Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live Music Sunday night?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I've a list here of live music on different nights of the week, however something's telling me it's out of date (the fact that it lists An Poitin Still for Sunday is a clue...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Xiney wrote: »
    I've a list here of live music on different nights of the week, however something's telling me it's out of date (the fact that it lists An Poitin Still for Sunday is a clue...)

Now , That was a proper music Pub in its day--when it was called TD'S Lounge in about 1989.
    Music guaranteed 7 nights a week and sunday morning would be packed
    as well. They had all the top trad and folk bands and I have never seen a pub in Sligo do anything like it since.

Met my missus there as well LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wonder what happened to it. My Dad met his pals from The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones and The Dublin City Ramblers there years ago not long after we moved here. Knew them in their hay day and it must have been great to see them play here. Why did the bands stop coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

DenMan wrote: »
    Wonder what happened to it. My Dad met his pals from The Dubliners, The Wolfe Tones and The Dublin City Ramblers there years ago not long after we moved here. Knew them in their hay day and it must have been great to see them play here. Why did the bands stop coming?

What happened was this. The owner at the time was a well known musician called Kevin Conlon who was a Sligo man himself and had come back from England and bought the old pub. He renovated it and ran it like clockwork with music 7 nights a week. Himself and his wife were lovely people and were very well liked ,and cared about their customers-something thats hard to find these days!! I think he still plays in bands around the country. His wife Annette had cancer and they sold the pub and it was never the same after they left it because the new owners never had the contacts in the music business that they had. It changed to Poitin Still after that but went downhill I think

Advertisement