Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I have no preference, I just hate when a band give up going forward and fall back into a comfort zone cos they've no better ideas. I'm not in favour of a half-assed return to their roots, nor a half-assed return to the Load sound. As I said, they've never taken a backward step, even with the dreadful stanger debacle, until now.

It's not a big deal either way, I won't lose any sleep over it. Thankfully I'm immune to the OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! hysterics which seem to have plagued a lot of the posters on this thread, though it has been amusing to read :)

I'll avoid the hype, I'll avoid the bull**** and I'll pick up the album and give it an unbiased listen when it comes out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you = perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Doctor J wrote: »
    I have no preference, I just hate when a band give up going forward and fall back into a comfort zone cos they've no better ideas. I'm not in favour of a half-assed return to their roots, nor a half-assed return to the Load sound. As I said, they've never taken a backward step, even with the dreadful stanger debacle, until now.

It's not a big deal either way, I won't lose any sleep over it. Thankfully I'm immune to the OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! hysterics which seem to have plagued a lot of the posters on this thread, though it has been amusing to read :)

I'll avoid the hype, I'll avoid the bull**** and I'll pick up the album and give it an unbiased listen when it comes out.
    Meh, personally i don't give a **** if a band moves forward or goes back to their routes, so long as they write good music. Radiohead for example, yeah they experiment, but their best work was the bends and Ok Computer imo, so i would love if they just stop ****ing messing with the computers, and pick up their instruments again, if only for one album.

This album is, imo, very good music and some of their best yet. To some people the 'OMG' hysterics are warranted. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised when you give it a listen:)

We'll see. I can't think of too many bands who've done anything special once the well has run dry... think of Iron Maiden after Seventh Son, that kinda thing ;)

I think there are a few cases of it being OMG!!! METALLICA!!! OMG!!! rather than people actually listening to the music, thats all. Once the giddy thrill dies away it's the tunes that will remain. We'll see if it's all OMG!!! in a few months. It would be great if they did produce something genuinely good but I'll wait until I hear the whole thing a few times before I start foaming in my pants :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We'll see. I can't think of too many bands who've done anything special once the well has run dry... think of Iron Maiden after Seventh Son, that kinda thing ;)

I think there are a few cases of it being OMG!!! METALLICA!!! OMG!!! rather than people actually listening to the music, thats all. Once the giddy thrill dies away it's the tunes that will remain. We'll see if it's all OMG!!! in a few months. It would be great if they did produce something genuinely good but I'll wait until I hear the whole thing a few times before I start foaming in my pants :)
    All i can say is, it's been a long time since i felt compelled to listen to an album continuously. When i first got it I listened to it from start - finish, which again, is a rarity. Plus i've been listening to it most days on my walks to and from work. Generally it's the other way round with me, i usually have to have a few listens before i can decide whether i like something.

But certainly don't judge it on TDTNC (as i did when i heard it), that's probably the weakest track on the album.

• Advertisement

We'll see. I can't stand the Danzig-Lite singing Hetfield's been peddling since mid mid-90's, regardless of how good the riffs underneath may be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

We'll see. I can't stand the Danzig-Lite singing Hetfield's been peddling since mid mid-90's, regardless of how good the riffs underneath may be :D

THANK YOU!! so its not just me then.

I dont really need to post on this thread anymore. Doc J is on the same page as me, so i'll leave it to him. (i think its cos we're around the same age, old farts!!)

J, we should go back to the gigsmart board and continue bitching about metallica there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I think the change in sound from justice to reload would still have happened but the songs would have sounded way different, cliff was on his way to co writing entire albums, and you wouldnt have had the skewed hetfield/ulrich dictatorship. would they still have been huge? uncertain of course, i i'd hope they would, but for better reasons. st anger would never have happened though.

I think the wouldnt still be around if Cliff was still alive, as it was pointed out in many interviews they have said that there wasnt enough room for one more ego. So if we base it on the fact that you'd have Cliff and James writing and then Lars trying to produce aswell and with all the well know arguements between James and Lars that went on you can only presume that Cliffs presence and his status as a co writer would of just added to the flames you know. Someone would of left whether it be Cliff or Lars or James im not sure then who knows what happens.

I mean personally i would of loved Jason to have got a bigger contribution to song writting etc but again as iv said Metallica didnt have room for any more contributors dew to what was going on.

Metallica has always been the James and Lars show, always will be. Cliff had three credits on Master Of Puppets, the most significant of which was the fantastic middle section of Orion, so he didn't write too much of the metallic bulk of that album. I don't think, musically, their path would've been wildly different had he lived to be honest, certainly not to the extent that Load and ReLoad wouln't have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Metallica has always been the James and Lars show, always will be. Cliff had three credits on Master Of Puppets, the most significant of which was the fantastic middle section of Orion, so he didn't write too much of the metallic bulk of that album. I don't think, musically, their path would've been wildly different had he lived to be honest, certainly not to the extent that Load and ReLoad wouln't have happened.

Agreed. I recall Cliff Burton saying on Cliff Em All that if people dont like what they do then "whatever"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think I read in an old Hetfield interview, that if Cliff Burton had lived, they probably would've tried the Black/Load/ReLoad kinda stuff a lot earlier in their career....? He seemed to be into a lot of different styles of music, and wasn't just about writing metal.

