Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Doctor J wrote: »
    Any other rock guitarist? You've heard of Eddie Van Halen?

I grew up on Eddie/Yngwie/Iommi/Rhodes - bread & butter for me, but Wylde is widely acknowledged to have inspired more people to buy guitars than Eddie, & the sales of his signature series keeps the Epiphone people very VERY happy, not to mention it is the most knocked off signature series in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ven0m wrote: »
    I grew up on Eddie/Yngwie/Iommi/Rhodes - bread & butter for me, but Wylde is widely acknowledged to have inspired more people to buy guitars than Eddie, & the sales of his signature series keeps the Epiphone people very VERY happy, not to mention it is the most knocked off signature series in the world.
    Eddie Van Halen completely revolutionised rock guitar and there are still bands ripping off his sound and playing style, as well as his strat design, Kramer design, EBMM design and Peavey design, not to mention his amp designs... none of which came as a cheapo Korean version to appeal to intermediate players. Wylde is a great player, but he's a sideman and Van Halen dominated an entire decade, there is no comparison, regardless of how many copies Epiphone have sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Eddie Van Halen completely revolutionised rock guitar and there are still bands ripping off his sound and playing style, as well as his strat design, Kramer design, EBMM design and Peavey design, not to mention his amp designs... none of which came as a cheapo Korean version to appeal to intermediate players. Wylde is a great player, but he's a sideman and Van Halen dominated an entire decade, there is no comparison, regardless of how many copies Epiphone have sold.

You are talking out your arse - Eddie ripped off Hendrix, so if you wanna talk about 'revolutionised' - check your facts.

P.S. his first guitar wasn't a Kramer, it was a 'seconds' spurious body, with misc. spurious parts - Kramer picked up him up way after, but the Frankenstein guitar came first & even that was an evolution, as he was the first commericial rock artist to use a Floyd Rose locking bridge system.

And if you ever owned a 5150 stack, you'd know it never even comes close to a Marshall stack, which WAS part of Eddie's "brown sound" originally.

EDIT: And I'm not talking about the piss poor 1994 onwards Marshalls (horrible pieces of **** that they became!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

When you take this album on its own without glancing back and comparing it to their back catalogue, I think it stands up. It's fast and heavy. I really like it.
    Twenty five years on from Kill 'Em All and the band suddenly produce this after? What a great return to form! It's hard to be 100% original after all this time and you'll always find old habits, licks, riffs, techniques creeping in. But these are all in all good songs. Some better than others. I think "End of the Line" is an example of what St. Anger would have sounded like if Lars hadn't been mucking around with his snare and the production on that album was more finished.
    Some stand out songs for me are "All Nightmare Long", "Judas Kiss", "The Day That Never Comes", "That Was Just Your Life" and "My Apocolypse".

Nice to see Metallica back! :D

ven0m wrote: »
    You are talking out your arse - Eddie ripped off Hendrix, so if you wanna talk about 'revolutionised' - check your facts.

P.S. his first guitar wasn't a Kramer, it was a 'seconds' spurious body, with misc. spurious parts - Kramer picked up him up way after, but the Frankenstein guitar came first & even that was an evolution, as he was the first commericial rock artist to use a Floyd Rose locking bridge system.

And if you ever owned a 5150 stack, you'd know it never even comes close to a Marshall stack, which WAS part of Eddie's "brown sound" originally.

EDIT: And I'm not talking about the piss poor 1994 onwards Marshalls (horrible pieces of **** that they became!!!)

Try reading it properly before you soil your pants, I never said his first guitar was a Kramer so I don't know why you're having a hissy fit. Whether he ripped off Hendrix or not, Van Halen's sound and style dominated the 80's and there are countless soundalikes to back that up. If you want to see more influence than the sideman Zakk Wylde, there ya go.

P.S. It's Rhoads ;)

P.P.S. who said his amp sounded like his old Marshall?

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Try discussing what I post, not what you're imagining is being said.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Are you sure? Ulrich was never a good drummer. It's a well known fact that he played with Metal Church for a short time but they got rid of him because he was ****e. Good thing too because the drummer that replaced him was excellent

Thats not entirely correct dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Try reading it properly before you soil your pants, I never said his first guitar was a Kramer so I don't know why you're having a hissy fit. Whether he ripped off Hendrix or not, Van Halen's sound and style dominated the 80's and there are countless soundalikes to back that up. If you want to see more influence than the sideman Zakk Wylde, there ya go.

P.S. It's Rhoads ;)

P.P.S. who said his amp sounded like his old Marshall?

P.P.P.P.P.P.S. Try discussing what I post, not what you're imagining is being said.

