Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ven0m wrote: »
    Hours later, still have it on play here ........... what kind of a world do we live in where we FINALLY get a kick ass Metallica album after nearly 20 years .... that's still too bloody mental for me (although I like Load/ReLoad/S&M) ..... :eek: :eek:

Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Some of us(ie ME)haven't heard it yet, and are trying to show restraint by not downloading it. I for one want to wait until the 12th to hear it for myself!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Some of us(ie ME)haven't heard it yet, and are trying to show restraint by not downloading it. I for one want to wait until the 12th to hear it for myself!??

doesn't mean I'm not giving the boys cash on Sept 12th, cos that's a hell yes - most def need a copy for the collection, & so the car can feel the awesome power of DM muhahahahahahahahahahaa :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'll be driving to Donegal tomorrow with this on repeat \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Old Metallica fan here, only one album I previously disliked was obviously St.Anger!

I'm glad to see generally positive posts here because I think this album rocks =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

Finally metallica release the type of album that I've been waiting for since 1995. better late that never :)

After a day and a half of listening I can say that it's a great album in my opinion, the only let downs are the day that never comes - wasn't particularily impressed by this when it first came out, and compared to the rest of the album it seems weak. Also I maintain that cyanide could have been a little more up tempo like the live version, but it's still good.

couple of instant classics on here which can stand up to pretty much anything they've done before, which is really suprising in the best way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

slayerking wrote: »
    Dang...

Funny thing is I emailed the crowd handling the Irish missionmetallica orders (MetallicaIRE metallicaire@trinitystreetdirect.com) asking them about the t-shirt size and when we'll get the coffin and got this reply...

It'd be nice to get it for release date so hopefully we will, I'm hopin that metclub email only applies to the US.
    Fingers crossed....:pac:

the metclub email only applies to metclub pre-orders as far as i'm aware. it's supposed to be shipping 2 days before so it'll arrive on release day from the other online retailers that M:M used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was up in Zavvi in Liffey Valley last night to check when they are due to get the album in stock - I thought it wouldn't be out until the Monday - and I had a quick look at the computer screen while I was there!!

You should see the amount of special editions that are available for this album!!:eek:

I think the coffin box costs in the region of €170!!!!!!!!?????

The cd will do me fine, thank you very much.

the coffin box cost me €121 inc. P & P,wouldn't have thought it would be any more expensive in a bricks and mortar joint.

they've a load of variations,the most expensive is the 5 disc vinyl edition with lithographs. thats aimed at the serious collecters of which there are many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lord lucan wrote: »
    the coffin box cost me €121 inc. P & P,wouldn't have thought it would be any more expensive in a bricks and mortar joint.

they've a load of variations,the most expensive is the 5 disc vinyl edition with lithographs. thats aimed at the serious collecters of which there are many.

I dont mid what I pay. I want the Coffin Box and the 5 Disc Vinyl. I have managed to accumulate over 150 records/cds/videos/vynals/tapes/dvds and I want more !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Red5

The album is mega.

Shame on you all who havent heard it. why wait ???

Unforgiven 3 is unreal pure class.
    the 2nd song has a RATM vibe.

Im more into puppets & load than the rest. But i still think this is class.
    Revives my love of metal.

Come on C.O.C. your turn to return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I had to download it too.. I have the COffin preordered so that's my justification ;)

There isn't a moment of weakness on this album as far as I'm concerned!

I love every bit of it and can't put anything else on!

I knew they had it in them to make soooo many people eat their words!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I had to download it too.. I have the COffin preordered so that's my justification ;)

There isn't a moment of weakness on this album as far as I'm concerned!

I love every bit of it and can't put anything else on!

I knew they had it in them to make soooo many people eat their words!
    Im one of those people, and to be honest il gladly eat my words!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Where is the bass on this album? They have a talent like Trujillo in the band and I was half expecting some moderate bass solos or at the very least some audible exhibition of his chops but he's keeping it fairly inconspicious, preferring to be behind the guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Had a listen today and wow. Will have another listen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

After listening to it a few times im mucho impressed and loving it more and more all the time! Even got my brother humming some of the tunes and he wouldnt touch metal with some sort of pole like device!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it is.

All Nightmare Long and The Judas Kiss between them almost make up for St Anger alone.

Hope I'm not alone in thinking that the vocal line in Judas Kiss
    Judas lives ,recite this vow ,I've become your new god now
    is goin to sound amazing with a few thousand ppl singing it live

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Wow. OK, this album is actually good. I'm astonished. METALLICA LIVE AGAIN.

But seriously, why release The Day That Never Comes as the single? I mean yeah, it's a little more radio friendly and has an upbeat section, but there's 4 other songs I would've nominated before that one as the debut single. They need an Enter Sandman style breakthrough single, which is why I'd nominate track 2. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I'm abstaining from all things Metallica until Friday week, thank you very much!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

funnyname wrote: »

Good article, was going to post it myself

I'm abstaining from all things Metallica until Friday week, thank you very much!:D

and yet you are still reading this thread ;-)

Irony sir - it is asking you to pick up its call!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But seriously, why release The Day That Never Comes as the single? I mean yeah, it's a little more radio friendly and has an upbeat section, but there's 4 other songs I would've nominated before that one as the debut single. They need an Enter Sandman style breakthrough single, which is why I'd nominate track 2. But that's just me.

