Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

lord lucan wrote: »
    new songs sound savage live i have to say. kick ass gig in london last night,back to the 'in the round' set-up,great stuff.

they played 'that was just your life','end of the line',broken,beat and scarred'.'cyanide' and 'the day that never comes' off of death magnetic and they sounded great live. they struggled slightly with TDTNC but then again they ****ed up stone cold crazy and MOP:p

looking forward to hearing more of them live when they kick off the US tour next month.

as an aside,the o2 is a top venue. it's like a gigantic mall,full of shops,bars,restaurants and a cinema as well as the music venue obv. easy to get beer inside,they even had birds going around the floor selling beer to you,deadly!!:D

Didn't hear the **** up in MOP but heard the one in Stone and in Seek when they were all being bombarded with beach balls. What a gig though! What a set list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Stev_o wrote: »
    Exactly hit the nail on the head and whatever Jason may have lacked in guitar...sorry bass skill's he made up for with stage presence and bloody god damn brilliant backing vocals

I always admire bass players who don't play with a pic, especially Metallica stuff..
    I would think Cliff was way better than Jason. I put on kill em all the other day, and f**k, but anesthesia is one kick ass track, just bass and drums. I don't know if I've heard anything else like it, 25 years on, if there is something better, send me on the link..
    I think it sounds pretty original for that genre...
    I don't know if Jason would ever have written something like that, but no doubt, he probably wasn't allowed to...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Listened to it a couple of times now, and it doesn't strike me as anything special. There's a few catchy bits, but for the most part it neither rocks almighty or sucks outright, it just sorta plods along.
    Can't see any any reason to make a hoo-ha about it, either for or against.
    So......who likes nachos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

BarryCreed wrote: »
    I always admire bass players who don't play with a pic, especially Metallica stuff..
    I would think Cliff was way better than Jason. I put on kill em all the other day, and f**k, but anesthesia is one kick ass track, just bass and drums. I don't know if I've heard anything else like it, 25 years on, if there is something better, send me on the link..
    I think it sounds pretty original for that genre...
    I don't know if Jason would ever have written something like that, but no doubt, he probably wasn't allowed to...
    You should listen to the first Flotsam & Jetsam album if you want to hear what Jason was really like. His time in Metallica is not representative of what he is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

slayerking wrote: »
    Nope, didnt get mine yet!!!!:mad:
    I'm hopin it'll arrive in the morning.
    Anyone get theres yet?

Got an email explaining what happened -

Thank you for your email. Your patience is much appreciated.

Unfortunately there was an error with the dispatch for your product and as a result of this you were notified of its dispatch before it had actually happened. Your product will in fact arrive with us on Wednesday and should be dispatched that afternoon. Expect to have the item delivered to you by the start of next week at the very latest.

I sincerely apologize for the error and any inconvenience it may have caused.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    You should listen to the first Flotsam & Jetsam album if you want to hear what Jason was really like. His time in Metallica is not representative of what he is capable of.

+1 to that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What is this crap about Anesthesia? It's probably the most overrated track in history played by the most overrated bass player. If people are going to judge a bass player on one track at least choose one where he doesn't play the bass like a 6 string. It sounds like something you'd hear in Musicmaker.

What is this crap about Anesthesia? It's probably the most overrated track in history played by the most overrated bass player. If people are going to judge a bass player on one track at least choose one where he doesn't play the bass like a 6 string. It sounds like something you'd hear in Musicmaker.

I would disagree with you there. Over rated maybe, but who before him in metal had recorded a tune like that, and who after him did?
    The fact he came up with it alone is savage...
    I'd say most people in musicmaker wouldn't make it half way through that tune on a guitar, not to mind a bass...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Les Claypool* FTW :D

*he was originally asked to be in Metallica IIRC

It's easy to knock a dead guy who didn't live long enough to fulfil his potential. Back then, there wasn't really anything else like it in, what was then, the extreme of Metal though it is a novelty tune. I've been playing bass almost 20 years now, I think Cliff was a great player, maybe not as good as the OMG crew would have you believe, but then again who does justify the level of hype. Anyone who has tried to play Battery or Disposable Heroes fingerstyle will testify to his technical skill. More than that though, his middle section in Orion is still, and probably always will be, one of my favourite pieces of music. The guy was only going to get better too, as a player and as a writer, his career lasted under four years, don't forget.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Les Claypool* FTW :D

*he was originally asked to be in Metallica IIRC

He was asked to replace Cliff

I thought he auditioned but don't recall him being asked to join?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I read somewhere,he auditioned but james said no as he was too good for the band or sumthing :confused:.

I read somewhere,he auditioned but james said no as he was too good for the band or sumthing :confused:.

