Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Jools Hooland was dissapointing. Hetfield couldn't handle the verses at all. Kirks guitar was out of tune and Lars is losing it big time. Great album though. I'm just not sure can they recreate those new tunes in a live situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mongo wrote: »
    Jools Hooland was dissapointing. Hetfield couldn't handle the verses at all. Kirks guitar was out of tune and Lars is losing it big time. Great album though. I'm just not sure can they recreate those new tunes in a live situation.
    Correction, in a live 'studio' situation...

Metallica's music is meant for Stadia, Hetfield has never had a fantastic voice and it works best when there's 80,000 fans screaming along with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭heavymetalrock

faceman wrote: »
    Im looking forward to this!
    • metallica is the best band in the world, i love there that (the ungiven 3) , i went to see them last month, with my boyfriend and there were brillant, and it was my first, to see them live, would go again. love them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I thought the performance was decent last night. They are so used to Sandman it is easy to play for them.

I think they are sounding as tight and together as they have for many, many years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

they were good except for Hetfields vocals which were fairly diabolical, I thought Lars was fine, but man they looked like they were struggling with it, Hetfield looked like he was struggling to breath with the perspiration and Lars seemed like he was playing with anvil weighted drumsticks. Bass player dude seemed constipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

couple of bods that were at the jools holland thing talked to the band afterward and apparently hetfield was smothering with a cold. explains his terrible vocals considering he sounded great the night before at the 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Bass player dude seemed constipated.

Rob always looks constipated, nothing new there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

From UG forums.

End of session day, Rubin works away:
    I'm your source of song-destruction
    Tunes that hurt you ear, poor sound engineer
    Leaving spikes on my instruction
    Trust me you will see
    Volumes all you need
    Dedicated to
    How I'll limit you

Compressing faster
    Limit your Master
    Your albums sell faster
    With a loud Master
    Master

Mastered by muppets, brickwalling your dreams
    Clipping, distorting and smashing extremes
    Ruined by me, you can't hear a thing
    Just spiking snares, and auto-tuned screams
    Mastered
    Mastered
    Rubins my name, and I'll hear you scream
    Bastard
    Bastard

Need to mix this way, never you dismay
    Loud makes death magnetic clearer
    Gain monopoly, ritual Waves L3
    Squash your tracks til its severe
    Gate and you will see
    More and more dB
    Dedicated to
    How Im killing you

Compressing faster
    Limit your Master
    Your albums sell faster
    With a loud Master
    Master

Mastered
    Mastered
    Bastard
    Bastard

Master, Master, where's the version I've been after?
    Bearded, Bastard, you promised only lies
    Blaster, Blaster, recorded on a ghetto blaster?
    Laughter, laughter, laughing at those highs
    Spike to me!

Lars aint worth all that natural kick and hats
    Kirk adds wah without a reason
    Never ending phrase, Jaymz goes on for days
    Rob, your shirt is out of season
    Ill record til 5 (then)
    I will help you buy
    Sandals that suit you
    Now you look cool too

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yeah, first it was Bob Rock's fault, now it's Rubin's fault, sure it is :pac:

Stev_o wrote: »
    From UG forums.

End of session day, Rubin works away:
    I'm your source of song-destruction
    Tunes that hurt you ear, poor sound engineer
    Leaving spikes on my instruction
    Trust me you will see
    Volumes all you need
    Dedicated to
    How I'll limit you

Compressing faster
    Limit your Master
    Your albums sell faster
    With a loud Master
    Master

Mastered
    Mastered
    Bastard
    Bastard

Need to mix this way, never you dismay
    Loud makes death magnetic clearer
    Gain monopoly, ritual Waves L3
    Squash your tracks til its severe
    Gate and you will see
    More and more dB
    Dedicated to
    How Im killing you

Compressing faster
    Limit your Master
    Your albums sell faster
    With a loud Master
    Master

Mastered
    Mastered
    Bastard
    Bastard

Master, Master, where's the version I've been after?
    Bearded, Bastard, you promised only lies
    Blaster, Blaster, recorded on a ghetto blaster?
    Laughter, laughter, laughing at those highs
    Spike to me!

Lars aint worth all that natural kick and hats
    Kirk adds wah without a reason
    Never ending phrase, Jaymz goes on for days
    Rob, your shirt is out of season
    Ill record til 5 (then)
    I will help you buy
    Sandals that suit you
    Now you look cool too

:P

:D Haha, thats pretty funny. Great album too. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

All I want to say is that I'm glad this thread started off by acknowledging the apparent anti-Metallica movement that seems to caught on over the last number of years. I'm not sure what people expect from a band who have been around for so long. It's inevitable that they will change over time. Sure their new stuff is a far cry from their old stuff, big deal. I doubt that they would sell out as many venues if they created albums like those of the eighties or whenever. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with their old stuff, it's just their old stuff, and this is their new stuff. Different times, different sounds... As someone mentioned in the first few posts it wouldnt make any difference what they did nowadays, the anti-Metallica clan would be out in force regardless...

I like the album, I don't compare it to their other stuff, I listen to it as an album in its own right and I think its great. I think people squander a lot of their time being critical of things and making comparisons when that time could perhaps be better spent just enjoying the music...

Head

Head wrote: »
    All I want to say is that I'm glad this thread started off by acknowledging the apparent anti-Metallica movement that seems to caught on over the last number of years. I'm not sure what people expect from a band who have been around for so long. It's inevitable that they will change over time. Sure their new stuff is a far cry from their old stuff, big deal. I doubt that they would sell out as many venues if they created albums like those of the eighties or whenever. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with their old stuff, it's just their old stuff, and this is their new stuff. Different times, different sounds... As someone mentioned in the first few posts it wouldnt make any difference what they did nowadays, the anti-Metallica clan would be out in force regardless...

