Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

buck65 wrote: »
    http://www.dyers.org/blog/archives/2008/09/12/why-metallica-can-shove-death-magnetic/

Some reasons here why the "Anti Metallica movement" is so strong, just for you guys who don't understand
    I don't necessarily agree with all above but I do agree with alot of it.

That was a joke... Really wtf... What a whiney little b*tch. Metallica aren't metal enough any more.

Pop music fans are a bunch of pussies in comparison to metal fans because they're not dedicated and don't live the life... blah blah blah.

If you wanted to you could say metal fans are a bunch of pussies because they don't give up everything in their lives to follow a band everywhere they go ala The Grateful Dead.

TL;DR... That article is a steaming pile of whining shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The album sounds awful. Some of the songs are pretty good, piano on the unforgiven was a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Mixed feelings on it, some good songs, some poor ones. A lot suffered from running on too long imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

That was a joke... Really wtf... What a whiney little b*tch. Metallica aren't metal enough any more.

Pop music fans are a bunch of pussies in comparison to metal fans because they're not dedicated and don't live the life... blah blah blah.

If you wanted to you could say metal fans are a bunch of pussies because they don't give up everything in their lives to follow a band everywhere they go ala The Grateful Dead.

TL;DR... That article is a steaming pile of whining shit.

The guy was talking out of his ass anyway i bet he never actually listen to Metallica but hates them dew to "Napster" so he did a quick wiki and made rant using those facts.

I mean ffs he calls AJFA their first mainstream album which made me close the rant completely because its the biggest pile of sh1te iv ever heard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mainstream success - so in that way it was their first.
    I'm a metallica fan but jesus ****ing christ open your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Personally, i think AJFA is a cracking album, far better than the bland album/ black album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

personally i love this album.i'll agree that there is some songs which are not as listenable as some of the other ones but what metallica album wasnt like that. the riffs are at least better than St.Anger *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just back from a long drive with Ride the Lightning to keep my company. Fight Fire with Fire, a perfect driving song ;) Listening to the new album after that made me realise how much things have changed.

Ive been on a serious RTL buzz the last month or so. Trapped is a feckin amazin tune. LOVE that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Just back from a long drive with Ride the Lightning to keep my company. Fight Fire with Fire, a perfect driving song ;) Listening to the new album after that made me realise how much things have changed.

Ride The Lightning=1984

Death Magnetic=2008

Of course things have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The ****storm over the crap sound on the cd continues...

http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-distortion-is.html

http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html

http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-lars-comments.html
    Rick Rubin and Metallica are solely responsible for the end product. They gave the directions, they approved it. They are not rookies and no one at the label can ever bully these guys into anything. Both parties are 800 pound gorillas in the music industry. These guys are smart and in control. You and I may not like their taste, but it's not a Chris Athens record. It's a metallica record and this is what they want to give the record buying public. Only Metallica and Rick know why it sounds like it does.

Regardless of your opinion of the music (yeah we're all entitled to our opinions, no need to repeat ourselves... again :) ) it's a good thing that people are finally becoming aware of the difference between stupidly loud and decent audio quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just got my hands on the guitar hero rip, listening to judas kiss now and all I can say is WoW.

The difference in sound is amazing, still not sure which I prefer yet...it's my first listen of the Gh version and the regular release seems punchier to my mind, time will tell which I prefer but the difference is still staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

For those who bought the vinyl version, it'd be interesting to hear how that compares to the CD - vinyl can't be mastered as loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Doctor J wrote: »
    For those who bought the vinyl version, it'd be interesting to hear how that compares to the CD - vinyl can't be mastered as loud.

Interesting point, vinyl mastering is an entirely different stack of marshalls ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

From what i've been reading on certain sites where one could avail of the vinyl copy if one wanted, the mastering mimics that of the CD's...not much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

buck65 wrote: »
    http://www.dyers.org/blog/archives/2008/09/12/why-metallica-can-shove-death-magnetic/

Some reasons here why the "Anti Metallica movement" is so strong, just for you guys who don't understand
    I don't necessarily agree with all above but I do agree with alot of it.
    It's pretty ****ing pathetic to put that much effort into ****ing on about a band you don't like anymore.Just listen to something else, jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

I'm a huge Metallica fan,bigger fan than most (over 1500 songs in itunes) but DM is a very average album.Sound is ****e,especially the drums.The Judas Kiss is one of the worst songs they've written.

Very disappointing,but then so has everything since Justice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When has the sound mix ever been right on a metallica album?

Kill Em All - too thinny
    Ride the Lighning - not as thinny, awful drum sound
    Master of puppets - em, ok actually
    Garaage Days Revisited - i like the mix on this even though its amateur mixing! :D
    ...And Justice for All - Hello anyone playing bass?
    "Metallica" - over produced
    The Load years - ehhhhhh
    St. Anger - the snare is as tight as a miser's wallet and the mix is like peeling paint
    The new one - yeah you get the drift

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i think it's safe to say that the title of most analysed band in the world safely belongs to metallica:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ Very true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Seek and Destroy-great song but the mix absolutely kills it, the drums sound very weak/soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Who cares about the mixing anymore ? If you listen to this stuff live, courtesy of some professional recording, you realise how tight these songs actually are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

millington wrote: »
    I'm a huge Metallica fan,bigger fan than most (over 1500 songs in itunes) but DM is a very average album.Sound is ****e,especially the drums.The Judas Kiss is one of the worst songs they've written.

