Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Death Magnetic.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

ven0m wrote: »
    the sooner people get off this 'I want it to be 20 years ago buzz' & grow the f**k up, the better! hey I wanna be able to wear drain pipe jeans again - but that sure as **** isn't gonna happen any time soon...........

So what he's saying there is they've lost it, but they're keeping going cos there's money to be made. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Did they play any new songs on any of their european gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Did they play any new songs on any of their european gigs?

nope,not yet and i doubt they will until september given the news out this evening. they're playing 2 gigs,1 in berlin and 1 in london on the 12th and 15th of september respectively,i don't think it's too far out to suggest these 2 gigs fall around the release date.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601050

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is Robert Trujillo on bass now for Metallica. One of my all time favourite bassists from Suicidal Tendencies.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wiGlDRQdXTM&feature=related

No offence intended here mate, but have you been living under a rock for the last 5/6 years? Or, a more plausible prospect, ya dont care for Tallica so ya just didnt know? He played bass on the St. Anger tour(not album) so been there for years.

Lord Lucan, expect the 12th for release over here, what withthe whole album-coming-out-Friday thing that happens here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Parsley wrote: »
    So what he's saying there is they've lost it, but they're keeping going cos there's money to be made. :pac:

Nope. Hetfield has said himself they were trying too hard to be one thing or another or trying to hard to turn **** into gold, when they should have said "it's ****, dump it". He said it was something they fell into by habit with Bob Rock, as he was always about making very polished sounding albums, which is why they hired him.

I get the feeling even with 'Metallica' the album, that there was so much less fluidity or 'style path' from start to finish. There was too much variation, & too much being focussed on neatly tying up points in the songs; 'Wherever I May Roam' is such a classic example of it, the two solos are pointless boring, expected & predictable schlock, & frankly very VERY scalar phrygian pieces, even though the whole song is dominated by this, but it drives the point home of them moving away from going 'this sucks, bin it' to going to 'mayb we can make this work'.

Hetfield said the making of this album was about at the writing stage saying 'this sucks, bin it' if it sucks & not 'well what if we did a, b, or c to it'.

Either way, this album will have fans - people will buy it, Metallica will tour & still make a buttload of cash & there's no amount of online whinge threads, or fanboy QQ threads that will deter any of that from happening.

Bottom line: Metallica cemented their place in Rock music history. Anything they've put out has at least gone platinum. They rake in more money than any other rock music act out there from touring, & have a fanbase & catalogue that spans nearly 30 years.

There are few bands even now that could ever hope to achieve that, & many who have tried, failed & are now desperately trying to resurrect themselves after failures; Motley Crue for example (and I loved the Crue back in the day just to be clear).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I get the feeling even with 'Metallica' the album, that there was so much less fluidity or 'style path' from start to finish. There was too much variation, & too much being focussed on neatly tying up points in the songs; 'Wherever I May Roam' is such a classic example of it, the two solos are pointless boring, expected & predictable schlock, & frankly very VERY scalar phrygian pieces, even though the whole song is dominated by this, but it drives the point home of them moving away from going 'this sucks, bin it' to going to 'mayb we can make this work'..

Despite its commercial success, im not a big fan of the selt titled album. It sounds almost over produced for me and plastic.

I agree re Whereever I may Roam. although in contrast i think Unforgiven is one of Hammett's best solo's throughout the Metallica catalogue. Despite my metallica fanboyism, i always felt Hammett was just a noodley-doodley kid.

faceman wrote: »
    i always felt Hammett was just a noodley-doodley kid.

Self admittedly he is, it's why he received lessons from Joe Satriani to get him out of it.

As a fanboy quickie - the seafoam green Fender strat Kirk uses in the 'I Disappear' music video was sold to him by Joe Satriani.

'Metallica' as an album to me was schlock. I even preferred Load & ReLoad to it, & that's saying something, as at least they were stylistically consistent, & far more imaginative; i.e. 'The House That Jack Built', 'The Outlaw Torn', 'Ronnie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Self admittedly he is, it's why he received lessons from Joe Satriani to get him out of it.

As a fanboy quickie - the seafoam green Fender strat Kirk uses in the 'I Disappear' music video was sold to him by Joe Satriani.

'Metallica' as an album to me was schlock. I even preferred Load & ReLoad to it, & that's saying something, as at least they were stylistically consistent, & far more imaginative; i.e. 'The House That Jack Built', 'The Outlaw Torn', 'Ronnie'.

IMO, Load is probably Metallica's most under-rated album. There are some fantastic songs on it:"Until It Sleeps", "Outlaw Torn", "Mama Said", and one of my all-time favourite Metallica songs "Bleeding Me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Surely we'll hear something new in Dublin??!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Surely we'll hear something new in Dublin??!!...

I remember them promising to play some new stuff later on in the tour alright. Seen most of the setlists on it so far and they're pretty old school but no new stuff to be found

Now playing: Sebastian Bach - American Metalhead
    via FoxyTunes

• Advertisement

IMO, Load is probably Metallica's most under-rated album. There are some fantastic songs on it:"Until It Sleeps", "Outlaw Torn", "Mama Said", and one of my all-time favourite Metallica songs "Bleeding Me".

I had ONE tiny issue with Load, that funnily enough wasn't as prevalent on ReLoad, that was the use of the octaved E chord thoughout soooooo may tracks

i.e.

E
    B
    G
    D
    A --7
    E --0

Yes, this made such a change to the usual Em that's so prevalent in Metallica-music

i.e.

