Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google To Develop ISP Throttling Detector

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Google has been known for its positive stance for net neutrality. Now, Richard Whitt--Senior Policy Director for Google--announces that Google will take an even more active role in the debate by arming consumers with the tools to determine first-hand if their broadband connections are being monkeyed with by their ISPs...

Link Here:

http://www.hothardware.com/News/Google_To_Develop_ISP_Throttling_Detector/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't need a google app to tell if my isp is throttling me.

even if you are being throttled and this program tells ya so, what can ya do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

absolutly fukin nothing thats what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Cremo wrote: »

even if you are being throttled and this program tells ya so, what can ya do about it?

It would make people more informed before getting it in the first place I would think. There is a stickied thread in this section about UPC throttling torrents but generally most people who get cable off them wouldn't know that they sometimes throttle them. If everyone had access to a reliable throttle detector consumers would generally know who throttles and who doesn't through word of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What isp you on , Cremo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

also if you are on a service for a few months without issue or throttling and they suddenly start to throttle it could be seen as a reduction in service and would be grounds for getting out of contract and the stats from the google detector would back your case

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well when I first had a problem with throttling, I hadn't a clue what was going on. A tool like that would have helped. The publicity this generates also brings the issue to the attention of a lot of people who wouldn't know the first thing about it. Its a good thing.

Maybe one person can't do anything about it but a lot of people all complaining can.

Advertisement