Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I love it.

+1.

It takes a few listens but the sections and riffs flow very easily together. Oh jeez, Im getting too technical. Its not a science degree, its a band. I like the song,its catchy, Im outta here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Stay tuned to Pure Morning on Phantom 105.2, Dublin with Richie McCormack (7-10am) from Monday 25 - Friday 29 for your chance to win a trip to see Metallica play the O2 World Arena in Berlin on September 12! This is an exclusive fans only show where all tracks on the brand new Metallica album, Death Magnetic will be played - live!

Plus on Monday night, Ray McGowan on Metal Notes (8-10PM) will have an interview with Robert Trujillo of Metallica recorded while they were in Dublin plus he'll be playing their brand new single, 'the day that never comes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

First 4 minutes are grand but then it all falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Intro was not worth a minute and a half without any lyrics at all. Lars seems to have borrowed some of his old drum riffs for this one too.

It's a lot better then anything St.Anger spat out, but it's still not actually good. If it wasn't metallica you wouldn't give a damn about this song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would listen to a few tracks on st anger over this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's a lot better then anything St.Anger spat out, but it's still not actually good. If it wasn't metallica you wouldn't give a damn about this song.
    That sums it up nicely.

For all the accuastions of Metallica-hating, there are just as many people determined to like that song because it's Metallica.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

And the live version

Gotta admit, the heavy bit towards the end (for 2 seconds) really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Only proves, you can't please everyone; some like it, some don't - c'est la vie.

I'm sure Metallica are sleeping soundly in either case. They look happy on stage performing it,so there will always be those that dig it & those that don't, as well as new fans who like it & get into the band, or older ones who pack up & leave.

Either ways - there is new Metallica music. The band are still going strong, people still want to see them, talk about them & criticize them for good or for bad.

Over all, I'd say Metallica, Mission accomplished in staying relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I really like this song!

Its not amazing but its pretty good and im happy with that, i really enjoyed the first half of the song but the second half is just gets a bit messy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ven0m wrote: »

Over all, I'd say Metallica, Mission accomplished in staying relevant.

sorry, i take exception to this statement. they've not been relevant in over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BrianD wrote: »
    Stay tuned to Pure Morning on Phantom 105.2, Dublin with Richie McCormack (7-10am) from Monday 25 - Friday 29 for your chance to win a trip to see Metallica play the O2 World Arena in Berlin on September 12! This is an exclusive fans only show where all tracks on the brand new Metallica album, Death Magnetic will be played - live!

Plus on Monday night, Ray McGowan on Metal Notes (8-10PM) will have an interview with Robert Trujillo of Metallica recorded while they were in Dublin plus he'll be playing their brand new single, 'the day that never comes'[/QUOTE]

Is there any chance of this interview being repeated? I missed it!!!:(

sorry, i take exception to this statement. they've not been relevant in over 10 years.

Relevant is people talking about them, giving them front covers & them being given media attention, which they've received alot of. That is the definition of relevancy to any record label or PR person. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

New song available for stream/download,

My Apocalypse

Mission Metallica platinum can download when they log in.
    Seems like every monday were gona get a song!!

Its pretty cool, haven't heard something this trashy from them in a long time!
    Interesting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's also a new version of The Day That Never Comes up without the clipping.

slayerking wrote: »

My Apocalypse

Interesting.

Jesus this is really aggressive!!! :eek:

I quite like this track, has a very Kill Em All feel to it!! Who know Papa Hetfield & Co actually had this in them!!!!!

I think this is Metallica serving 'fanoboi critics' humble pie .... how do you take yours? ;-)

slayerking wrote: »

My Apocalypse

Interesting.

now that actually is more like it. why isnt this this the single? why wasnt this the first thing we heard? not some poxy plodding ****e. this isnt bad at all...again its just let down by lars simply not being able to keep up with james anymore. pity, its good apart from that.

now that actually is more like it. why isnt this this the single? why wasnt this the first thing we heard? not some poxy plodding ****e. this isnt bad at all...again its just let down by lars simply not being able to keep up with james anymore. pity, its good apart from that.

it's not the single as it'll never get airplay or rotation on MTV etc. Didn't you know that balls-out rock music will rarely if ever see regular rotation in the mainstream?