E
    B
    G
    D
    A --2
    E --0

Load does have alot of creativity on it. I do like the slide guitar solo on 'Aint my bitch', I do like the entire musical landscape of 'The House That Jack Built' etc, & I frankly do like the tones used.

The new album, James is rocking Krankenstein amps & Kirk Randall's. Both brands are ones used & made famous by Dimebag Darrell for their hellacious sounds, so it gives me some hope of some decent sounding tones.

I never liked the crunch on AJFA, I thought it was so squeezed & compressed in the mix. MoP, fabulous sound. Load/ReLoad, nice unforced crunch. 'The Black Album' - ugh, horrendous guitar sound, nearly as bad as St Anger.

Although, frankly - give me a Zakk Wylde/Dimebag Darrell tone & I'm happy as a pig in

I had ONE tiny issue with Load, that funnily enough wasn't as prevalent on ReLoad, that was the use of the octaved E chord thoughout soooooo may tracks

i.e.

E
    B
    G
    D
    A --7
    E --0

Yes, this made such a change to the usual Em that's so prevalent in Metallica-music

i.e.

E
    B
    G
    D
    A --2
    E --0

Load does have alot of creativity on it. I do like the slide guitar solo on 'Aint my bitch', I do like the entire musical landscape of 'The House That Jack Built' etc, & I frankly do like the tones used.

The new album, James is rocking Krankenstein amps & Kirk Randall's. Both brands are ones used & made famous by Dimebag Darrell for their hellacious sounds, so it gives me some hope of some decent sounding tones.

I never liked the crunch on AJFA, I thought it was so squeezed & compressed in the mix. MoP, fabulous sound. Load/ReLoad, nice unforced crunch. 'The Black Album' - ugh, horrendous guitar sound, nearly as bad as St Anger.

Although, frankly - give me a Zakk Wylde/Dimebag Darrell tone & I'm happy as a pig in

I don't usually analyze the sound that degree, but as long as it rocks, I'll be happy. The problem with AJFA, was that the guy who produced/recorded it - Mike Clink of GnR fame - totally forgot about poor Jason's bass sound. There are waaaaaaaaaaaay too many layers of guitar on it too, and it just sounds horrible. Same problem with the Black album - too many layers of guitars piled on top of each other - still a bloody good album though!?

I don't usually analyze the sound that degree, but as long as it rocks, I'll be happy. The problem with AJFA, was that the guy who produced/recorded it - Mike Clink of GnR fame - totally forgot about poor Jason's bass sound. There are waaaaaaaaaaaay too many layers of guitar on it too, and it just sounds horrible. Same problem with the Black album - too many layers of guitars piled on top of each other - still a bloody good album though!?

Them's the breaks of being a kid growing up learning to play guitar when Metallica was around, & having been weened on Sabbath, Ozzy, Zep etc ...... it's a crime really.

let's not bring up the Jason-Newkid thing, cos that topic has been beaten to death, resurrected & re-beaten more times than the Hoff's career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I've said it before and will say it again; Load and to a slightly lesser extent Re-Load some of the best stuff this band have done. Definitely the best thing they've done since the 80's. I'm done with this band though, I hope the new album is terrible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Interview with Hetfield. There's an instrumental on Death Magnetic :D

feylya wrote: »

Interview with Hetfield. There's an instrumental on Death Magnetic :D

Oooooooooooold news.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You mean the Instrumental or the 3 day old video?

feylya wrote: »
    You mean the Instrumental or the 3 day old video?

The fact that there is an instrumental on the new album. This new album is getting too close for comfort to being MOP II for my liking. I don't think that it would be a good move...............?

The fact that there is an instrumental on the new album. This new album is getting too close for comfort to being MOP II for my liking. I don't think that it would be a good move...............?

So you've heard it then?

How about every actually waits until it gets released before forming an opinion on 'what this album is'. That's how our Dad's did it. That's how everyone else does it. And it's worked out pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

How about every actually waits until it gets released before forming an opinion on 'what this album is'. That's how our Dad's did it. That's how everyone else does it. And it's worked out pretty good so far.

+1 for that. Besides he basically says that it's not going to be mop2, but I like the idea that they're trying to focus on the feel of the band at that time.

The one concern I do have having listened to st anger recently is that they spend more time on the vocals this time around, but I'm confident that the album will be awesome, can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601058

:D

The 'dust' shot is fuxxing great.

Rockee wrote: »

Another video in the vein of 'I Disappear', that's pretty sweet cos I do quite like that video.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Rockee wrote: »

i hope they taped up their cabinets and equipment,that amount of dust would destroy them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Release date people.

21ag6tg.jpg

Only about 5 weeks left to wait!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Found the following info on this new video...concept is interesting.

link

I'm getting ready for another "Don't tread on me" type sh1tstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

“Rob had contributed more to this record than Jason [Newsted] had in 15 years.” *Hetfield*

Well maybe if you let him contribute to some of the albums :rolleyes:

Stev_o wrote: »
    “Rob had contributed more to this record than Jason [Newsted] had in 15 years.” *Hetfield*

Well maybe if you let him contribute to some of the albums :rolleyes:

That's only half the quote dude. He goes on to say that he didn't contribute much because "we were always putting him down".

slayerking wrote: »
    Release date people.

21ag6tg.jpg

Only about 5 weeks left to wait!!! :D

Do we in Ireland get it on the same day? Zavvi still says September 15th - which is Monday!?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I would take it as worldwide meaning worldwide, no?

P.S. That 'A' is head wrecking. If yer gonna use the old logo do it ****ing right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

which "a" is headwrecking ? they're both wrong ;)

Advertisement