Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein inatake as a Vegetarian ?

Options
  • 14-06-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, i have only been vegetarian around 4 months, and seem to get by with no problems right now. But soon enough i'm gonna be getting back into training and working out and i'm not sure if my current eating lifestyle is gonna cut it for protein intake.

How can i increase my protein intake using more than just nuts/peanut butter and milk?? any help or ideas appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Vegetarian cheese, Eggs, Oat bran, Chick peas, Kidney beans, Lentils all have a decent amount of protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i've also seen vegan protein powder available too, to sprinkle over foods if any vegans are finding it difficult to fill their quota. I find my food intake has enough. Plenty of foods contain some protein; not forgetting good old baked beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Cheers for the ideas people, will see what i can use soon :)

P.S. sweet-rasmus i actually LOVE baked beans yay !!

Most people take whey supplements, when they are training anyway.

I get roughly 65g of protien everyday without really trying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fake meat. Mine goes up to 27.7g/100g.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Don't get it all from the same source though, have like a grain, a beany/lentilly thing, some nuts every day...different amino acids or something....science of some sort...anyone know more about this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You just need the eight essential amino acids. Ie ones we can not produce ourselves. Beans on toast would have all eight but beans alone may not and so on. The only non meat source to have them all is soy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

whey shakes are an excellent source of protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

You just need the eight essential amino acids. Ie ones we can not produce ourselves. Beans on toast would have all eight but beans alone may not and so on. The only non meat source to have them all is soy.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/nutrition/protein.php

There are also plenty of veggie bodybuilder/fitness sites you can join to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement