Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For me it's 'The Day That Never Comes'... I haven't even given it a chance to be fair, just skip past it. Unforgiven III is ok, but not one of my favourites.
    Thats another I just can't take to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I got the album today. Musically it's a step in the right direction, but I can't listen to it because of the awful mixing. There are no dynamics whatsoever and it clips all over the place. It was actually hurting my ears listening to it. :mad: :(

I was looking forward to it... DAMN YOU RICK RUBEN!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yeah the clipping is really annoying it just ruins songs like Judas Kiss were it stands out. Other people on UG mentioned that they would love if Bob Rock mixed it or at least was the sound engineering because he knew how to get the best recording sound out of Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dont know about any weak songs. I am still critical of parts of My Apocolypse. My favs are The Unforgiven 3, This Is Just Your Life, Suicide and Redemption, and Cyanide (defo my favourite).

Just noticed that the band only played 5 DM Songs at the launch concert in Berlin. Some interesting selections in the setlist from last night. For the first time in 8 years the band took on Until it Sleeps, which pleases me. As a Load fan I am happy to see the return of a song jettisoned as a result of Newstead hating it. I am shocked and disgusted to see the return of the awful "Frantic".

Realistically they played nothing I havent heard before save Blitzkreig,Jump In the Fire, Until It Sleeps and the DM Stuff. Thus I am not too disapointed that I wasnt there, or wont be going to London

Hopefully the band will re-engage some of the Load/Reload era into theirlive shows. Mabye Hero Of The Day, The Unforgive ii, and Aint My Bitch might get airtime in their next tour. With the excetpion of the eponomous song, I dont want to hear any StAnger

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

personally I think they should stay away from bob rock in future,he sent them in the wrong direction,thats my personal opinion of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have to say that I am amazed this thread has reached 20 pages of discussion. I haven't really kept up with the discussion but compared to the mere 2 pages of debate that accompanied the release of St. Anger it must be a good sign right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

malice_ wrote: »
    I have to say that I am amazed this thread has reached 20 pages of discussion. I haven't really kept up with the discussion but compared to the mere 2 pages of debate that accompanied the release of St. Anger it must be a good sign right?

it was because of st. anger that there was so much anticipation of a new metallica album. despite being written off by many people there's still a curiosity as to whether they could return to form so to speak. i've a few mates who gave up on them years ago but having heard the leaks they've gone and bought the album.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I'm frothing from the mouth right now as going to see Metallica tomorrow here at the O2 arena in London. It's gonna rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Het-Field wrote: »
    Dont know about any weak songs. I am still critical of parts of My Apocolypse. My favs are The Unforgiven 3, This Is Just Your Life, Suicide and Redemption, and Cyanide (defo my favourite).

Just noticed that the band only played 5 DM Songs at the launch concert in Berlin. Some interesting selections in the setlist from last night. For the first time in 8 years the band took on Until it Sleeps, which pleases me. As a Load fan I am happy to see the return of a song jettisoned as a result of Newstead hating it. I am shocked and disgusted to see the return of the awful "Frantic".

Realistically they played nothing I havent heard before save Blitzkreig,Jump In the Fire, Until It Sleeps and the DM Stuff. Thus I am not too disapointed that I wasnt there, or wont be going to London

Hopefully the band will re-engage some of the Load/Reload era into theirlive shows. Mabye Hero Of The Day, The Unforgive ii, and Aint My Bitch might get airtime in their next tour. With the excetpion of the eponomous song, I dont want to hear any StAnger
    I agree they should play more load songs, id love to hear them do bleeding me again. Ive listened to death magnetic a few times now and i think its a pretty good album.
    I didnt like unforgiven3 at first but its one of my favourite tracks on the album now , also like "broken, beaaten and scarred",all nightmare long and end of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote: »
    it was because of st. anger that there was so much anticipation of a new metallica album. despite being written off by many people there's still a curiosity as to whether they could return to form so to speak.
    But why then wasn't there 20+ pages of discussion when St. Anger was released? I appreciate that the forum was probably much smaller but after the Load/Reload albums would the same Metallica fans that were so curious about Death Magnetic not have been curious about St. Anger?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nochain5

faceman wrote: »
    Im looking forward to this!
    bought the ****er today and its animal..best album i've heard in ages..seasons in the abyss has just come onto telly(what a day):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nochain5

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm frothing from the mouth right now as going to see Metallica tomorrow here at the O2 arena in London. It's gonna rock!
    BASTARD...ENJOY

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Can't wait for the after show party tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

feylya wrote: »

How have you not been banned yet :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

BossArky wrote: »

i think they dont allow rabid human beings into the uk. you should see someone about that before you go...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But why then wasn't there 20+ pages of discussion when St. Anger was released? I appreciate that the forum was probably much smaller but after the Load/Reload albums would the same Metallica fans that were so curious about Death Magnetic not have been curious about St. Anger?

