Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

"Rob has contributed more on this album than Jason did in 14 years" - James Hetfield

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

feylya wrote: »
    "Rob has contributed more on this album than Jason did in 14 years" - James Hetfield

Interesting.

Yeah i quoted that before but he does say that was majorly down to them not letting Jason contribute to the albums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Out of curiosity, now that there is actually some creative input from a bass player, do people think that Rob is the right man for the job? Or would fans prefer if Jason were given an opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

Out of curiosity, now that there is actually some creative input from a bass player, do people think that Rob is the right man for the job? Or would fans prefer if Jason were given an opportunity?

I think Rob is the right man for the job at the moment. He's a great bassist and has more in common as a player with Cliff than Jason for me. Which is always a good thing! You could argue that when James said that Rob has given more creative input on this album than Jason in 14 years, he didn't mention the stranglehold him and Lars had over the music in that time. If Jason had such creative freedom during that period, maybe he would have contributed to more than two songs.

Given the bass playing on this album, he fooking rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

slayerking wrote: »
    Supposedly the album is after leakin in france!!!:eek:
    Anyone else hear this?...

There's a few photos floatin around of people holdin the album.
    We might see the release sooner than the 12th?!:confused:

it's all over the net for the last 4 hours. listening to it right now,it feckin' rocks:p:p:p:p

He's right ya know... Currently *ahem*, acquiring myself a copy, heh, yoink;)

That's some funny **** i must say, the first tallica album in what, 5 years, and it gets leaked.

Lars must be waking up in cold sweats.

*edit* 1st song feckin rocks!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That's some funny **** i must say, the first tallica album in what, 5 years, and it gets leaked.

BOOOOO TO THE "DOWNLOADERS", or, ahem......FREELOADERS. I'm gonna wait until I get my copy on the 12th from M:M!

Heard a few of the tunes last night before they were taken down and ****, I do like this album. Can't wait for the Launch Party in London :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

Yeah, it's out there if you want it. I'm finding it hard to resist but I think i'll wait for the 12th 'til I get my copy from M:M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Listening now and it is bloody excellent stuff. I'll still buy a legit copy come the 12th, have done in the past for other albums too, and this deserves it more than any. I hope it gets the praise it's due...

Oh, Unforgiven III. Hells yes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

BOOOOO TO THE "DOWNLOADERS", or, ahem......FREELOADERS. I'm gonna wait until I get my copy on the 12th from M:M!

I finally have a reason to like the French ;)
    Listening to it now, at a secure location, hoping that James and Lars dont kick down the door and haul me off. In any case, I have to say, that I have mixed feelings.

The singles I've already heard aside (that is, the 3 everyone had already heard up until yesterday)
    its a very fast paced Trashy type album. Lots of great riffs, lots of ...And Justice for All in here, it just feels like I'm listening to that album when I listen to this one. But sadly, Lars has learnt very little, and there is still a St Anger type drumbeat present in a few songs.
    Sorry, but this album doesnt sound particularly special to me, with a few exceptions being the songs we have already heard, and the one below.

The Unforgiven 3 - WOW! This track is amazing. Starts off like nothing else on the album, with a piano intro, which turns into a guitar intro and its not like the Unforgiven riff we've come to expect. This song only really relates to the Unforgiven in the title and vocals, as the riff is nothing like you'd expect

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Wow wasn't expecting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Oscholar wrote: »
    I think Rob is the right man for the job at the moment. He's a great bassist and has more in common as a player with Cliff than Jason for me. Which is always a good thing! You could argue that when James said that Rob has given more creative input on this album than Jason in 14 years, he didn't mention the stranglehold him and Lars had over the music in that time. If Jason had such creative freedom during that period, maybe he would have contributed to more than two songs.

Sorry, but a 5 string using slap n pop style bassist know mainly for being in funk/metal band suicidal tendencies is about as far as you can get from cliff Burton who exclusively used 4 stringers and palyed them like a lead guitar. Their styles couldnt be further apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Listening to it now, & so far I'm more than slightly impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Praetorian wrote: »
    Listening to it now, & so far I'm more than slightly impressed :)
    same, still really loving the main riff in Broken Beat & Scarred that was in that 30 second clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Very good, very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

0ubliette wrote: »
    Sorry, but a 5 string using slap n pop style bassist know mainly for being in funk/metal band suicidal tendencies is about as far as you can get from cliff Burton who exclusively used 4 stringers and palyed them like a lead guitar. Their styles couldnt be further apart.
    Agreed, the only thing that really puts them close together is they both use fingerstyle. No doubt about it that rob is a great bassist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

lars is laughing about it and shall we say not discouraging anyone from downloading it. all the leek has done is crank up the anticipation and from what i can gather a lot of people that have heard it (me included) have already pre-ordered and paid for it so it's not going to blow a hole in their sales. i'm still looking forward to hearing this in proper quality on the 12th(or earlier if they decide to go early with it.).

here's the link to what lars had to say about the leak:http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/09/metallica_album_leak.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

feylya wrote: »
    Heard a few of the tunes last night before they were taken down and ****, I do like this album. Can't wait for the Launch Party in London :D

i hate you......i hate you so much!

(sorry-again green aint a good colour on me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Woa, 2 tracks in and so far im rightly impressed. It aint 80ies metallica and it CERTAINLY isnt st anger metallica but it is actually good!!!

I think it's their best stuff in almost 20 years... I'm a fan of their later stuff like load etc, and i think this is a combination of that and their earlier thrash stuff...

It's been a long time since i sat down and listening to a new album from start to finish. I'm very very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm listening to it myself as I type this and I have to say it knocks the socks off St. Anger and Load/Reload for me so far. I had fully expected to hate it so it has been a pleasant surprise!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

am gonna preorder this now,heard 3 songs on youtuber and they kick ass :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Just got it listening to it now. wipes the floor wiht what they've done since the black album. That Was Just Your Life is damn good. I'm impressed. Didnt like The Day That Never Comes at all.

Shame on you all :P Im i the only who's bowed to not download it and buy it legally (my first cd buy in 2 years imo =P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

*Rockee puts his fingers in his ears* :D Roll on the 12th.

Rockee wrote: »
    *Rockee puts his fingers in his ears* :D Roll on the 12th.

Exactly what im doing :D Does this mean there will be 5 people at Virgin come 13th? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Stev_o wrote: »
    Shame on you all :P Im i the only who's bowed to not download it and buy it legally (my first cd buy in 2 years imo =P)

I'll still buy it too I'm just making sure I'll be getting value for my money not like St. Anger. Looks like I will too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

It can't be any worse than St Anger

Advertisement