Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BarryCreed wrote: »
    I would also prefer the Down stuff or the last COC album to Death Magnetic, but that's just me.

I only heard Down III last night, it sounded really dull tbh, the first album is fanf***intastic though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bought it this morning and it is better than I expected.

I am most defo in the camp that has not been impressed with most of what Metallica did after the first five albums, but this is sounding good.

What hit me straight away about the album, especially with the opening song, That Was Just Your Life, is how much the album has an And Justice... crossed with Iron Maiden's Killers vibe running through it. So many of Kirk's solos are Maiden-esque, no bad thing though as it is Maiden's better works that it reminds me of.

After a few more listens I was picking up quite a few other bands whose influences seemed to be creeping in. Pearl Jam like riffs and one that is almost note for note pop up, and I also heard bits that really reminded me of Bad Religion. Not that I am complaining as I like all those bands and Metallica have added their own stamp to the proceedings.

At times it is quite cliched, especially in terms of lyrics, and the drumming is the weak link on the album. But the pros defo outweigh the cons for me.

It's no Master Of Puppets in terms of quality, but to be honest I was not expecting an album to hit me as much as that album hit me 22 years ago.

But for all the other guys and gals out there who have felt let down by Metallica over the last 17 years, I would advise you to get this and listen to it cranked up loud. It does not touch the first three albums, but it gives Justice a run for it's money to my ears.

Hmmm actually crossing Justice with Load may be a better desription of this album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

they ripped off their older songs on some of this, no bad thing I suppose...
    I'll listen a few times on downloaded version, before I buy...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

eschaton wrote: »
    you can buy it in HMV now for €16.
    just for the record, golden discs are selling it for 17 euro, best off in hmv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

lord lucan wrote: »
    i don't read reviews anymore tbh. they're either overblown brown-nosing by certain mags to keep in favour with the band or self righteous rants by people who don't like the band for whatever reason.

i always remember reading kerrangs(i didn't buy it,just read it in the shop:P) review of st. anger,5 Ks they gave it,waxing lyrical about metallica being back etc. they later revised that rating i believe. anyways,if i like an album thats all that matters to me,if no-one else in the world likes it i couldn't care less,it's all about personal taste.

I rember a review of stanger in FHM or soem mens magazine, saying metallica were 'back!' with 'self indulgent solos!' haha..obviously never heard the album but wrote a review of it anyway.
    So Death magnetic is stanger with better riffs than eh? As expected so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BarryCreed wrote: »
    they ripped off their older songs on some of this, no bad thing I suppose...

from what i've heard of it chuck billy should be looking for some royalties..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Right, Rockee has decided to get it today!! HMV here I come. By the way, will the sales of 'Death Magnetic' in the last couple of days count towards this weekends album sales charts or whats the craic there??

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Having herd it now at least 15 times i think its back to what they do best...fast passed metal. It may not be a classic by any means but yet its a step in the right direction after St Wankbag. For me its a good album and i will buy a copy for the colllection.

Having seem metallica every time since 1996 (barr this year), i would safely say that there will be some live favorites from this album. What they will be, is for you to decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just got an email saying that my Coffin box Set has been dispatched!!!

I was hopin I'd have it by tomorrow, but its doubtful I will now seen as its comin from the UK!!:mad:
    Fingers crossed!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Got an email about that. I won't be home til sometime next Thursday but not to worry. Album Launch party, here I come \o/

(I'll stop mentioning that soon...)

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    Got an email about that. I won't be home til sometime next Thursday but not to worry. Album Launch party, here I come \o/

Eeehh nobody cares!!! (.....wipes a tear from eye!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Picked up the cd today, HMV Henry Street were selling it, listening to it now... it's absolutely awesome, just starting my second listen through the whole thing.

It's definitely metallica back on top, by no means they're greatest album but definitely the best all round album they've made since the black album.

............................They're back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's pretty stonkin to be honest. A few more listens and I think I will be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Picked it up today and was holding my breath til I stuck it on.
    At first I thought it was a bit Bob Rockesque with a nod towards the Load years, then it heated up a bit and 'All nightmare long' raised a smile, now thats more like it.
    The rest of the Album sounds great initially, Suicide Redemption is thumpin'.

Some of the tracks are a throw back to the puppets years.

I think they've cracked it, 'Tallica are back :D

The whole album is being streamed from Metallica.com now for anyone who hasnt heard some of it!!!

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Halfway through Cyanide on first listen of the album (thank God for broken release dates!!)

Have to say that I'd replace That Was Just Your Life and The End Of The Line, they just don't do it for me. All Nightmare Long is incredible. The Day That Never Comes I've been listening to for weeks, 'nuff said. Cyanide I heard in Marlay and loved it. In all, I was always gonna love this album thanks to St Anger but I would say it's definitely more than a consolation prize to those of us scarred by St Anger.

Yup, cliché on it's way, "They're Back!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Jon wrote: »
    'All nightmare long' raised a smile, now thats more like it.

Im the EXACT same..the first minute of 'All Nightmare Long' had me grinning from ear to ear. :D

Its a grower, and theres plenty more riffs I need to digest on 2nd, 3rd, 4th listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Just fnishing up my first time listening it through. It is more of the first four albums then the last four.

As has been mentioned, some of these will kick ass live.

Favourites are This is Just your life, All Nightmare Long, Suicide and Redemption, Unforgiven 3, Cyanide, The Judas Kiss, Day that Never Comes,My Apoclypse, Broken Beaten and Scarred and The End Of Your Life. **** thats all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    Album Launch party, here I come \o/

see you there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Small smell of Orion off the beginning of My Apocolypes... never a bad thing!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

kbannon wrote: »

Already been posted.......twice in fact ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

oops - I hadn't (obviously) seen it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

lord lucan wrote: »
    see you there ;)

Cool. Look for the guy in the Metclub shirt with the long hair! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Metallica are a joke, oo the bad man is downloading my music make him stop, don't know how anyone could listen to these muppets

MooseJam wrote: »
    Metallica are a joke, oo the bad man is downloading my music make him stop, don't know how anyone could listen to these muppets

They actually didnt mind the DM leak :rolleyes: grow up man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm not talking about the DM leak, I'm talking about them bitching about napster 9 odd years ago, think it was napster, they are multi multi millionaires and they bitch about pennyless timmy downloading their tunes because he can't afford to buy a cd, they are scum

I'm not talking about the DM leak, I'm talking about them bitching about napster 9 odd years ago, think it was napster, they are multi multi millionaires and they bitch about pennyless timmy downloading their tunes because he can't afford to buy a cd, they are scum

Thats a very long and pointless grudge you have there.

• Advertisement

Gettin very annoyed over something your not sure about!! :rolleyes:

Dont think it bothers people anymore really!
    Its a bit of a cliche a this stage!!

Advertisement