Bacause there wasnt any discussion as to whether St Anger was ****e or not? While people are under the delusion that metallica are back on form now and thus the need for rebuttal :pac:

because most people thought it was ****e so there was feck all to discuss. after 5 years questions were being asked whether they could go any lower,hence the hype/anticipation about death magnetic.

feylya wrote: »

there's a pre-show too;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

But that's the public one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gave it another chance, but I really can't understand what people see in it, other than the name of the band. First off, it sounds ****. The mix is horrible and that isn't helped by any resemblance of a dynamic mastered out of it. It wouldn't surprise me for a re-mastered version of this to hit the shelves within a year. It's staggering that they spent almost two years in the studio and only had this mess at the end of it. It is a genuinely unpleasant listen and that's before you start to take the songs into account.

Ah yes, the songs. It sounds like they genuinely ran out of ideas. Yes, there are riffs aplenty but there are so many pointless parts that serve no purpose other than running up the clock it's not funny. It's a boring album. It goes on far too long without anything new to say. How many songs start with that syncopated riff and drum intro idea they overused on stanger? Then there's a riff which has nothing to do with anything and only then does the "song" actually start. How many riffs following the Sandman template of three repeated bars and a tail? It's just got nothing interesting going for it. Does Ulrich ever stop drumming? Even on quiet parts it seems he's incessantly pissing away on a high-hat or something, determined to leave his mark on every bar. As for the overall level of drumming... it's depressing to see people try to make excuses for him saying he's in his 40's. There is no excuse, his peers from that era have left him in the dirt and he is a pale shadow of the drummer he used to be. He doesn't practice and he is a **** drummer as a result, really ****. However he knows that he can put out any old ****e and there'll be a couple of million units shifted on the logo alone so, hey, why bother? Bollocks. I don't understand where comparisons with AJFA are coming from, other than the lack of bass in the mix there is nothing, absolutely nothing, they have in common. If Metallica "being heavy" is all people want then I despair, I really do. This isn't a good Metallica album, let alone a good Metal album. It mystifies me where people are finding redeeming features, it's re-stanger tuned up to E and pretending to be a contemporary Metal album. The singing is to the same stanger standard too, even the Danzig-lite years were better than this. What's most evident though is the lack of song ideas, there just aren't any good songs on the album, just one mish-mash of riffs after another. It's just boring.

Honestly, you know the point in the film where Bob Rock throws out the idea "it's a garage band, only the band is Metallica" - well that's what this album sounds like. It's the album stanger should have been and this album should have been a hell of a lot better... but it's not. It's weak and poorly cobbled together. Given all the **** talking they did about loads of riffs and where their heads were at for AJFA, it smacks of desperation that they put out such a piss poor attempt at a Metal album while there is a greater appreciation of 80's Metal. Maybe they were trying to prove to themselves they still "had it" after being so wildly out of touch with the last album. I'm sorry to say but the only thing they have is a greatest hits set which will keep the young 'uns buying tickets and t-shirts for another few years but I think future set lists will feature as much of the mess from this album as they do the last three albums.

• Advertisement

personally I think they should stay away from bob rock in future,he sent them in the wrong direction,thats my personal opinion of course.
    Bob Rock was never the problem. He never brought Metallica anywhere they didn't want to go. In fact, the likes of The Cult and Motley Crue got a lot heavier, but in a good way, with Bob Rock at the desk. If anything, the meandering mess that has just been released should vindicate Bob entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Doctor J wrote: »
    As for the overall level of drumming... it's depressing to see people try to make excuses for him saying he's in his 40's. There is no excuse, his peers from that era have left him in the dirt and he is a pale shadow of the drummer he used to be. He doesn't practice and he is a **** drummer as a result, really ****

Are you sure? Ulrich was never a good drummer. It's a well known fact that he played with Metal Church for a short time but they got rid of him because he was ****e. Good thing too because the drummer that replaced him was excellent

Very sure, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Doctor J wrote: »
    Gave it another chance, but I really can't understand what people see in it, other than the name of the band. First off, it sounds ****. The mix is horrible and that isn't helped by any resemblance of a dynamic mastered out of it. It wouldn't surprise me for a re-mastered version of this to hit the shelves within a year. It's staggering that they spent almost two years in the studio and only had this mess at the end of it. It is a genuinely unpleasant listen and that's before you start to take the songs into account.

