Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes Benz new price list

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

philtaylor wrote: »
    Whats the story with cash discounts come July. Was thinking because demand will be so high on some models it could be hard to get even a couple of percentage of. I wonder how tight margins are now on some of those entry level cdi's?

Margins are probably still pretty similar at dealer level, reducing them would necessitate a renegotiation of sales pay structures across the entire dealer network.

The current state of the market (slow) and Merc's overtly agressive pricing policy would say that dealers will do what needs to be done to get order forms signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

copacetic wrote: »
    How you can dissasociate BMW from their dealers I don't know?

I'm only defending BMW Ireland. I know from threads that some BMW salesmen were saying that they would up the spec and leave prices unchanged and were lying with the people when they knew on the 19th of December that this would not be happening. To defend that is defending the indefensible, and I'm not going to try and justify something that I can't justify.

On the other hand other BMW dealers did tell people what was happening. It was reported here several times that dealers were quoting reductions that were very close to what the real thing turned out to be. They deserve to be commended, as does any dealer that was honest with the people.

What I am saying is that BMW Ireland made much more of an effort than anyone else to inform people what was happening, no they didn't put full page advertisements out there, but they certainly didn't leave people in the dark until the very last moment, they had their July prices on their website on the 9th of April, meanwhile Merc have 2 sets of prices up on their website, Toyota are still trying to fool you into buying a 1.6 Avensis and Ford have told us some of the VRT savings, but not all of them on their website, so I hope you can see where I am coming from in my defence of BMW;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

just had a look at the Germany Prices there.

E220 cdi Germany 41 k Ireland Post July 45 k. Difference 4k.

520d Germany 37k Ireland Post July 47k. Difference 10k

Are the specs the same post july. there not going to do a poverty spec edition!!!

I am going to enjoy shopping for two new cars now post July. Actually can't wait. There really is a shake up. In fairness to Mercedes I was odds on to be buying two BMW's and now I am definitly reconsidering at least one model now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

E92 wrote: »
    I'm only defending BMW Ireland. I know from threads that some BMW salesmen were saying that they would up the spec and leave prices unchanged and were lying with the people when they knew on the 19th of December that this would not be happening. To defend that is defending the indefensible, and I'm not going to try and justify something that I can't justify.

On the other hand other BMW dealers did tell people what was happening. It was reported here several times that dealers were quoting reductions that were very close to what the real thing turned out to be. They deserve to be commended, as does any dealer that was honest with the people.

What I am saying is that BMW Ireland made much more of an effort than anyone else to inform people what was happening, no they didn't put full page advertisements out there, but they certainly didn't leave people in the dark until the very last moment, they had their July prices on their website on the 9th of April, meanwhile Merc have 2 sets of prices up on their website, Toyota are still trying to fool you into buying a 1.6 Avensis and Ford have told us some of the VRT savings, but not all of them on their website, so I hope you can see where I am coming from in my defence of BMW;)!

well would agree with most of that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

The E320CDI is now cheaper than the E200Kompressor!!!:eek:

• Advertisement

There is a mistake in the figures too, they have given the C220CDI the same power figures as the C200CDI. It should be 170 not 136. At only €1300 more than the C200cdi it seems likely to be the seller..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's quite incredible really. You'd want to be completely mad to go for the E200K over the E320 CDI that being the case from July(well personally Executive cars should not have anything less than 6 cylinders, but that's another discussion...)

The 5 series is clearly the only way to go for anyone who wants a petrol executive saloon.

Back on topic, the E280 CDI A/T is another bad buy. The E320 CDI is not even €2k dearer and has 224 rather than 190 bhp.

Another interesting development is the selling of diesels at a loss. I seriously doubt this can continue for too long, unless Merc have some big BMW ED style revolution coming very quickly, diesels are very expensive to make compared to petrol, and with the tightening of emissions laws around the world, they certainly aren't going to get cheaper, so how long we can have cars like the E220 CDI selling at €45k is questionable.

But for Christs' sake anyone who wants an E-class take it, and take it fast, cause this really is a bargain of the century!

This is fun:
    C220CDI auto avantguarde, 2008 with only 5k kms. Just been price aligned for June
    to 59,950 by Park motors.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/C-220/CDi-AVANTGARDE/1015215/

CB4_1015215_1_234804.jpg

Might need another alignment boys since it will be 10k cheaper brand new in July at ~50k including options.

This car is now worth 45k max imo. Ouch!

(Don't get too carried away E, there is a 08 320i msport coupe for 60k on carzone too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,431 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some reductions from MB!
    AudiChris wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Merc needed to do something this drastic to maintain/increase market share...