Same with movies - it's rare an R rated (18) movie will pull the same kinda money as a 12's movie, & it's harder to market an R (18) movie.

JI think this is Metallica serving 'fanoboi critics' humble pie .... how do you take yours? ;-)
    Are you suggesting that simply because it's heavy that people will welcome it with open arms?

Doctor J wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that simply because it's heavy that people will welcome it with open arms?

People were complaining that Metallica are 'past it' & can't do the same stuff they were doing years ago in another thread on this board that spanned a good deal many pages.

St Anger had people doubting whether Metallica could in fact ever deliver material that would appease them.

'My Apocalypse' reminds me personally very much of Battery in it's feel, the spasmatic solo, & the general vibe of the track.

Although, it does have alot of hallmarks of the material on Kill Em All more than MoP.

Metallica fans are amongst the most notoriously difficult to please from what I've seen over the years as a person who has grown up with them & seen so many people whining. I remember people whinging about AJFA when it was released that it wasn't the same as MoP or RTL or KEA. I remember people saying how 'Metallica' was better than AFJA & so on & so forth.

Metallica fans are ultra obsessive, almost like they have a 'right' of some sorts to how the band should sound, their material be released etc, & it's plain retarded.

Again, I need to point out - how many other bands from around the time of Metallica are still around, still selling out 65,000+ venues, shifting albums in the same volumes, or having as many front page covers on a regular basis as them?

The bottom line is - Metallica are more influential in the current realm of rock music than Black Sabbath, Ozzy or Zep. That's a fact. They've inspired more rock bands than anyone else, rightly or wrongly.

25 years of a career & still going strong - there are few bands now who could ever hope to achieve that, & their achievements are right up there with music greats. Take a look around at any Metallica concert & you see people from under 12 years old right the way up to aged grey-haired 'old' people. That tells you their appeal, their marketability & how they cross generations.

I've seen no-one suggest they should've remade Master Of Puppets every four years since 86. I think you've missed the point of what quite a lot of people have said on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Much better affair from this track. It's still not mind-blowing but it's a step in the right direction.

Doctor J wrote: »
    I've seen no-one suggest they should've remade Master Of Puppets every four years since 86. I think you've missed the point of what quite a lot of people have said on this thread.

This thread started because the previous thread got locked cos of people discussing something they shouldn't have :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Something to look forward to after work. Woot!

How many tracks are there actually on the album?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Something to look forward to after work. Woot!

How many tracks are there actually on the album?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica%27s_ninth_studio_album#Track_listing

The albums looking good so far after listening to the 2 released songs.

Bongomc wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallica%27s_ninth_studio_album#Track_listing

The albums looking good so far after listening to the 2 released songs.

you're gonna wet yourself so when you hear this one, if you thought the others were good.

you're gonna wet yourself so when you hear this one, if you thought the others were good.

Cool. I'll give it a blast later.

EDIT: Is there any "clipping" on this one, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Man i really really really want this album right now. My Apocalypse is brilliant just a shame the drums sound off =/ other then that its perfect Metallica

Stev_o wrote: »
    Man i really really really want this album right now. My Apocalypse is brilliant just a shame the drums sound off =/ other then that its perfect Metallica

Oh........crap. Not more dodgy drumming/production??:rolleyes:

Stev_o wrote: »
    just a shame the drums sound off

How do you know this, were you there when they recorded it? was it a mixing problem? How do they sound 'off'??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

How do you know this, were you there when they recorded it? was it a mixing problem? How do they sound 'off'??? :rolleyes:

Down fanboy, down! :p

Just kidding..

Advertisement