I like the album, I don't compare it to their other stuff, I listen to it as an album in its own right and I think its great. I think people squander a lot of their time being critical of things and making comparisons when that time could perhaps be better spent just enjoying the music...

Head

+1/ I think I was the one who mentioned about the anti-Metallica clan first. Im the only one out of my entire circle of friends who actually likes Metallica so Im well used to putting up with endless rambling sh1t talk about them. I love their music, and thats it. Im off to cry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rockee wrote: »
    +1/ I think I was the one who mentioned about the anti-Metallica clan first. Im the only one out of my entire circle of friends who actually likes Metallica so Im well used to putting up with endless rambling sh1t talk about them. I love their music, and thats it. Im off to cry.
    Don't cry man, because Metallica loves you! YEAH!!!! I said hell yeah!!!!!

Don't cry man, because Metallica loves you! YEAH!!!! I said hell yeah!!!!!

Thanks MagicMarker, I now shed only tears of metal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Head wrote: »

Head

I think you said it all there when you questioned if they would be selling out venues etc. if they recorded albums like they did in the 80s. When are they back in Ireland? This summer, next summer and for the rest of our lives...The albums have taken a distant 2nd to the tours.
    Also the "apparent anti Metallica movement" is fuelled by a band who have brought their fans to court, who have worn makeup in videos when they based their whole image on the opposite, who acted like a bunch of pussies on some kind of monster, and who have stagnated to the point of irrelevance, I saw them on Jools Holland the other night and it was embarassing. Call me Anti Metallica if you want , I'm just a longtime (1984) fan that has been disappointed and bewildered by them for far too long and I refuse to accept 2nd rate music and being ripped off by Metallica Inc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The rolling stones havent made a good album in decades. Yet they live off their back catelogue and sell out wherever they play. NObody knocks them for it.

If you wont like metallica's new album dont buy it. Its simple really. Wasting energy going on and on about how shoite it is or how they sold old blah blah blah, well, its a bit like listening to a 14 year old say his Da's car is better than yours.

The poster above mentioned Jools Holland, i watched it a few times now. Hetfields voice was fcuked but we all know why that is.

One thing it did do for me was give me a new like for Enter Sandman. That song to me is what Creep is to Radiohead, overplayed karaoke song. Yet the whole studio looked like the place was loving them play it. The camera cut to a number of the other artists singing along and er, bopping away to it.

Whether or not you liked their performance is one thing but we can all agree, they were WAY better than Carla Bruni!!! :D

When i was a teen and in my early 20's, whoever was the most skilled musician used to be what matter most to me. But then i just kinda grew up. Personally i dont need to hear a rehash of Master of Puppets to get off on a metallica song. If its a 2 chord song but I like it, then happy days.

If i dont like it i move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

buck65 wrote:
    I'm just a longtime (1984) fan that has been disappointed and bewildered by them for far too long and I refuse to accept 2nd rate music and being ripped off by Metallica Inc

What a crock. How were you ripped off? Did you not hear any of the music before buying the album???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

If i dont like it i move on.

If something is garbage it's good to point this out to others so they don't go wasting money on it, it can also be very cathartic

MooseJam wrote: »
    If something is garbage it's good to point this out to others so they don't go wasting money on it, it can also be very cathartic

But thats the thing with music. Everyone has their own tastes. When it comes to music, many people make it very personal for some reason. If they dont like it, they dont tolerate how other people could.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The rolling stones havent made a good album in decades. Yet they live off their back catelogue and sell out wherever they play. NObody knocks them for it.

the stones last album was great imo! and i dont get why people say 'tallica sold out, they just brought out a great album, and who they are as people ("a bunch of pussies") they are great musicians and they put on one of the best live shows ive ever seen! raaaaaaaaawk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

the stones last album was great imo! and i dont get why people say 'tallica sold out, they just brought out a great album, and who they are as people ("a bunch of pussies") they are great musicians and they put on one of the best live shows ive ever seen! raaaaaaaaawk!

There are just some people who feel it is very important for them to criticise Metallica for whatever they bring out. While I believe that Death Magnetic is a great Album, even if they had brought out an album combining all the great bits of the first four albums, some people would have continued to complain.

I got into Metallica during the Load/ReLoad era, hence I quite like that stuff, while also enjoying all of their earlier catalogue. There is nothing more annoying then the likes of Mr 1984 above claiming that they sold out after Kill Em All. It has spawned a bunch of 14 year old kids who were 2 when Load was released and 8 when St Anger was released, who are bollocking on about Metallica selling out. They remember nothing of Metal. Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Korn, and Marlyn Manson just dont add up. However, I blame the older metal fan for the crap these young kids are spouting

pffft

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

I just listened to the album today and I think it's absolutely brilliant, seriously savage stuff, and I'm really happy it snatched the number one spot!

It's all just so deadly on so many levels.

++1 Been listening to nothing else since I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

http://www.dyers.org/blog/archives/2008/09/12/why-metallica-can-shove-death-magnetic/

Some reasons here why the "Anti Metallica movement" is so strong, just for you guys who don't understand
    I don't necessarily agree with all above but I do agree with alot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

buck65 wrote: »
    a band who have brought their fans to court.

To my knowledge, they've never brought a fan to court...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tackle69 wrote: »

i assume he means the napster debacle:P

Tackle69 wrote: »

If you mean the napster thing then thats correct.

There was some punter who had a bootleg of some of their early shows and put some dubs of guitar riffs etc on it and sold it. they sued him and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

lord lucan wrote: »
    i assume he means the napster debacle:P

Exactly;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Just to pick up on what other people have said - I noticed the clipping too... was really surprised. How could that happen on any professionally produced album?

Advertisement