There are far better tracks on the black album than Enter Sandman IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i listened to some of this on youtube, tbh it sounded like standard issue late eighties/eraly ninties thrash around the time a lot of those bands started looking to the mainstream. Some of the vocal lines sounded like they were lifted from Testament songs. Ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yeah i wondered that myself i would have had the Unforgiven 3 as a single as its a very strong track but hey it ll probably be released as one soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

:eek: I was quietly looking forward to this but wow. I never thought they would come up with something like this. Metallica are back!!!!!
    Cant wait to actually buy it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Good article, was going to post it myself

Very interesting. Especially the concession that they hate St Anger. Obviously they look back on it and wince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

from what I heard so far, I think there are better tracks than the unforgiven III , but it's still not that bad. I'm going to wait for official reviews across the board before buying it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

+1 to all the above.

really plesantly surprised. fair play to the lads.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Very interesting. Especially the concession that they hate St Anger. Obviously they look back on it and wince.

Irony - 'hating' St Anger ... :D

But this is something that's been well known for a while. The album itself was removed from the tours following its release very very quickly, simply because they "didn't feel the material" live. Even when they were playing material off it, they'd play very very few tracks, except in some rare cases.

The album was what it was. In fairness though, I often look at 'And Justice For All' as a 'what the **** do we do now' album, much the same as 'St. Anger', especially with Jay Newkid on board. AJFA really only had one anthemic track, 'One'. Everything else on it imho is a snoozefest, & as the Metallicats have recently pointed out, they became afraid of playing the music they loved & 'went 28 different directions' from what they loved.

This is all part of growing up, & with a band that more or less lived on the road like they did, there was little time for any of the normal introspection associated with 'growing up' in your 20's, & certainly the early 30's. So when you lose that introspective time, of course you may find yourself lost along the way & it frankly doesn't surprise me that they spent alot of the years together not knowing who each other was, or what they wanted out of what they were doing or outside the band & that it nearly imploded the way it did.

Any of you who grew up with Rock music in the 80's & were teenagers, or even kids who were actively listening to it, I guarantee you have very VERY different takes on much of that music now, & would even find yourselves labelling alot of new music as 'garbage'.

It is all about how perceptions change as you get older, & perceptions about music is one thing that definitely changes, despite any perceived 'entrenchments'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

BarryCreed wrote: »
    from what I heard so far, I think there are better tracks than the unforgiven III , but it's still not that bad. I'm going to wait for official reviews across the board before buying it...

Oh i know that but the fact that they would be told to a have a "radio friendly" single Unforgiven 3 would suit it.

I just love this album and what really really strikes me is that it has that feeling were you go "man i need to get my guitar and learn these songs these are some damn good riffs". For alot of people Metallica is what got them into playing guitar and the past 3 studio albums never struck that nerve where i wanted to pick up and learn the songs but this album its just where do i begin? It just a onslaught of riffs that need to be learned!

Really the only fault at of the album is ever so popular topic of Lars drumming yes its nowhere near the excellence that he had going during 1989 (1989 Live in Seattle his drumming just blows me away) as i said before in this thread we was going for a organic 1980's sound drumming while everyone one else was using really smack you in the face with a sledgehammer distortion its odd to here when your really used to hearing the same crisp and heavy drumming from other modern bands but that wont ruin the album for me its just a little niggle.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Oh i know that but the fact that they would be told to a have a "radio friendly" single Unforgiven 3 would suit it.

I just love this album and what really really strikes me is that it has that feeling were you go "man i need to get my guitar and learn these songs these are some damn good riffs". For alot of people Metallica is what got them into playing guitar and the past 3 studio albums never struck that nerve where i wanted to pick up and learn the songs but this album its just where do i begin? It just a onslaught of riffs that need to be learned!

Really the only fault at of the album is ever so popular topic of Lars drumming yes its nowhere near the excellence that he had going during 1989 (1989 Live in Seattle his drumming just blows me away) as i said before in this thread we was going for a organic 1980's sound drumming while everyone one else was using really smack you in the face with a sledgehammer distortion its odd to here when your really used to hearing the same crisp and heavy drumming from other modern bands but that wont ruin the album for me its just a little niggle.

Lars Ulrich is over 40 - do you HONESTLY expect him to play like he did at 18 with those drum figures at those speeds still?

It's not like Ringo Star or Charlie from the Stones where they had pedestrian drum lines that are easy to play 20-30 years later ....

People need to get off the lars-drumbashing. You try be a drummer playing some of those drumlines after 25 years & on the regularity he does on the road for several hours a night & see how your body stands up to it?

Fo those who don't know - your average 'rock' drummer in a nite's show burns the same calories as a marathon runner ..... now put that into perspective & I can't believe I'm saying this (cos Lars bugs me stupid with his well uh ya know uhhhh crap!) - but people need to lay off Lars & his drumming & realise he is getting older & NOT 18 any more.

Advertisement