Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Polo died :(

Options
  • 14-06-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

My '96 Polo stopped working Thursday. I was driving along and next thing I lost all power and it stalled.

Tried turning the key. The starter motor is turning the engine fine but it doesn't start. Had a look and the fuel is getting to the engine so not a problem with fuel supply. None of the spark plugs are producing any spark so it looks like an electrical problem. But since none are firing it doesn't look like only one plug is gone. What's my next course of action?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bring it to a garage? It's very difficult to diagnose a problem without having the car infront of us. Although some of the regulars around these parts might have some idea of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

No spark would indicate a problem with the coil or distributor. Coils do not fail all that often on 96 Polo's but the hall sender on the side of the distributor is a known issue. Not an expensive fix. But as stated you'd be better off having a comprehensive diagnosis carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Probably got a hole in it :D

Get it checked. It'll be something minor, those cars go for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sounds the exact same as my golf. Timing belt snapped. I'd check that firstly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

whats the mileage like on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Sounds the exact same as my golf. Timing belt snapped. I'd check that firstly.
    Take the oil cap off and look in while someone is turning the engine over. You'll be able to see movement. If so you're ok.
    crosstownk wrote:
    No spark would indicate a problem with the coil or distributor.
    +1

These are easily swapped and cheaply with ones from a scrap yard.

Advertisement