Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell with XP

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

It looks like dell have got rid of all XP options on both pcs/ laptops

Is there any way to get a dell Pc with XP now days

Vista still sucks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bite the bullet fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

I had it and it sucks,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

tech wrote: »
    Is there any way to get a dell Pc with XP now days
    Buy a (retail) copy of XP and install it.
    Otherwise, choose from their Small & Medium Business options and customize for XP?
    Vista still sucks
    Why?

well if you want to explain your reasoning thats fine, but that kind of mindless sputtering isnt allowed in here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget it's Microsoft who decide when they stop shipping XP to the channels.

if you want XP
    then buy vista business and downgrade to XP pro.

buy a retail copy

don't buy OEM as it's not licensed for any PC other than the one it was supplied with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Buy from the Small Business section of the website. The Vostros and Precisions have XP as an option. Anyone can buy from the Small Business shop - you don't have to actually be a business.

Another option is to get one of the Business or higher edition of Vista and downgrade it - that's allowed under the license for all versions except Home. You will need a retail version of XP to do this tho.

Or a final option is to get an OEM copy of XP from Komplett (buy a mouse or something to make it legal) and then claim a refund for Vista from Dell after you receive the PC. Might work out cheaper than option 2.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Macros42 wrote: »
    Or a final option is to get an OEM copy of XP from Komplett (buy a mouse or something to make it legal) and then claim a refund for Vista from Dell after you receive the PC. Might work out cheaper than option 2.
    Buying a mouse don't make it legal , it's motherboard or nothing

Microsoft seem to have shifted the onus on the consumer rather than the retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Actually you can just buy it. But you're restricted by the terms of the license - one installation only (as in on one machine only) and no support. The onus wasn't changed so much as the rules were relaxed.

http://windows.about.com/od/buyupgrade/f/vista_oem.htm

It's aimed at system builders and OEMs but not restricted to them.

well all things considered id reccomend getting a full vista pro license that will let you install XP pro as well. that will be useful to have for the forseeable future as you change machines and upgrade.

as for 32/64, id lean toward 64 at this stage. better performance and the compatible software is coming around at a reasonable pace from what i know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Vista 64bit is brilliant and I would reccomend it, it doesn't suck once the machine has a decent cpu/ram capacity. Afaik microsoft will stop shipping any copies of XP next month sometime, so prob better off getting vista,

Nick

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    Actually you can just buy it. But you're restricted by the terms of the license - one installation only (as in on one machine only) and no support. The onus wasn't changed so much as the rules were relaxed.

http://windows.about.com/od/buyupgrade/f/vista_oem.htm

It's aimed at system builders and OEMs but not restricted to them.
    about.com :rolleyes:

this is what microsofts site says today
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/morethan250/faq.mspx
    Q:
    Can I buy OEM Windows Vista software with a mouse?
    A:

No, OEM desktop software must be pre-installed on a fully assembled PC.
    they are the license owners and unlike SCO actually do have rights to sue you since they do own the software
    the only loophole is that if you are the person assembling the PC, it does not apply to PC's you buy elsewhere or especially if they already have a license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Dell haven't removed XP, completely. But on most business machines online they provide the option

English - (Downgrade)Genuine Windows Vista® Business to XP Pro add € 0.00

Which means that your recovery CD is Vista, but the installed OS is XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Hi someone here might set me on the right track.
    Bought a dimension 5100 a few years back and it arrived with per installed software so from what I can remember this meant that it came with no disks just a cardboard circular disk telling me that I can download software direct from Dell.
    The other night PC ran into problems and won't start
    Now I get a black screen with
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing
    Or corrupt
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of above file.

Did a bit of searching and most solutions require a windows xp startup disk and copying the file out of this.

Went to dell put in service tag and can only find xp updates(. From what I can make out no xp startup disk specifically for my computer )

I have a vostro laptop and it has disks I am assuming that this running vista that these disks are of no use.

Thanks

Regards

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Hugh 2 wrote: »
    Hi someone here might set me on the right track.
    Bought a dimension 5100 a few years back and it arrived with per installed software so from what I can remember this meant that it came with no disks just a cardboard circular disk telling me that I can download software direct from Dell.
    The other night PC ran into problems and won't start
    Now I get a black screen with
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing
    Or corrupt
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of above file.

Did a bit of searching and most solutions require a windows xp startup disk and copying the file out of this.

Went to dell put in service tag and can only find xp updates(. From what I can make out no xp startup disk specifically for my computer )

I have a vostro laptop and it has disks I am assuming that this running vista that these disks are of no use.

Thanks

Regards

Hugh

Never-mind
    I just had it fixed by professional.
    Might have just as well as apparently there were a queue of problems after that one..............

bite the bullet fanboy.
    Hey don't be such a dick.

Advertisement