Very disappointing,but then so has everything since Justice.

Ban this non fanboy please.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

I think Death Magnetic is absoluty fantastic. Very impressed with it i gotta say. I know im prob gonna get a load of "Your not a true metallica fan, ever since in justice... theyve gone down hill" I say, bull****. No band can do one thing over theyre entire career, theyve evolved and evolved pretty well i think. Death magnetic is definatly as good as And Justice and maybe with a few more listens i could even say its even better. Thats just my opinion anyway...

Anyway, if ya dont have it, then go out and buy it NOW! Its definatly worth a listen!!!

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

millington wrote: »
    I'm a huge Metallica fan,bigger fan than most (over 1500 songs in itunes)
    :eek: I didn't think Metallica had released anywhere near 1,500 songs, nevermind on ITunes! Is that a lot of live bootlegs or something or do you mean your entire music collection is 1,500 songs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm an even bigger Metallica fan because i have 1501 songs AND 3 posters on my wall AAAANNND i got into the pit at their gig. I rock.......

....oh but anything they've release for the last 20 years is shít. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Kill Em All sounds great. pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rockee wrote: »
    Ride The Lightning=1984

Death Magnetic=2008

Of course things have changed.

Yeah, they got older, more soft in the head, and everything gets rushed out so they can get the dressing gowns on so they can sit in front of the fire with the cup of cocoa!

Sorry, but when 24 year old album still hammers the living sh*t out of your most recent release, you've come to expect fans to live in the past as far as music releases are concerned.

Had to be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Yeah, they got older, more soft in the head, and everything gets rushed out so they can get the dressing gowns on so they can sit in front of the fire with the cup of cocoa!

Sorry, but when 24 year old album still hammers the living sh*t out of your most recent release, you've come to expect fans to live in the past as far as music releases are concerned.

Had to be said...

I actually think when some people say 'Its nowhere near as good as AJFA' theres a certain element of nostalgia attached. Some people think of a time, a place in time when they first heard that album or 'Puppets' etc but now that theyve gotten a little older its 'Death Magnetic is pants.' Only a few people, dont mean to generalise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rockee wrote: »
    I actually think when some people say 'Its nowhere near as good as AJFA' theres a certain element of nostalgia attached. Some people think of a time, a place in time when they first heard that album or 'Puppets' etc but now that theyve gotten a little older its 'Death Magnetic is pants.' Only a few people, dont mean to generalise.

Here's my view on it:
    I got into Metallica in 1990 just before the buzz of them coming off the Damaged Justice tour and going back into the studio. The hype was huge amongst the 14-19 demographic (couldn't speak for anyone else). I was spoilt as Puppets was the first album i got to hear, followed by Kill em All, and then Ride The Lightning. Justice was the last one i'd heard and it didn't leave the lasting impression on me that it did with a lot of people.

Skip forward 18 years, my mind hasn't really changed on Justice. It was missing a lot, Cliff's absense was definitely noticable, that and the fact that the album sounded like it was played on a cheap walkman with no EQ. It wasn't a case of not giving Newstead a fair chance, i actually enjoyed Garage Days Re-Revisited and still think to this day it's some of Newstead's best work with the band.

So Metallica gets released, and I convinced myself that it was a great album, until Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction gets released, and i remember what it was on that album that i missed. Speed, Anger, Agression. I still don't understand why Bob Rock's abortion of an album still received so much commercial success, to me, Skin O' My Teeth blew everything on Metallica to bits. Ashes In Your Mouth was another. Meanwhile Metallica are boring me to tears with their 11 minute video for The Unforgiven (or whatever the length the Headbangers Ball exclusive was). Load and Reload were just rehashes.

To cut a long story short, after compilations and reissues, we get St Anger in 2003, and it reeks of "Ok, we know we've gone soft in the last ten years, let's just make a load of mindless noise and hope for the best", with no bass player in the lineup and James in and out of rehab, the album ended up being a complete abortion. To add insult to injury, the music industry had changed so much since Metallica were last in a studio to record an album of new material (not counting the disc of covers they did for Garage Inc).

So for me, waiting for Death Magnetic was to see if Metallica finally got their sh*t together without having Bob Rock overproducing the albums and in general clouding their judgment (which the band have freely admitted to afterwards). It's not a case of nostalgia, it's a case of knowing what i want from a band i once heralded as high kings of metal at one point, only to see them fall from grace to the point where they sue P2P users just to get the attention back on them because their albums aren't doing the job.

As far as i'm concerned, the jury is still out on Death Magnetic. I still need to give it a few more listens.

Advertisement