Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofrack- Temporary-Permanent?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Just bout a canoe, about 38pounds/kgs (cant rem)
    Just wondering what would your advice be

Temporary/Permanent?

Also with regard to ropes do you have any lash roofs in mind?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Have a look at this:

http://www.micksgarage.ie/proddetails.aspx?Prodid=105094&ProdKey=E22B60D7-D90A-4EB8-87B4-FDD249712515

I have a similar situation with a dingy/tender to get out to my boat. I had roof bars on my previous car (removable) but have not bought a set for the latest car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IMHO those racks are maybeok for a surfboard that is only going a short distance but putting a Kayak/canoe on one is asking for trouble.
    You really need a rigid rack for carrying one securely as otherwise you will pull the canoe into the car roof and dent it.
    Thule are the best and most versatile but you can get acceptable racks from Halfords or Paddy Hopkirk.
    I saw a guy put a kayak onto his roof with one of those softracks and it made an awful mess of his roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Halfords do the rigid roof racks to fit most cars. Ratchet straps can be purchases in most garages and are the best for a secure hold. canoes/kayaks are too heavy for the soft racks and youll only end up wrecking your roof (plus they loop through the car which can be annoying).

Advertisement