I haven't heard the album yet - apart from TDTNC,MA & Cyanide. And I won't be downloading it either. I'll wait until Friday, when my cd comes in the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

just got the album........ lovin it so far.... feel kinda durty for loving it too

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

I believe he wrote most of Kirk's solo's, pretty metallic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I've heard tdtnc and its quite good. Lars' drumming sounds a bit out of time at the start. It sounds like an amalgamation of one and to live is to die and some other ballads they wrote. I really like the baroque (around 6.24 in the video) riff they play in the fast bit, very dark. They aren't breaking any new ground with this, especially with kirks usual run down scale, but its pretty cool. The video rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The ablum is good and indeed a step in the right direction, but i don't feel its "OMGZ WOW!! Best EVAAR" good like some people here and that I know seem to think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Pyr0 wrote: »
    The ablum is good and indeed a step in the right direction, but i don't feel its "OMGZ WOW!! Best EVAAR" good like some people here and that I know seem to think.

I agree but its still a good step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

i heard cyanide, tdtnc, and my apocalypse already and they didn't bowl me over, but having heard the album in it's entirety i can say i really like it, it's a grower, and those three tracks fit in well when put in their correct order of play.

good album guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Its a huge step up from St.Anger, which is my least, by a long long way, favourite metallica album. Load and ReLoad have theyre moments to be fair(Fuel being my fave metallica song). But reagrding Death Magnetic, Lars' kit, and his snare in particular, dont mix too well with the guitars and bass sounds. Song-wise, theres some excellent tracks (The judas kiss, All nightmare long and my apocalypse) but cyanide sounds a bit on the thrown-together-in-10-mins side.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

The Judas Kiss is now up for download and stream through missionmetallica platinum!!
    Everyone probably has it at this stage though!! :pac:

I must say I really like this album. I think that some of the songs are the best they've written in a long time. My only gripe is that some of the songs have intros that really ad nothing to the song but length!!!
    All in all its good though.
    I wonder if the fact that the album leaked early will affect overall sales?
    I think most people had the album preordered anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

slayerking wrote: »
    The Judas Kiss is now up for download and stream through missionmetallica platinum!!
    Everyone probably has it at this stage though!! :pac:

I must say I really like this album. I think that some of the songs are the best they've written in a long time. My only gripe is that some of the songs have intros that really ad nothing to the song but length!!!
    All in all its good though.
    I wonder if the fact that the album leaked early will affect overall sales?
    I think most people had the album preordered anyway!!

Im probably part of the handful of fools who will go into the CD shop and buy it on day of release like the good ol days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

From an "old" rocker point of view - listened to bits and pices of the songs on their site(they have 6 up) and you can definitely here Rubins influence - somewhat slayeresque sounding but i feel Hetfields voice doesnt fit the overall sound, could be just me though. Certainly though, not a patch on on the first 4 albums. Definitely better than some of the other crap after them albums though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

notwithstanding his voice is auto tuned to hell and back

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

Whether or not the album is a regressive step or an example of pandering to the fans is irrelevant as long as the songs hold up - and they do for the most part. Definitely on a whole the best songwriting they've exhibited since The Black Album.

One thing that strikes me is how immediate and hooky the album is, which is impressive for such a long-winded effort. While some of the songs would benefit from being briefer (or from being omitted altogether), the album still holds up. I probably won't get much longevity out of it (being mostly a prog fan these days) but it's catchy and it lends itself to multiple spins.

Hammett sounds great on this album and sounds like he's been incorporating some new influences into his work. Lars on the other hand sounds awful at times. Obnoxious and snare-happy, it seems he hasn't picked up his sticks in anger at all in the last few years.

Overall I'd give it ***1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Watching some of Live Sh*t Binge and Purge right now, looking at the cd stores doing midnight openings for black album makes me loath digital downloads/torrents, I'd love to be in a crowd of a few hundred metallica fans again piling into a store to get the new cd :( The hype and excitement of finally getting your hands on the songs...

Cant wait til Friday, gonna listen to the album start to finish uninterrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

AlanOB wrote: »

Hammett sounds great on this album and sounds like he's been incorporating some new influences into his work. Lars on the other hand sounds awful at times. Obnoxious and snare-happy

totally agree with you on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

robby^5 wrote: »
    Watching some of Live Sh*t Binge and Purge right now, looking at the cd stores doing midnight openings for black album makes me loath digital downloads/torrents, I'd love to be in a crowd of a few hundred metallica fans again piling into a store to get the new cd :( The hype and excitement of finally getting your hands on the songs...

Cant wait til Friday, gonna listen to the album start to finish uninterrupted.

Its a crying shame. I completely agree with you. I would love to be standing outside HMV waiting to get my hands on a copy. Now it seem I will have to call down to Sound Celler on Friday at 9AM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive managed to steer clear of any of it with the exception of Cyanide and TDTNC. Just want to listen to it in its entirety on download day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Here is Pitchfork's review of the album for any interested. Goes against the positive reaction of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

faceman wrote: »
    Ive managed to steer clear of any of it with the exception of Cyanide and TDTNC. Just want to listen to it in its entirety on download day!

Same here, cant wait for the CD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Some people will never be happy but the review just seems like ill smash this album while everyone gives it thumbs up just to get views.

I dont mind people not liking the album but if your are going to dislike it at least have some good reasons and not a chip on your shoulder like this guy :rolleyes:

Advertisement