Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROGRASS - Synthetic grass

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of this fake grass? My son and I suffer badly from hay fever so I'm looking at this as an alternative to laying a new lawn.

http://www.prograss.com

There are no prices on the website, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any info? What's involved in laying this grass?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

So I spoke to this company today and here are the steps involved in laying the grass, cost, etc.

1. They take 100ml of top soil away and replace it with 100ml of a special base which allows for drainage.
    2. They then lay the grass on top of this base.
    3. The cost if €65 per square meter. I estimate that our garden is 7m to the back wall, and 12 m across so that’s 84m squared. Total cost would be €5,460.
    4. The website says the lifespan of the grass is 7 years, so an approximate cost of €780 per annum.
    5. Obviously, need to factor in the costs & effort removed (lawnmower, petrol, waste disposal, cost of doing up the garden again if we were not to go with PRO Grass, etc.)

Just need to run this by the boss at home now and see what she thinks. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 afarrell1

did you go ahead with this... if so what you do think now? Are you happy with it? Am thinking of getting a small area of this in my garden. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would advise anyone considering installing synthetic lawns to do plenty of homework as grades/qualities and installation can vary enormously in terms of price, suitability/durability and finish.

A synthetis lawn is laid on a prepared base (usually hardcore and compacted sand blinding). Again securing joints and perimeter must also be considered. I heard of one horror story where the lawn rumples like a bedsheet and coming apart along joint.

Good quality synthetic grass will cost between € 30.00 - € 40.00/sq m (Tough grade for family garden) and almost as much again for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

It would be a bit pointless too putting in artificial grass for the sole reason of avoiding grass pollen, the pollen would be in the air anyway from the local area, not just your garden (unless you live in the middle of a 20 acre plot!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 afarrell1

Have decided against it, altho my reason was not for the pollen (purely being a lazy alternative) We are going to stick with granite paving... feck the grass idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

We have this layed at home. Really Really happy with it. www.idealgrassireland.com is the company we used.

Advertisement