This is on Wiki -
    In 1986, after the death of Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, Claypool auditioned to play bass for Metallica, playing the song "Master of Puppets" on his bass. In Metallica's Behind the Music, Claypool said that during the audition he jokingly asked the others if they wanted to "jam on some Isley Brothers tunes," after which Lars Ulrich said he's "not really used to playing this kind of music." James Hetfield remarked that Claypool didn't win the job because "he was too good."

And this is from an interview he did with this dude.
    What about artistically, there would have never been a "FRIZZLEFRY" or "BROWN" albums had you cashed in on that?
    Well, I mean, there are always points in life where you go, "What would have happened if. . .?" There was a reason why it didn't happen, I wasn't right for the part and they had the foresight to know that. I have known Kirk forever, I have known him since High School and those guys just looked at me like I was just some sort of freak which was correct.(laughs) I mean, I wouldn't have fit in very well. I don't even think that I was in the running. I think that it was just more of an interesting afterthought that my band became popular. "Hey, the guy from PRIMUS once auditioned for METALLICA."

ok, maybe the likes of the bass solo in "send me your money" by rob trujillio when he was in ST is better technically than what Cliff did, but what Cliff contributed to Metallica and what you hear on the songs are .....just great

Ní bheidh a leithéid arís ann

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'd say most people in musicmaker wouldn't make it half way through that tune on a guitar, not to mind a bass...

I can play it and i used to work in musicmaker, does that count? :D

has anyone ever sat down and tried to hear and learn the bass on call of ktulu? i could play that too back in the day....**** me thats a lesson. its pretty much a bass solo from start to finish and you cant even hear it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

lord lucan wrote: »
    new songs sound savage live i have to say. kick ass gig in london last night,back to the 'in the round' set-up,great stuff.

they played 'that was just your life','end of the line',broken,beat and scarred'.'cyanide' and 'the day that never comes' off of death magnetic and they sounded great live. they struggled slightly with TDTNC but then again they ****ed up stone cold crazy and MOP:p

looking forward to hearing more of them live when they kick off the US tour next month.

as an aside,the o2 is a top venue. it's like a gigantic mall,full of shops,bars,restaurants and a cinema as well as the music venue obv. easy to get beer inside,they even had birds going around the floor selling beer to you,deadly!!:D

Had a ball on Monday night, really enjoyed the set and I actually never mind the ****ups, understandable in S&D with the stage covered in bouncing balls.......was great craic......

agreed with the new songs, thought they came across really really well, and now I'm buzzin, looking forward to the tour in the new year.....

I think the O2 is a great venue, another plus was the pubs and restaurants were pumping out Metallica - don't know if it's just an internal music system rather than the individual places doing it, for a charity gig the lads pulled in some amount of money from merch.......

I can play it and i used to work in musicmaker, does that count? :D

has anyone ever sat down and tried to hear and learn the bass on call of ktulu? i could play that too back in the day....**** me thats a lesson. its pretty much a bass solo from start to finish and you cant even hear it!!!

sorry didn't mean the staff:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

the gh3 version is worth checking it out, much easier to listen to than the actual album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

the gh3 version is worth checking it out, much easier to listen to than the actual album

Yea, i gave that a go the other day. Its less loud!! Less clipping too! Much easier to listen to.
    I would just love this album if it had the production of the garage inc album!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

slayerking wrote: »
    Nope, didnt get mine yet!!!!:mad:
    I'm hopin it'll arrive in the morning.
    Anyone get theres yet?

got mine today. it arrived on monday while i was in london(typical!!!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1Rd1KWDP4

They were on Jools Holland last night. A bit ropey...

Yeah, ropey is defo the word.

Although, the full version that will be shown on Friday will show them playing Cyanide and Enter Sandman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1Rd1KWDP4

They were on Jools Holland last night. A bit ropey...

the start was messed up a bit I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's ironic that in the recorded version the last few minutes kind of suck, but on Jools Holland the best part about it was the last few minutes.

dunno, Lars' drum roll at the very end is atrocious,..kind of gets away with it though, as they all finish together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I saw them on jools jesus it was embarassing , my friend likes the album but i dont like what ive heard.

Pre-ordered Coffins have been shipped.

I checked my tracking number just there and the parcel is "being processed for international delivery" with Royal Mail.

Awesome. Finally.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I checked my tracking number just there and the parcel is "being processed for international delivery" with Royal Mail.

Awesome. Finally.

Cool, apparently the included demos sound better than the retail mix! looking forward to hearing your impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Awesome. Finally.

Just tried my tracking number there on the royal mail website and still nothin!!!
    Dang it......
    Hopefully it'll work later!

I'm a bit p'd off with how these trinity street guys handled the preorders. I was hopin to have it on the day of release!!
    And all that missionmetallica BS of have the album at 12:01 am on release date, which was the main reason I went platinum.
    We didnt get any download!!
    Such bull!!!:mad:

Advertisement