Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a Sterling Bank draft made?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to pay someone in the UK with a bank draft - But their bank account is Sterling. I have a Bank of Ireland, standard Euro account... I presume it's not a problem to get a bank draft made out in Sterling?*

* No worries of fraud, I know the person and will be physicially handing it to him... He's the king of Nigeria :D (JOKE!!)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

No problem at all, just go into your bank and they'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Good stuff, thought that alright. I'll try and get it done on Monday. Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If its for a large amount you can book the rate and get better value.

If its for a large amount you can book the rate and get better value.

Thank's for that, i'm going to ring them tomorrow (Monday) and ask if they can make it over the phone, and i'll collect it on Friday

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thank's for that, i'm going to ring them tomorrow (Monday) and ask if they can make it over the phone, and i'll collect it on Friday

Chances are they'll not do anything till your in front of them.

• Advertisement

Chances are they'll not do anything till your in front of them.

Thought that alright. I was just goign to try and ring ahead because the money is in a savings account, but is one of those 'Withdraw at any time, no penalty" accounts

What i'm confused about is that the letter I got from the bank (I'm with BOI) was from another savings society... They obviously have access to those accounts straight away in BOI I presume?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thought that alright. I was just goign to try and ring ahead because the money is in a savings account, but is one of those 'Withdraw at any time, no penalty" accounts

What i'm confused about is that the letter I got from the bank (I'm with BOI) was from another savings society... They obviously have access to those accounts straight away in BOI I presume?

Nooooooo,

I don't work for BOI, but there are people here that do. That does not sound correct. Banks to do share your info with 3rd partys unless you've given consent. Why would BOI give your details to another bank, they then stand to loose you money. I'd look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

if the sum is a few thousand try out xe or currency.ie. they offer better rates than the bank generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Nooooooo,

I don't work for BOI, but there are people here that do. That does not sound correct. Banks to do share your info with 3rd partys unless you've given consent. Why would BOI give your details to another bank, they then stand to loose you money. I'd look into that.

Your savings are prob with ICS Building Society (part of BOI Group).

stepbar wrote: »

There he is!

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »

That's it! I thought it was ICS but I was afraid that I was getting ICS mixed up with Irish Computer Society :o

So could I just go up to a cashier with my statment from ICS (and photo ID) and ask for a Sterling bank draft to be made out. Take into consideration that my savings account states that I can withdraw an unlimited amount at any time with no penalties.

Thanks for the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you have your ID. Bring your ATM card as your accounts should be linked together. Go to a Foreign Exchange cashier, however you may have to get the transaction cleared with a customer service offical first (well that how it goes in my branch anyhow).

Excellent, thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

Just remember that a sterling draft in the bank has poor rates. it depends on how much it is for. If its a small amount then i may be just as handy

cooper38 wrote: »
    Just remember that a sterling draft in the bank has poor rates. it depends on how much it is for. If its a small amount then i may be just as handy

It's a large amount :( I know it's going to cost me - i'll do my homework better next time

Advertisement