Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Down fanboy, down! :p

Just kidding..

was just making a point though when people make such ridiculous statements like 'the drumming is off' without quantifying it or how they know this ...... the real fanbois are the ones who make such ridiculous statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ven0m wrote: »
    How do you know this, were you there when they recorded it? was it a mixing problem? How do they sound 'off'??? :rolleyes:

Cool the jets, man. If it sounds off to him he'll hear it by listening, he doesn't need to be in the studio to hear the drums being off any more than he does to hear the guitar being loud :P

Doctor J wrote: »
    Cool the jets, man. If it sounds off to him he'll hear it by listening, he doesn't need to be in the studio to hear the drums being off any more than he does to hear the guitar being loud :P

define: drums sounding 'off', I mean I'd understand if the mix was arseways & they were out of sync, or they had that dustinbin lid sound like St Ballsacks, but c'mon ....... "the drums sound off" pMFSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=103518

New song streamed. Now I haven't heard 'the day' as yet. But this impresses me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Reopened.

• Advertisement

The guy is entitled to his opinion without being called retarded. Bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

How do you know this, were you there when they recorded it? was it a mixing problem? How do they sound 'off'??? :rolleyes:

Hold up here im a very big Metallica fan and the song is near perfection but there is something about those drums that dont seem right its a very very raw kind of sound.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Hold up here im a very big Metallica fan and the song is near perfection but there is something about those drums that dont seem right its a very very raw kind of sound.

Now you see, I can take that back & take back the comment (un-needed & will be edited)

See, now I get that ...... & yes, you're very very VERY right..

Lar like his Garage sounding drums ...... & everyone can roll their eyes at that, cos you're right ..... it's horrid!

There was an interview with him last year (will dig up link), where he said he was feeling the vibe of organic sounding drums & loved the drum sounds they achieved on Garage Days, as it was 'raw'.

THEN the pillock goes & becomes a Pro-Tools junkie .... so much for 'organic'.

Now you see, I can take that back & take back the comment (un-needed & will be edited)

See, now I get that ...... & yes, you're very very VERY right..

Lar like his Garage sounding drums ...... & everyone can roll their eyes at that, cos you're right ..... it's horrid!

Well i dunno i say the problem lies is that Lars is trying to get a sound that was popular back in 1980. Listen to most metal bands today and ull hear a very crisp drumming sound to them and then listen to this track and your music brain will go hang on hear this isnt right!

Now i dont know if its to do with the quality i hope it is but whatever happened to the crisp sound he got on the black album thats the sound im looking for as thats the sound we hear day in day out by metal bands.

• Advertisement

Death Magnetic to be > all ..... discuss .....

Can the mods merge this thread with the other thread we;v been using for the sake of not getting confused who we were arguing with :P

Any objections if I merge this thread with the Death Magnetic thread, and have all the new Metallica album related discussion in the one thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Doctor J wrote: »

My bad.

Any objections if I merge this thread with the Death Magnetic thread, and have all the new Metallica album related discussion in the one thread?

break out the merge Karl ..... show us the might of your 'metal' .....

P.s. I heard a rumour Karl Hungus IS 'The Metal' - can you confirm pls?

EDIT: oh he did ....... Karl IS in fact 'The Metal' .... OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! :-o

All merged.
    P.s. I heard a rumour Karl Hungus IS 'The Metal' - can you confirm pls?

Lies. Karl Hungus is the Jazz. Now, back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dammit. I wanna hear this noooooooooooooooooowwww!?? I gotta wait til later though......!:rolleyes:

Stev_o wrote: »
    Well i dunno i say the problem lies is that Lars is trying to get a sound that was popular back in 1980. Listen to most metal bands today and ull hear a very crisp drumming sound to them and then listen to this track and your music brain will go hang on hear this isnt right!

Now i dont know if its to do with the quality i hope it is but whatever happened to the crisp sound he got on the black album thats the sound im looking for as thats the sound we hear day in day out by metal bands.

Spot on about how drum sounds now are very VERY crisp. And you're right about the 'sound he wants to achieve' ........ I just accept his 'drum sounds' cos Lars is a pretentious git.

The drums sound better on the high qual version they made available to mission metallica platinum users.

but - I do TOTALLY get what you're saying about his drum sounds ..... for that sir, I will +1 you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm not going to comment on the sound of the drums, as i was listening to a ****ty stream, and it wouldnt be fair. I will say however that lars simply cannot keep up with james when he plays this fast. thats how the drums sound "off" to me. it'd be a savage song with a better drummer.

I'm not going to comment on the sound of the drums, as i was listening to a ****ty stream, and it wouldnt be fair. I will say however that lars simply cannot keep up with james when he plays this fast. thats how the drums sound "off" to me. it'd be a savage song with a better drummer.

Lars is no Paul Bostoph, however - one thing people probably are not aware of is the speed with which James plays downstrokes, which add a whole other level of rhythm to a track, and the 'speed' differences have always been there - listen to 'Blackened'. Anyone who plays guitar, try playing MoP in downstrokes & see how much your hand hurts after ;-)

I can barely make it through MoP without my hand hurting & I love me some downstrokes.

P.S. the live version of TDTNC is horrendous ........ bad Hetfield, BAAAADDD Hetfield!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭munkydanny

We've seen Metallica go thorough so many changes in the last few years, albeit some good some bad but you gotta ask yourself who are they making records for? I think the answer is mainly themselves. It's like I remember Dave Grohl saying once in an interview, "Of course I'll still be making music in 50 years, whether or not people wanna hear it is up to them".

I think the same can be said for Metallica, we can't expect them to stay the same forever, if they did they'd be ****e! It's important for musicians to evolve.

The other thing is that they have had a few key creative influences in the last decade what with Cliff and Mustaine having done some work on the early albums, to James and Lars, to letting Kirk write on TBA, to havin Bob Rock do bass on St. Anger and letting Rob write on the new one!

What do you expect only for the sound to evolve?

I say let the bashers bash and bring on Death Magnetic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The jury is out so far for me on the new song. Need a few more listens. I cant find the songs chi, the bit that grabs me and has me humming it in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rockee wrote: »
    Some of those are pretty bad...

It's weird listening to them one after the other, they all pretty much sound like the same song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Some of those are pretty bad...

It's weird listening to them one after the other, they all pretty much sound like the same song.

Id have to agree with you there but on the other hand lets see what the album brings. Apparentely there's acoustic interludes and whatnot going to surface on the album so perhaps theyll provide some more depth and dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

HOLY CRAP!!!??

Where did Hetfield pull that vocal performance from?? That's awesome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

For some reason, they've recorded the album in E but they're playing it live in Eb. Hetfield only able to hit the key in the studio?

feylya wrote: »
    For some reason, they've recorded the album in E but they're playing it live in Eb. Hetfield only able to hit the key in the studio?

AntaresAutoTune.gif;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I had a feeling someone would post that

• Advertisement

In fairness, man, you set it up beautifully :p

Advertisement