Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't pay any attention to ''reviews'', a review is just an opinion, so unless it's your opinion it really means ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stev_o wrote: »
    Some people will never be happy but the review just seems like ill smash this album while everyone gives it thumbs up just to get views.

I dont mind people not liking the album but if your are going to dislike it at least have some good reasons and not a chip on your shoulder like this guy :rolleyes:

i don't read reviews anymore tbh. they're either overblown brown-nosing by certain mags to keep in favour with the band or self righteous rants by people who don't like the band for whatever reason.

i always remember reading kerrangs(i didn't buy it,just read it in the shop:P) review of st. anger,5 Ks they gave it,waxing lyrical about metallica being back etc. they later revised that rating i believe. anyways,if i like an album thats all that matters to me,if no-one else in the world likes it i couldn't care less,it's all about personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Im just waiting for UG's not for its accuarcy just for the 100 reviews by its users with every 10th one giving it 1 saying its sh1te Megadeth rules and Slayer is Br00TAlz shall make me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

lars is not a particularly accomplished drummer!!

from the horses mouth:http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104340:eek:

i admire his honesty.

I'm still listening to this on a daily basis (right now in fact) and I think it's safe to say that this is probably becoming my favourite Metallica album. Personally I feel that.............

.....I had listed out the songs on the album I feel are some of Metallica's best, but i ended up mentioning 7 out of the 10, so I think it's safe to say that I think this album is great. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Look at the bands and reviews that Pitchfork give 5 stars to. They were never going to like a metallica album. I don't know why they bothered to review it...
    I downloaded it to see what it's like. being a tight @rse, should I now go and buy it?:confused:

though after reading the pitchfork review a few times, there are some very valid points made....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

BarryCreed wrote: »
    though after reading the pitchfork review a few times, there are some very valid points made....

Its words like "self plagerizing sound" which gets my goat. What do Metallica fans expect ? Those fans appear to want a cross between Kill Em All and Master of Puppets, with lyric strength of One,Fade To Black, Dyers Ever, and Sanitarium They want hard riffs, with one epic. They want Hetfield to bark like he did at 20, and they want Metallica to ignore Load and St Anger There will always be one or two reviewers who will go against the grain with some validity, but one the whole it will be attention seeking. Wasnt there one American Critic who gave ""The Dark Knight" no stars and panned the film into orbit ?

--Having read more reviews by these guys, I think they are jokers, and are doing it to get a rise out of people. Look at how they negate the likes of Coldplay etc. They just want a crack at the Big Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Has anyone here joined the Mission Metallica site, and is a Platinum member? Have you received any email notification as to when your cd is due to arrive? I haven't and I am getting a bit worried that I won't have it by Friday.....?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

My box set won't be here for a while but I'll have the download available to me on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

was going to read the pitchfork review just to get a different perspective on the album, but then I noticed that they rated scarlett johanssons album higher and they lost all credability for me.
    anyway I like it and that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

You know the person review the album has a chip on the shoulder when you read this line

"But his intent was well-meaning: get rich, fortysomething rockers to recall themselves as hungry, twentysomething metallers. In the real world, it's called a midlife crisis."

I mean grow up you 6 year old fool! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I thought it was a good review, certainly summed up the mess that Metallica have become since 1991.
    I believe Metallica died creatively a long time ago.
    Proof is in their set lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

death magnetic has just been released! the release date was upped because of the leak....just bought my copy on my lunch!....just so you all know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ice__master

yeah just got it this morning.... WHOOP :D in HMV twas 15.99 they didn't seem to know whether to sell it to me or not and just did YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

What? now i wasnt there myself but apparently when they payed marly park they played very little post black album and didnt play a single son off of st.anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

They played three songs from RTL, They were.

Ride the Lightning
    Creeping Death
    Fade to Black

I was really suprised hearing RTL in there at all, and I was hoping they'd play the whole album :D

Oh sorry, just saw you meant post black album.

I can't remember exactly but they played Cyanide, Memory Remains and thats all that I can remember :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I dont think there is much predictibility in the setlists unless you keep your eyes glued to gig reports. I agree, that seeing the Wembley gig gave me an insight into what the Marley gig was going to be about. I had already heard the likes of The Four Horsemen Live.

