Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3, broadband??? any reviews?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, my friend has ben with 3 broadband for 2months now, 3-4weeks ago it stopped working, she rang numerous times, and tried all the advice they gsve her, but still no connection. 3 suggested it was the modumn so she sent it back, she recieved a new one, but still not working, 3 have now said its her computer and not there problem anymore. So she tried it on several other laptops still not working. Has anyone else had problem with 3 broadband or phone? I know they arent great in the u.k. but wonder what they were like here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

its needs a pc with winxp ,and service pack 2 installed.click on the external drive d,or g,h. modem shows up as an external drive.click drive it,ll launch install software.it .s supposed to do this automatically.i always get at least 250k per second on speedtest.net.TOOK me 5mins to work out it shows as external drive,in my computer.takes 6mins to run install,reboot pc then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

17blaze17 wrote: »
    3 suggested it was the modumn so she sent it back, she recieved a new one, but still not working, 3 have now said its her computer and not there problem anymore.

Avert your eyes upwards towards one of the largest threads on the board, and you'll soon realise that your friend has she's been lied to misinformed. There's a high degree of probability that 3 "broadband" simply doesn't work, and never will. Replacing the modem, or her computer, will do nothing.

There are many comments, buried in that thread, where people have had their 12 month contract nullified and money refunded, due to the lack of performance from 3. It's not as simple as just sending it back, but if she can document the problems, keep contacting 3, keep a record of all calls and responses from 3, then it is possible to show that it doesn't work, and hence get out of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Be aware that 3's tech support staff are little more than Indians reading from scripts. They'll do everything under the sun to avoid admitting the problems are on the 3 side. Blaming your computer/software/modem/cables/SIM Card are standard tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Look at the sticky

THREE MOBILE BROADBAND THE PROBLEMS M-M-MEGATHREAD:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

Firetrap wrote: »
    Be aware that 3's tech support staff are little more than Indians reading from scripts.

And what's wrong with them being Indians? a Irish person reading a script is any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    And what's wrong with them being Indians? a Irish person reading a script is any better?
    stop being so pc
    he didn't mean it in any racist way. god.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

aliqueenb wrote: »
    stop being so pc
    he didn't mean it in any racist way. god.

Didn't he?

And I suppose when he calls this same Indians the "script monkeys" in the thread below, he is not being racist either.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56077850&highlight=monkeys#post56077850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Script Monkey is a common term used to describe people who work telephone help lines or tele-sales. It's nothing to do with race, creed, religion or social background. And the problem I've always found with Indian tele-support is that they can be very difficult to understand. It makes a problem worse when your support person can't understand what you're saying, and when you can't understand their suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

if he wants to call them script monkeys thats his opinion and hes entitled to it,nodoby wants to pay to listen to stuttering idiots trying to learn english when they have a problem with their broadband,its about time companies realised this,its a major reason why il be cancelling my 3 contract when the time comes around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Didn't he?

And I suppose when he calls this same Indians the "script monkeys" in the thread below, he is not being racist either.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56077850&highlight=monkeys#post56077850

When I was with 3 I would have preferred to speak to an actual monkey rather than their customer services people. Think of it, a chimp wearing clothes on the phone saying 'your query will be escalated' - cute.
    I always felt sorry for the people in Mumbai working in the call centre. They take abuse all day long (probably working for a pittance) fronting for 'suits' based in Ireland, UK and other Western countries. But then life is never fair and if you choose to make a living reading out prescripted horseshyte all day long you can be prepared to be called all sorts of names.

OP read the sticky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

IF you get no signal or very bad signal ,bring modem,box and cdrom back to shop and you,ll get a full refund.depends where you live ,i get at least 200k wherever i go in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

17blaze17 wrote: »
    Hey, my friend has ben with 3 broadband for 2months now, 3-4weeks ago it stopped working, she rang numerous times, and tried all the advice they gsve her, but still no connection. 3 suggested it was the modumn so she sent it back, she recieved a new one, but still not working, 3 have now said its her computer and not there problem anymore. So she tried it on several other laptops still not working. Has anyone else had problem with 3 broadband or phone? I know they arent great in the u.k. but wonder what they were like here?

I've had 3 BB for a year & a half - no other options. For a while last year it was terrible, but apart from evening peak, I get average speeds of 1mb - 1.5mb. At evening peak it can drop to 200kbs.

My guess is the software has a problem. Simply unintall the 3 software and re-install and see if this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Didn't he?

A couple of points if I may.

1. I'm not the only person on the Megathread who's used the term "Script Monkey". Fact.

2. I'm not using it in a racist term. I am sick to the back teeth of dealing with tech support staff who don't know what the hell they're on about and are clearly reading from a set list of instructions i.e. a script. A script monkey is a script monkey, regardless of race or creed. I have no doubt there are Irish script monkeys out there.

I don't deny either that having to deal with Indian support staff has its difficulties. I have great difficulty understanding them and it's not easy for them either. I don't blame the staff but the company which employs them. They're clearly taking short-cuts by taking on staff who speak poor English and are badly trained in dealing with technical issues related to their p!ss poor mobile internet.

Advertisement