Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Forgot all about this and now stuck in work. Looking forward to giving this a listen tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Youd think that after 20 odd years of recording, they'd have figured out how to produce drums properly. Jesus christ, EVERY ****ING ALBUM, they mess it up. This time they sound like a really bad 8 track recording turned up to 11 & layered over a proper album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

0ubliette wrote: »
    Youd think that after 20 odd years of recording, they'd have figured out how to produce drums properly. Jesus christ, EVERY ****ING ALBUM, they mess it up. This time they sound like a really bad 8 track recording turned up to 11 & layered over a proper album.

LOL - you've never obviously heard organic drums from a studio floor & are too used to polished drums on albums, cos that's what you're getting there, as Lars wants a garage-feel to his drums now, claiming 'organic'.

Not to mention Lars is pro-tooling (I HATE HATE HATE HATE Pro-Tools), meaning he's correcting things even more anally than Mutt Lange (who was a knob-tweaking wizard extraordinaire for the Leppard).

Really wish they would quit using Pro-Tools. It's either you're going for organic or you're not. You can't claim you want things to sound 'organic' & then use Pro-Tools.

Pro-Tools is an evil evil evil thing .........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ven0m wrote: »
    jesus Kirk, I'm getting old & my hands don't play like I've eleventeen squillion fingers anymore ...... ffs take it easy on us dude LOL!!!!!!! :D

....and HE has arthritis!! :pac:

....and HE has arthritis!! :pac:

My hands were messed up from a motorcycle accident :D

Haven't been able to play anywhere as fast or as flexibly as I used to since ..... which does in fact suck :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

ven0m wrote: »
    LOL - you've never obviously heard organic drums from a studio floor & are too used to polished drums on albums, cos that's what you're getting there, as Lars wants a garage-feel to his drums now, claiming 'organic'.

Yep, the 10 odd years i spent in a band i never once heard a live drumkit OR recorded a demo, OR attended a sound engineering course
    If thats a live sound hes going for then hes missed the mark quite spectacularly and dived head first into 'sounds like ass' territory.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Yep, the 10 odd years i spent in a band i never once heard a live drumkit OR recorded a demo, OR attended a sound engineering course
    If thats a live sound hes going for then hes missed the mark quite spectacularly and dived head first into 'sounds like ass' territory.

I'd agree .... there's the mark, & the next galaxy over is where Lars landed :D

Even his live drum sounds seriously mess with the guitars on stage. The totally drown out any low end guitar riffer madness like the heavy section of 'one'. I remember Wembley last year, & it wasn't the sound system, as machine head came though clear as day. Lars's drum sound like his ego is now fully out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

Great song imo, defintely getting the album after hearing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It's grown on me after a few listens. The slower bits at the start reminded me of 'Something for nothing' by Rush and 'Echo Beach' by Martha & The Muffins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just proves how bad ulrichs drumming skills are to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Thanks.:D
    Edit: I can't copy n paste em onto my desktop!? Dammit.

also its

I'll splatter colour on this grave

I like it, want rest of the album now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anyone else think the chorus sounds like To Live is To Die?? Dunno why just strikes me everytime i hear it.

Also the word is that there WAS a problem on uploading or something hence some clipping found in the song

http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?showtopic=78819&pid=1621744&st=0&#entry1621744

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

They played this at the Leeds Festival there tonight, it'll be interestin to hear how it sounds live.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I gotta say, i don't like it.

The song itself isn't bad, very fade to black. It most certainly sounds like something pre black album which can never be a bad thing.

What surprisingly lets this song down is the awful production. It's just plain bad, sounds like it was recorded in fibbers ffs, couple that with some sloppy playing and it's just not a good finished article imo.

They've written a song that's pre black album but almost tried to record it like it to, and i think that's where they went wrong.

HOWEVER, this song will sound great live.

Now, i did listen to it on youtube so maybe it was the quality of the stream (although it said it was high quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Live vid from leeds, pretty good quality too:D.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

A Metallica rep has come out and apologised for the sound quality of the song

article: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103363

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

its such a brilliant song.i really missed this side to Metallica after St.Anger.

glad to see them get back closer to their roots.and even better to hear real solos again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Stev_o wrote: »
    Anyone else think the chorus sounds like To Live is To Die?? Dunno why just strikes me everytime i hear it.

Also the word is that there WAS a problem on uploading or something hence some clipping found in the song

http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?showtopic=78819&pid=1621744&st=0&#entry1621744

Yep, first thing I thought of was To Live is to Die as well. Vast improvement on St. Anger thank god. I hope the rest of the album is as good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Id say the likely scenario is tht they put up a clipped version of the song online to stop ppl recording it and to make them WANT to buy the cd version but then the idea went tits up when the online version was played on the radio. Although it might not be the case it seems like sumtin lars would push :) ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Saw them play cyanide live there, thaught it was a pretty decent song, couldnt really make out the lyrics but what I heard was awesome, sounded like classic metallica, really looking forward to this album now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

robby^5 wrote: »
    Saw them play cyanide live there, thaught it was a pretty decent song, couldnt really make out the lyrics but what I heard was awesome, sounded like classic metallica, really looking forward to this album now!
    Yeah its actually a really good song live! although im not a big fan of the breakdown in the middle of it! It doesnt really go with the song imo! The videos on youtube of it dnt do it justice at all (excuse the pun) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

The first time i heard it i wasn't sure but the more i listen to it the more i like it. I'm still not convinced on how it finishes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Guys

There's an argument going on over on the Metallica.com bulletin board about this song.

Someone says that they can hear "clipping" on this song??? Can any of you guys hear it???

I haven't got a clue what they're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Guys

There's an argument going on over on the Metallica.com bulletin board about this song.

Someone says that they can hear "clipping" on this song??? Can any of you guys hear it???

I haven't got a clue what they're talking about?

I can hear huge amounts of clipping, esp from 5:25 onwards where I find it almost un-listenable. Thought my speakers were f*cked at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    I can hear huge amounts of clipping, esp from 5:25 onwards where I find it almost un-listenable. Thought my speakers were f*cked at first.

I can't hear it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Just heard this song now.

Weak. Just weak.

It sounds like they've forgotten how to put pieces of music together to form a cohesive song. The singing in the verses is just horrible. There's a mess of riffs at the end... but it just doesn't sit together as a song. It's not awful, but it's not good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Doctor J wrote: »
    It's not awful, but it's not good either.

I think this sums up my opinion too. While it's a million times better than tick tock tick tock bullsh*t, it just seems very disjointed and doesn't flow very well like past songs. Is it just me or does the solo seem a lot like the one from Am I Evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yeah, the song just seems like a mish-mashed patchwork of riffs that sound somewhat similar to work done on previous albums.

If this wasn't Metallica, just some random band, people wouldn't take notice and would probably more honestly admit their opinion of it. But it's Metallica not playing St. Anger and playing something vaguely similar to other things they've done, so let's lavish them with praise for sounding like a band comprised of 14 year olds who learned to play a few Metallica songs and decided to write a song for the first time... /sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah to echo what a few have said, it is neither bad nor good, just something in the middle. Has a strong feel of something from the load era.

There is a real early Maiden feel to some of the guitar work, really reminds me of some of Dave Murrey's early live solo work with Maiden circa the Killers tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

I love it.

Advertisement