Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Super Unleaded 99 Octane v Unleaded 95 Octane

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whats the difftence between Super Unleaded 99 Octane v Unleaded 95 Octane one is more expensive than the normal unleaded. Someone at work told me that the super unleaded uses less fuel is this ture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

99 provides more power so in theory you will use less as you dont need to accelerate for as long etc..... but 95 will work out cheaper in long run.

BTW in the wiki "Priemum" in the USA is still only 91 which is less than our regular :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

99 RON is currently available from Maxol = E5 unleaded.
    The rest here is 95 RON.

Unless you have a JDM car or a turbo, there's no difference to performance or economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

BTW in the wiki "Priemum" in the USA is still only 91 which is less than our regular :)
    You failed to read - they use different measurements in the US, so their "regular" 87 is equivalent to 91 RON and their 91 is equivalent to about 95 RON so it's roughly the same as our usual stuff (not like we get a choice here). I think 91 RON is more common further east in Europe.

I know it's only 95 RON over here, but it seems they've stopped supplying Shell V Power around here. I guess it's due to the imminent Topaz rebranding?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm sure Dunboyne still has V Power, but thats the only place I knew that had it any time recently!

91 PON still isn't exactly 95RON, think its a wee bit lower, but most people I know in the states use 87 PON as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

You failed to read - they use different measurements in the US, so their "regular" 87 is equivalent to 91 RON and their 91 is equivalent to about 95 RON so it's roughly the same as our usual stuff (not like we get a choice here). I think 91 RON is more common further east in Europe.

I know it's only 95 RON over here, but it seems they've stopped supplying Shell V Power around here. I guess it's due to the imminent Topaz rebranding?

sorryyyy <= our regular then ;) I use 87 when in states and its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

my local shell has v power and i put it in my car last wedneday i norally have to fill up on a wednesday and a sunday so far so good but if i go out now my light might come on lets see ehat happens it the stuff does save money im all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

V-Power here is only 95 octane.

"In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON, while in the Republic of Ireland, it is rated at 95 RON."

Main benefit of vpower is the stuff in to clean the engine more. Not power.

So only higher octane fuel is E5 99 octane from Maxol and is the same price as 95 octane from other places.

I only get the Maxol stuff and find it makes a big difference in my 1.8T.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thenobody wrote: »
    V-Power here is only 95 octane.

"In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON, while in the Republic of Ireland, it is rated at 95 RON."

Main benefit of vpower is the stuff in to clean the engine more. Not power.

So only higher octane fuel is E5 99 octane from Maxol and is the same price as 95 octane from other places.

I only get the Maxol stuff and find it makes a big difference in my 1.8T.

+1

every garage in the country now only sell 95 ron fuel except maxol with there E5 stuff which is 99 ron as stated above.

read the manual of the car and it will tell you wether the car was designed to run on 95 or higher.

E5 will suit all jap imports as their petrol is 100 ron over there as standard, and M3's are designed to run on 97 ron so it will suit them too.

And also all turbo VW,Seat,Skoda,Audi engines need 98 octane for normal performance.
    Also i think all FSI engines should have 98+ octane for best performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thenobody wrote: »
    And also all turbo VW,Seat,Skoda,Audi engines need 98 octane for normal performance.
    Also i think all FSI engines should have 98+ octane for best performance.

if thats what they have stated on the manual then you should get better performance from E5 and also better MPG.

• Advertisement

Yep. Manual states recommended 98 RON and also says 95 RON can be used but there will be some performance decreases etc. Along those lines, cant remember exact words

jjbrien wrote: »
    my local shell has v power and i put it in my car last wedneday i norally have to fill up on a wednesday and a sunday so far so good but if i go out now my light might come on lets see ehat happens it the stuff does save money im all for it

I tried it once last month - the engine ran noticeably smoother but fuel economy didn't seem to be any better, in fact it may have been worse. There's low compression in one of the cylinders though so things may be different in a non-knackered engine.

Will take a few tank fulls for the ecu to re-adapt to the new fuel for fuel economy if there is to be a difference. Shouldnt make much of a difference anyway.
    Does in power though.

I was talking about V Power. My car won't benefit from anything higher than 95 RON anyway so won't gain any more power than (what's left of) 60bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

I used to work in a petrol station years ago
    and it was common practise to get the fuel delivey truck driver to half fill the garages super unleaded tanks with unleaded and then fill up the rest of the way with super unleaded
    so if you bought the super unleaded all you got was 1/2 unleaded and 1/2 super unleaded

they all did it

Oh well, i guess another plus for going to Maxol then.

it wasnt a maxol!

I know that. Just saying that all unleaded fuel in Maxol is the E5 stuff so no two kinds of fuel and no mixing.

are u sure they cant mix ??
    i think they might have to
    sure what happened if you topped your car up with e5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I was talking about V Power. My car won't benefit from anything higher than 95 RON anyway so won't gain any more power than (what's left of) 60bhp.

V Power is only 95 anyway so it would make no difference what your running it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

roughan wrote: »

They don't mix because it's already mixed, E5 is 95% standard petrol mixed with 5% bioethanol

roughan wrote: »

They only have E5. It has fully replaced the Unleaded fuel.

colly10 wrote: »
    V Power is only 95 anyway so it would make no difference what your running it in

Yes I know it's only 95 RON - I was the first in this thread to say so! It definately made a difference, but probably wasn't worth the extra cost. None of the Shell stations around here seem to sell it any more so I guess it's on the way out regardless.

Advertisement