Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

slayerking wrote: »
    Just tried my tracking number there on the royal mail website and still nothin!!!
    Dang it......
    Hopefully it'll work later!

I'm a bit p'd off with how these trinity street guys handled the preorders. I was hopin to have it on the day of release!!
    And all that missionmetallica BS of have the album at 12:01 am on release date, which was the main reason I went platinum.
    We didnt get any download!!
    Such bull!!!:mad:
    Really? I downloaded it for free a week or so BEFORE the release date.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Really? I downloaded it for free a week or so BEFORE the release date.

:D

Yea yea, but its not the same, I wanted it fresh from the horses mouth!!!!:pac:

dam straight,he was a good bass player,but jason newstead was just as good,I think most people dont like him just because he played with a pick :rolleyes:.

Sorry but thats absolute rubbish. Cliff was incredibly creative and had a style that most could only fantasize about. I love Jason, great stage presence but his main and best known bass riff ("My Friend of Misery") uses the EXACT same notes and patterns as Anaesthesia. Cliff was far far better than Jason. What Jason had for 'Tallica was that hes an absolute legend with stage presence almost equal to Hetfield, an ability to sing backing vocals (which they dont have now) and he could play the old sh1t albeit with a pick. nothin wrong with that but since the old songs were on fingers it sounded different when jason played them. I play with both, use the fingers more but I dont look down on pick players so thats not why i say Cliff is better. Rob is a better technical player than Jason as well. Sorry but dont let your love for jasons personality influence this. Ive been playing bass a long time and Ive never met a fellow bassist who would argue with a straight face that Newsted was a better player than Burton.

Cliff was the F'in man.

And im not an elitist Metallica spastic who thinks they suck no matter what they do, i love nearly everything theyve done (cept most of St Anger)

Death magnetic is one of their best, its phenominal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Sorry but thats absolute rubbish. Cliff was incredibly creative and had a style that most could only fantasize about. I love Jason, great stage presence but his main and best known bass riff ("My Friend of Misery") uses the EXACT same notes and patterns as Anaesthesia. Cliff was far far better than Jason. What Jason had for 'Tallica was that hes an absolute legend with stage presence almost equal to Hetfield, an ability to sing backing vocals (which they dont have now) and he could play the old sh1t albeit with a pick. nothin wrong with that but since the old songs were on fingers it sounded different when jason played them. I play with both, use the fingers more but I dont look down on pick players so thats not why i say Cliff is better. Rob is a better technical player than Jason as well. Sorry but dont let your love for jasons personality influence this. Ive been playing bass a long time and Ive never met a fellow bassist who would argue with a straight face that Newsted was a better player than Burton.

Cliff was the F'in man.

And im not an elitist Metallica spastic who thinks they suck no matter what they do, i love nearly everything theyve done (cept most of St Anger)

Death magnetic is one of their best, its phenominal.

the discussion about cliff prompted me to finally transcribe this today. any bassists want to give it a go and tell me what yo think? i dont have a 24 fret (well my fretless is 24 but i'm not trying it on that!!) bass to play it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

But Cliff will always divide bassist though you get half who despise him for giving the impression that bass guitar should be played like guitar and the other half adore him for having the idea of playing his bass in guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just after listening to the Jools Holland version of the day that never comes - really poor compared to many acts that would appear on his shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

kbannon wrote: »
    Just after listening to the Jools Holland version of the day that never comes - really poor compared to many acts that would appear on his shows!

hetfields voice was shot:eek:

thats what happens when they play 3 gigs in 5 days i guess. they struggled with the song at the london show(vocals were fine),particularly the first half of the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Slightly off topic but ever wonder what happens when you mix Sad But True with Superstitious?

http://www.waxaudio.com.au/the_mashening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You get truly sad and superstitious? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sad But Superstitious. It's better than Hetfield crossed with Bryan Adams...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jools Holland is repeated tonight on BBc2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Up 2 places to take the number 1 slot on the album chart in Ireland too! :D Ive purposely avoided getting into the recent rants involving Metallica. All I know is I feckin love the music. What I will say though is Metallica will forever be damned if they do and damned if they dont. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Rockee wrote: »
    Up 2 places to take the number 1 slot on the album chart in Ireland too! :D Ive purposely avoided getting into the recent rants involving Metallica. All I know is I feckin love the music. What I will say though is Metallica will forever be damned if they do and damned if they dont. ;)

Realistically, this is their first week in the charts, as its the first full week of sales. I could have told you it would hit number 1

St Anger only hit number 3 in Great Britain in 2003. Death Magnetic beat out Glasvegas to Number 1 in a shot.

I think this has something to do with the anticipation after so many riproaring performances in UK and Ireland since the release of St Anger. Performances at the RDS, Marlay Park, Donnington, Wembley, Reading, and the O2 have given the fans what they want. And if you listen to the 2008 performance at Marlay Park relative to the 2003 venture to the RDS you can hear the band is a much tighter unit (in spite of the amazing night that was had at the RDS in August 2003).

All things considering, this album was a guaranteed Number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Well, here's what my Daughter thinks of the album:

http://vimeo.com/1766804

She's speechless.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Realistically, this is their first week in the charts, as its the first full week of sales. I could have told you it would hit number 1

I knew itd be number one too. :confused: Guess Im just happy that they are. :)

Well, here's what my Daughter thinks of the album:

http://vimeo.com/1766804

She's speechless.

Heehee thats cool. :D I fall asleep and rock out to 'Death Magnetic' so its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Why were Kings of Sh1t on before Metallica on Jools, outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I like that KOL tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Eh theres no pecking order to the running order.

The Jools Holland show caters for all sorts of tastes...which is why its great to watch! Quite enjoyed that V.V Brown girl, band were very tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I just listened to the album today and I think it's absolutely brilliant, seriously savage stuff, and I'm really happy it snatched the number one spot!

It's all just so deadly on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rockee wrote: »
    The Jools Holland show caters for all sorts of tastes...which is why its great to watch! Quite enjoyed that V.V Brown girl, band were very tight!

Actually dare I say it but I find that it follows a bit of a set pattern-2-3 indie bands, then some world music band then a soul band. Although they've had metallica on in the past I can't think of many other metal bands that have been on, (although I'm not a big metal fan). The 1950s rock style band were quite good, other than that nothing else impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

1:52 on the Jools Holland video. Ouch.... The expression on Rob's face says it all

Oh and Sad but Superstitious is f*ckin brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well as Lars said on the culture program directly after Jools the band started out as trash metal but now consider themsevles to be hard rock as there are those out there who are a lot heavier then they ever were.

SouperComputer kids can be like that some need quiet and some need noise glad you found something that works, one of mine would nod off beside the washing machine on spin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's really loud in the womb, isn't it?

could be a new market for a genre of metal no one's thought of before.
    uterinal thrash?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

feylya wrote: »
    Sad But Superstitious. It's better than Hetfield crossed with Bryan Adams...

Is it very bad that i enjoyed the Bryan Adams Hetfield :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Stev_o wrote: »
    Probably their best *waits for MoP fans to take offence to this*

i take offence to this

listened to this coffin thing last night i'm sad now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it's really loud in the womb, isn't it?

could be a new market for a genre of metal no one's thought of before.
    uterinal thrash?

Well there is the constant beat of the mother's heart.

Advertisement