:rolleyes:

It's strange how this thread has veered off into a discussion on Eddies tone. Personally, I think that the Peavey VTM series (predecessor to the 5150) sounds more like it than the 5150. But the VTM came out in '87 or '88 I believe?

No idea, it was just mentioned as another item he had a hand in designing which was a very successful product. I couldn't care less if it sounds like his old Marshall :)

Anyway... back on topic... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Now now......lets not say things we cant take back!!!!

Although he woulda done a WAY better job, his influence on the band as a whole would have killed the album id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Little interjection here - Has anyone who pre-ordered the Coffin got it yet?

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    Now now......lets not say things we cant take back!!!!

Although he woulda done a WAY better job, his influence on the band as a whole would have killed the album id say.
    Did someone delete a post there? :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

sorry to drag this back off topic, but venom, i have to agree with j...the only thing wylde has revolutionised is sales of signature guitars....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

9494.jpg

heehehee

They still got the A wrong :mad: :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm back. The gig rocked. Sleep now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Are you sure? Ulrich was never a good drummer. It's a well known fact that he played with Metal Church for a short time but they got rid of him because he was ****e. Good thing too because the drummer that replaced him was excellent

I am by no means a metallica fanboy,and know lars drumming has'nt been great in recent yrs,but how dare you say the above comment.

Ulrich was a good drummer back before load and reload,wtf are you talking about?its only after the black in my opinion and with bod rocks influence he become ****e,back the day,he was one of the best thrash metal drummer around,kill em all,ride the lightning,master of puppets,And justice of all,his drumming on all those are superd,especially and justice for all,his was at his best then,the black I will admit is not a great drumming album and is bland,but that in my opinion was because bod rock was telling him what to play,I will admit though he is ****e live,but the drumming on this new album aint at all that bad,ok it no and justice for all,but it definitely a step in the right direction,the youtube clip you posted of metal church,the drumming is nothing compared to lars earlier stuff,so basically how dare you say hes always been a ****e when has'nt been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

is and justice for all considered a good metallica album ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

MooseJam wrote: »

Probably their best *waits for MoP fans to take offence to this*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think its there best,that my opinion.

just listened to it there and the best I can say is it's boring, most songs sound the same, why does he have to say a or yea or something at the end of every sentence, sounds retarded

• Advertisement

just listened to it there and the best I can say is it's boring, most songs sound the same, why does he have to say a or yea or something at the end of every sentence, sounds retarded

Maybe Metallica's not for you then im afraid

I'm just surprised that they aren't any good seeing as how popular they are, but then you could say the same about westlife

maybe people dont think its there best becuase cliff burton aint playing on it :-p.

maybe people dont think its there best becuase cliff burton aint playing on it :-p.

I still think Cliff is over rated IMO :pac: *waits for the flames :P*

Stev_o wrote: »
    I still think Cliff is over rated IMO :pac: *waits for the flames :P*

dam straight,he was a good bass player,but jason newstead was just as good,I think most people dont like him just because he played with a pick :rolleyes:.

dam straight,he was a good bass player,but jason newstead was just as good,I think most people dont like him just because he played with a pick :rolleyes:.

Exactly hit the nail on the head and whatever Jason may have lacked in guitar...sorry bass skill's he made up for with stage presence and bloody god damn brilliant backing vocals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

new songs sound savage live i have to say. kick ass gig in london last night,back to the 'in the round' set-up,great stuff.

they played 'that was just your life','end of the line',broken,beat and scarred'.'cyanide' and 'the day that never comes' off of death magnetic and they sounded great live. they struggled slightly with TDTNC but then again they ****ed up stone cold crazy and MOP:p

looking forward to hearing more of them live when they kick off the US tour next month.

as an aside,the o2 is a top venue. it's like a gigantic mall,full of shops,bars,restaurants and a cinema as well as the music venue obv. easy to get beer inside,they even had birds going around the floor selling beer to you,deadly!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Suicide and Redemption is the only track that bothers me on this album, because the band freely admitted that
    they had recorded another, 11th, track but refused to put it on the album for some reason or another
    and a 10 minute instrumental, given that information, seems pretty
    ****ing
    stupid to me
    especially considering the band are already rumoured to have another albums worth of material written and in waiting for early to mid next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Little interjection here - Has anyone who pre-ordered the Coffin got it yet?

Nope, didnt get mine yet!!!!:mad:
    I'm hopin it'll arrive in the morning.
    Anyone get theres yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't like it much for the reasons you stated, it's fairly boring sounding.

Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Load + Reload and Garage Inc are the only albums of theirs that I still like. I used to be a big fan but I guess tastes change.

Advertisement