I'm wondering the same. But that said, competition is good. The end result is a win for the consumer
    BMW and Audi are direct competitors, they have similar brand ambitions and aim for the same market demographic. For a lot of the people I meet they never mention Merc, only BMW and maybe Lexus or Volvo/Saab.
    Merc stands on it's own as a brand - it might seem a little fuddy-duddy, but it stands alone as the only proper mass market luxury brand.

Not sure I agree. For a lot of people, traditionally the only "proper" luxury mass market brands are MB and BMW. In their perception other makes are getting close(r), like (in chronological order of who got close first) Audi, Lexus, Volvo and even Honda or Saab

unkel wrote: »

Not sure I agree. For a lot of people, traditionally the only "proper" luxury mass market brands are MB and BMW. In their perception other makes are getting close(r), like (in chronological order of who got close first) Audi, Lexus, Volvo and even Honda or Saab

Not in my experience imo in Ireland, BMW and Audi compete directly for customers against each other especially in the compact and hatchback end of the market. Mercedes are generally considered a step above both (if a boring step)

I know this isn't the received wisdom on the BMW forum, I mean Motors forum:D, but i is certainly my experience and from speaking to both audi and bmw dealers they have a lot of experience of people going for either an audi or a bmw with lexus and merc less direct competition. Lexus imo because they are still getting their name out there, Merc because in general they have always been more exspensive for the same category car. Not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Holy Funk is all I can say:eek:!

holy funk is right.. another reason why the Irish motorist will shun automatic cars!:D:D

what ya think

im even now considering buying my first ever second hand car!
    some bargains to be had... carzone is crap at the moment prices all over the shop, pisses me off.

the sooner dealers correct their prices on carzone, the better

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Christ on a bike!! the E500 is only going up a grand. I'd like to see if BMW, Audi and Lexus readjust their prices for January.

Edit after reading page 2:

Margins are net of VRT so will remain unchanged for the majority of manufacturers. I imagine it's the importer that's taking a hit on profits in the MB case.

People are not going to LOSE money.
    January 08 price = €65k
    January 09 trade in on that basis €55k
    January 09 new price = €66k

Cost to change = €11k

January 08 price = €65k
    July 08 adjustment = -€15k (now €50k new)
    January 09 trade in on July 08 basis = €40k
    January 09 new price = €51k

cost to change =€11k

How is someone losing money there??

ninty9er wrote: »
    Christ on a bike!! the E500 is only going up a grand. I'd like to see if BMW, Audi and Lexus readjust their prices for January.

Edit after reading page 2:

Margins are net of VRT so will remain unchanged for the majority of manufacturers. I imagine it's the importer that's taking a hit on profits in the MB case.

People are not going to LOSE money.
    January 08 price = €65k
    January 09 trade in on that basis €55k
    January 09 new price = €66k

Cost to change = €11k

January 08 price = €65k
    July 08 adjustment = -€15k (now €50k new)
    January 09 trade in on July 08 basis = €40k
    January 09 new price = €51k

cost to change =€11k

How is someone losing money there??

There cost to change isn't the issue. It is the money they thought they had in the car. Say for instance you buy in Jan 08 as in your example 65k. You want to sell now due to change in circumstance. You have lost at least 10k more of your money than you thought possible.

Similar with dealers, had a look on carzone and would say that every single Merc is at least 10k overpriced. You would think that with 80 or 90 cars on the lot they are losing a fair bit of their assets value. The accountants and banks won't be happy. Nearly feel sorry for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Does anyone have the ability to do a before and after price list from this info, even for the major models?

Your wish is my command sir.

Red are going down, Green are going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In Germany the E220 CDI Classic is presently €41,055. That is with a lower VAT rate as well(19 rather than 21%), and no VRT that I know of. Yet here the same car is €45,480, and we have 21 rather than 19% VAT, and 24% VRT thrown on top of that as well.

Merc are actually selling the E220 CDI for a pre VRT price of approximately €35,500. There were selling it for a pre VRT price of approximately €44,300. If they sell 1000 E220 CDIs next year, and now that the E-class is nearly as cheap as it is in its native Germany, that would be an easily attainable figure, that would mean that this move will have cost them no less than €8.8 million per annum and possibly more as the more affordable something becomes, the more people will buy it:eek:.

What it might mean is that Germans will be flooding over here to order LHD models of the E-Class and bringing them back with them to avoid the VRT, and make a significant saving! People in the UK would do that too!
    E92 - business proposition for ya!! Me, You, bank loan, Merc's, transporters... UK sales! :D

unkel wrote: »
    Some reductions from MB!

I'm wondering the same. But that said, competition is good. The end result is a win for the consumer

Funny, I always thought that Saab used be somewhere in your order there, but now I feel they've slackened off and dropped away. Volvo's new S80 is a nice bus, a different option to the 5-series and E-Class.

Mercedes Benz Irish website doesn't have those prices yet.

Advertisement