However, I have seen them 6 times and have seen a real variety. All I would like is more Kill Em All ! I hav3e still to see Hit The Lights.

On the next tour I am sure they will revamp their setlist. They do that before each tour. I would wager we wont see Creeping Death as the opener and Seek and Destroy as the closer for quite some time. Bear in mind since December 2003 there has only been one full tour, two sick of the studio tours and a European Mini Album Promoter tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Does anyone know is Tesco/Dunnes have put it out for sale like HMV etc have?

I ask because it will be after six before I finish work and HMV will be closed by then.

I tried ringing two of the Tesco stores in Limerick, one did not answer their phone and the customer service bint at the other one did not know as "music is not her thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,381 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Het-Field wrote: »
    I dont think there is much predictibility in the setlists unless you keep your eyes glued to gig reports. I agree, that seeing the Wembley gig gave me an insight into what the Marley gig was going to be about. I had already heard the likes of The Four Horsemen Live.

However, I have seen them 6 times and have seen a real variety. All I would like is more Kill Em All ! I hav3e still to see Hit The Lights.

On the next tour I am sure they will revamp their setlist. They do that before each tour. I would wager we wont see Creeping Death as the opener and Seek and Destroy as the closer for quite some time. Bear in mind since December 2003 there has only been one full tour, two sick of the studio tours and a European Mini Album Promoter tour.

Or if ya see them too much!!! 2007(Belgium) & 2008(Holland) were pretty much the exact same...got very bored the second time. At least they may play this album a lot more, and be in the mood for different AJFA songs(Harvester would be sweet more).

All Nightmare Long....what a song!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Fair dues just picked up my copy there in HMV, listening now!!! Sure beats having to listen to it off Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Disappointing. :( Same old same old, but not as good.

Couple of decent tracks (The Day That Never Comes is best I think) and they seem back on form with Suicide & Redemption.
    But I found it mainly mediocre, and tedious at times. Better than St. Anger but I think I'll stick to their classic albums.

Mushy wrote: »

All Nightmare Long....what a song!!!

That's definitely a favourite of mine too, fantastic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

That's definitely a favourite of mine too, fantastic song.

damn it, i thought they'd have it up on itunes....:mad: will have to go to town and get it tomorrow.

Tackle69 wrote: »
    damn it, i thought they'd have it up on itunes....:mad: will have to go to town and get it tomorrow.
    Or get it via other means now, listen to it all night, then go and get the cd tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Or get it via other means now, listen to it all night, then go and get the cd tomorrow:)

I just checked play.com and the order has already been dispatched:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This album is a grower.

Album is pretty good for what it is. I don't hear anything new, but I suppose that's what the fans want, and that's what they got. WAY better than St. Anger and Re-Load though. I thought Load was ok, but it was around that time I started to lose interest in metal and listen to different types/styles of music. (saw Metallica in 92 and 96 and that was that for me..) While not banishing my metal collection to the bin, I've bought less metal albums since then, and little to none in the last few years. Ok, I've received copies of them.

I think the problem here with me going "meh" with Death Magnetic is that I've moved on.

I saw Soulfly recently and was expecting to be blown away live, but it was same old same old, cheesey solos, I was of the opinion that Max hadn't moved on, and I had. And that's fine. That's me.

I would consider the last few Mastodon albums to be far superior to anything Metallica has done recently, and since I was moving away from metal, I would still have the ear cocked for something that will grab my attention. (Mastodon). Now you could argue Mastodon aren't reinventing the wheel either but I would prefer it to Death Magnetic. Maybe the fact Mastodon have a freak of a drummer....dunno...
    I find myself drifting towards Tool, QOTSA these days...
    I would also prefer the Down stuff or the last COC album to Death Magnetic, but that's just me.

However, thankfully Metallica's setlist will no longer have to stop at 1992. Lots of these new songs would be a blast to experience live methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eschaton

you can buy it in HMV now for €16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

wow, pitchfork reviews are generally total crap, but I have to agree 100% on that review.

Reload still sounds better to me. The new album is just so generic and bland sounding. It's almost got that "ever song sounds the same" sound to it

At least they're trying I guess

Advertisement