Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Its better than Load, Re-Load and St. Anger. Thats enough for me. Its going to be interesting to see what the next record is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Although the release date was set for September 12th, the album was released on September 7th in France due to a leak.

Since then, we have seen the album hit the number one spot in almost 20 countries, be nominated for a countless number of awards, and stimulate a US/European Tour, which has seen a variety of raritys, and the great unplayed utilised by the band. Unlike St Anger (with a grand total of 5 songs), 9/10 Death Magnetic tracks have been played live.

However, what do the fans feel one year on ? Has the album improved your view of Metallica, which was on the wain since the St Anger debacle ?

Having seen 8/10 of the songs live, I can vouch for the fact that they rock live, and get a great crowd response. That Was Just Your Life is as good an opener as one is likely to see, while End of the Line is a great follow up.

I think many fans would pick BBS as their favourite on the album, while The Day That Never Comes is easily the best epic Metallica have created since The Unforgiven.

My Apocalypse and Judas Kiss are songs to be heard live, while Cyanide and All Nightmare Long is a rocking classic.

So, what do all ye Metallica fans think ?

Is Death Magentic a Winner or a Loser?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Het-Field wrote: »
    Although the release date was set for September 12th, the album was released on September 7th in France due to a leak.

Since then, we have seen the album hit the number one spot in almost 20 countries, be nominated for a countless number of awards, and stimulate a US/European Tour, which has seen a variety of raritys, and the great unplayed utilised by the band. Unlike St Anger (with a grand total of 5 songs), 9/10 Death Magnetic tracks have been played live.

However, what do the fans feel one year on ? Has the album improved your view of Metallica, which was on the wain since the St Anger debacle ?

Having seen 8/10 of the songs live, I can vouch for the fact that they rock live, and get a great crowd response. That Was Just Your Life is as good an opener as one is likely to see, while End of the Line is a great follow up.

I think many fans would pick BBS as their favourite on the album, while The Day That Never Comes is easily the best epic Metallica have created since The Unforgiven.

My Apocalypse and Judas Kiss are songs to be heard live, while Cyanide and All Nightmare Long is a rocking classic.

One year on i regret giving this album so much praise. At the time i guess i was just so happy it wasn't another st.anger debacle. Now though i prefer load to it....the album is ok at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Chinese Democracy is quite possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard.... ever.

Some catchy riffs but overall I find the album impossible to listen to. The songs just grate. Buckethead is obviously a fantastic guitar player, but I hate his sound/style or whatever the **** it is that he does, just irritates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Het-Field wrote: »

One year on and all it has become is a dust gatherer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

one year on and im still listening to MOP and RTL:D

but its pretty decent all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

I probably like it more now then I did then. Great album I think

Still listen to it constantly. Some excellent songs on it :D
    My favourite being My Apocalypse but That was Just Your Life and All Nightmare Long run it close.

Also starting to like the songs at first I wasn't fond of such as The End of The Line and Cyanide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Kess73 wrote: »
    One year on and all it has become is a dust gatherer for me.

Same here, although I did come back a few times for All Nightmare Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

one year on and im still listening to MOP and RTL:D

but its pretty decent all the same
    Can agree with that. That Was Just Your Life is still easily the best thing they've done since 1991. All Nightmare Long is a cracker too. The rest is ok but if it wasnt Metallica that did this album I'd probably like it a whole lot more.

newblue08 wrote: »
    Can agree with that. That Was Just Your Life is still easily the best thing they've done since 1991. All Nightmare Long is a cracker too. The rest is ok but if it wasnt Metallica that did this album I'd probably like it a whole lot more.
    If metallica didnt do this album i wouldnt have given it the light of day more than once.....im sure most people would agree, even based on the production alone. Its just a terrible cd to have to listen to.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    If metallica didnt do this album i wouldnt have given it the light of day more than once.....im sure most people would agree, even based on the production alone. Its just a terrible cd to have to listen to.

eh no not really its far from terrible in my opinion not saying is fantastical but its not a disaster.i quite enjoyed listening to it..but sill rather listen to MOP but that will never change its just such a kick ass album

eh no not really its far from terrible in my opinion not saying is fantastical but its not a disaster.i quite enjoyed listening to it..but sill rather listen to MOP but that will never change its just such a kick ass album
    I dunno i reckon if any unknown band came out with it and there was no hype about it no one would have given it the light of day in the first place imo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Some decent songs. Awful production though. That's 3 average albums in a row now...........time to pack it in maybe.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Must say I like Unforgiven 3, better album than St Anger.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Must say I like Unforgiven 3, better album than St Anger.
    I'm struggling to think of a metal album (by anyone) that I could say is not better than St. Anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd like it more if the guitars didn't sound so samey

...and drums so tinney and some solos...

The solos were a step in the right direction imo, back to the more exploratory style prior to when Hammet went all bluesy. The drums were a bit lame though, the snare is wrong again, its too round and still has a barrel-ish sound.

what solos?

• Advertisement

Production wise i think its nearly worse than st. anger

Kicks are barely audable when lars is playing double bass, and are audable when hes not,
    Snare Sounds TERRIBLE, Guitar tone sucks ASS, Mix is flat as hell, and then theres the CRAZY clipping on it.

At least st anger had guitar tone....

Production wise i think its nearly worse than st. anger

Kicks are barely audable when lars is playing double bass, and are audable when hes not,
    Snare Sounds TERRIBLE, Guitar tone sucks ASS, Mix is flat as hell, and then theres the CRAZY clipping on it.

At least st anger had guitar tone....

yar, one thing I notice is that the mixes are very plain, theres no reverb/chorus or anything, its just flat. I know on the last two album they were going for a garage band doing their first demo/album sound but meh, its just not something to aspire to, its too plain. The guitars are too scratchy and dry, the clipping was and is the unforgiven aspect of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

yar, one thing I notice is that the mixes are very plain, theres no reverb/chorus or anything, its just flat. I know on the last two album they were going for a garage band doing their first demo/album sound but meh, its just not something to aspire to, its too plain. The guitars are too scratchy and dry, the clipping was and is the unforgiven aspect of the album.

pun intended?

If you have a problem with the clipping try downloading the guitar hero ripps.

fluke wrote: »
    pun intended?

Oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Listening to Load atm, and I have to say it's one hell of an album. Totally under-rated.

i like all there albums tbh..sure some arent as good as others but there still ver catchy and just plan class in my opinion

Actually after listening to it back on the guitar hero version its a hell of a lot of a better album than i give it credit for. Still nothing amazing but i take back some of the stuff I say about it.

Actually after listening to it back on the guitar hero version its a hell of a lot of a better album than i give it credit for. Still nothing amazing but i take back some of the stuff I say about it.

ya that games pretty epic

• Advertisement

ya that games pretty epic
    I dont own it, but recently after finding out that the music went to guitar hero before it was remastered to the point where its crazily clipping I decided to download that version. Listening to that it sounds a hell of a lot better.

Advertisement