Ah yes, the songs. It sounds like they genuinely ran out of ideas. Yes, there are riffs aplenty but there are so many pointless parts that serve no purpose other than running up the clock it's not funny. It's a boring album. It goes on far too long without anything new to say. How many songs start with that syncopated riff and drum intro idea they overused on stanger? Then there's a riff which has nothing to do with anything and only then does the "song" actually start. How many riffs following the Sandman template of three repeated bars and a tail? It's just got nothing interesting going for it. Does Ulrich ever stop drumming? Even on quiet parts it seems he's incessantly pissing away on a high-hat or something, determined to leave his mark on every bar. As for the overall level of drumming... it's depressing to see people try to make excuses for him saying he's in his 40's. There is no excuse, his peers from that era have left him in the dirt and he is a pale shadow of the drummer he used to be. He doesn't practice and he is a **** drummer as a result, really ****. However he knows that he can put out any old ****e and there'll be a couple of million units shifted on the logo alone so, hey, why bother? Bollocks. I don't understand where comparisons with AJFA are coming from, other than the lack of bass in the mix there is nothing, absolutely nothing, they have in common. If Metallica "being heavy" is all people want then I despair, I really do. This isn't a good Metallica album, let alone a good Metal album. It mystifies me where people are finding redeeming features, it's re-stanger tuned up to E and pretending to be a contemporary Metal album. The singing is to the same stanger standard too, even the Danzig-lite years were better than this. What's most evident though is the lack of song ideas, there just aren't any good songs on the album, just one mish-mash of riffs after another. It's just boring.

Honestly, you know the point in the film where Bob Rock throws out the idea "it's a garage band, only the band is Metallica" - well that's what this album sounds like. It's the album stanger should have been and this album should have been a hell of a lot better... but it's not. It's weak and poorly cobbled together. Given all the **** talking they did about loads of riffs and where their heads were at for AJFA, it smacks of desperation that they put out such a piss poor attempt at a Metal album while there is a greater appreciation of 80's Metal. Maybe they were trying to prove to themselves they still "had it" after being so wildly out of touch with the last album. I'm sorry to say but the only thing they have is a greatest hits set which will keep the young 'uns buying tickets and t-shirts for another few years but I think future set lists will feature as much of the mess from this album as they do the last three albums.

You seem to be obsessed with the idea that Metallica are just anxious to create sales.

Its horses for courses, and I believe that you dont like this album. Either way, while the mixing is not the best, I think the songs have some real strengths. If you listen to them they are genuinly hard, without resorting to some of the riffs of St Anger

Het-Field wrote: »
    You seem to be obsessed with the idea that Metallica are just anxious to create sales.

Its horses for courses, and I believe that you dont like this album. Either way, while the mixing is not the best, I think the songs have some real strengths. If you listen to them they are genuinly hard, without resorting to some of the riffs of St Anger
    No, that's incorrect. I'm not suggesting they're doing what they're doing for the sake of sales, not at all. I'm saying that, regadless of what they put out, it will sell and they know it will sell. Very big difference.

I don't believe the music on this record is that far away from what they did on the last one, despite the hype. I don't hear that great a leap. I certainly don't hear the "return to form" so many people are crowing about.

I havent given this a second listen, but when i do i'd say i'm gonna agree with doc j.

but for anyone who bought the album, can they tell me what the credits are?

who's writing the bulk of the songs? any contribution from kirk or rob?

is it "produced by rick rubin with hetfield and ulrich"? who's the engineer?

They need somebody to stand over their shoulders and produce them, not an absentee producer like rubin....the problem is i think they're surrounded by yes men.

i think they're surrounded by yes men.
    That's a good point. I'm amazed that album got approval to be released, sounding the way it does. Disregarding the musical content, the mix and mastering are apalling and there should be no way that standard of mastering should ever have been printed to a single CD, let alone millions and then released. How come no-one stopped it and had it done properly, did no-one along the line have the balls/authority to say "That sounds crap. Do it again!"? There is just no excuse to release something which has been so badly mastered.

Where the **** is Lars' oul fella when you need him? :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It was released by warner bros.

Other fine warner bros mixes include:

RHCP - Californiacation
    Black Sabbath's Black Box Remastered boxset

:P

To be honest the only reason I don't own this CD is because of the mastering/mixing, otherwise it's a solid cd, not at all up to Metallica's early stuff but taking that name out of the equastion and I'd easily listen to it (had it been mastered properly).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Alot of over analysis going on in the thread! Since when do you need to be the best drummer to make the best music?

Im not sure if the mix is that awful but the drum tracks are poor. I hate the sound of the snare drum. Its too thin and tight.

I dont like Unforgiven III or the long instrumental (The name escapes me)

Overall its an enjoyable romp but i dont see it dragging me back as times goes on. I do like TDTNC, even the first 4 mins. Sounds very lizzy influenced towards the end of the song.

Lots of Iron Maiden sounds to some of the songs.

But lots of spinal tap moments too.

Re the comment about them being surrounded by Yes men, i dont agree with that at all. metallica just have the music equivalent of what the film industry calls "final cut" on their music. They can put out what they want. When St Anger first came out, the first reaction was that it was much heavier than previous albums therefore it carried more short term weight until people got used to it!

We know that Ulrich's Da and their manager from Electric Records didnt like most of St Anger.

• Advertisement

[apu] final cut is a good thing...not always[/apu]

Advertisement