, they will never be as good as a Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Flyer1 wrote: »
    they will never be as good as a Nissan.

Ah now, less of it:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Thanks for all the help lads. I'm leaning towards a Mk5 Golf, 1.4 or 1.6. What would the main differences be between the base model and the comfortline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 footbag_man

you'll get a nice passat 2002 for 8k... ok it will have a few extra miles on the clock but they are a v. classy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

There are big differences between base and comfortlines. Trip computer, trim level, aircon I think, and a few other differences between them

My gf drives a comfortline 07 Jetta, it's well kitted out, a big step up from the base jetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

you'll get a nice passat 2002 for 8k... ok it will have a few extra miles on the clock but they are a v. classy car.

+1
    Bigger car for less money!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

E92 wrote: »
    80,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained car. VW's own guidelines are that their engines must be able to hit 300k km before they can enter production, which is roughly 186,000 miles I think. So by VW's own admission, your car has another 106k left in it at least.
    my father has exactly 186000 and she's still going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement